Why become a member? ×

Shuker "Pub/Stealth Bass" - An All Black 33" Jazz Bass

eude

[quote name='7string' post='206949' date='May 26 2008, 11:28 PM']Can't go wrong with black, goes with any outfit you care to wear.

I hate to think what you're going to be like when you see the finished article !![/quote]

Ha ha, I know, it's gonna be a tricksy one, as I was hopefully going to go down to Jon's to pick it up, might have to invest in some adult diapers!

[quote name='Finbar' post='207533' date='May 27 2008, 08:12 PM']Was going to take a few snaps of this, but it just looked like the above pictures! Shiny and black! Didn't see much point. Looking fine either way man :)[/quote]

No bother mate, Jon kinda stole your thunder on the photos didn't he :huh:
Thanks so much for offering to take some snaps though.

Cheers,
Eude

Sounds excellent matey. I hope I get royalties for the picture of mine there!

Interestingly enough, Jon is building me a 33" 5-string. Thread to come!

Looking forward to seeing this turn out. Interesting you want Sadowsky knobs, I requested Lakland 44/55 style rubber knobs!

[quote name='Mike' post='207599' date='May 27 2008, 09:32 PM']Sounds excellent matey. I hope I get royalties for the picture of mine there!

Interestingly enough, Jon is building me a 33" 5-string. Thread to come!

Looking forward to seeing this turn out. Interesting you want Sadowsky knobs, I requested Lakland 44/55 style rubber knobs![/quote]

Hey Mike,
I do hold you and that bass responsible for me going for a Jazz in the first place :huh:

Nice to hear the 33" bug is spreading, I'm so so pleased that I went for it on my 6 string, it really makes playing much more comfortable.
The B string is as good as any high end bass I've played, and it's even better than the B I tried on a 36" high end bass, which shall remain nameless.
The real nice surprise with it is the way the higher strings seem to sing that little bit more.
How will you be stringing yours?

The knobs? I've always just liked the highend chunky look of the Sadowsky knobs, thay look like hi-fi controls to me.
I think you can buy them direct from Sadowsky, so they're not going to be impossible to get, I just hope they don't add a lot to the cost :)

Cheers,
Eude

• 2 months later...

[quote name='BassManKev' post='260687' date='Aug 12 2008, 11:13 AM']hows it goin?[/quote]

Hey Kev,
not heard much for a while unfortunately :)
I did know going in that this one wouldn't be as quick as the last one given the amount of orders Jon had on, even thought it's a pretty simple build.
I did also promise that I wouldn't make nearly as much of a pain of myself this time round and leave him be...

I've seen that some folks who ordered at the end of last year have been getting their basses near completion now, so I reckon it'll be another month at least.
Bassmonster's is probably going to be ready in the next few weeks and he ordered his about 3 months before I put the deposit down on mine.
Would seem unfair if I didn't have to wait a wee while longer.
I think I got a false sense of progress seeing the body sprayed up so soon, I think Jon worked it up quick so he could spray it with a large batch of earlier orders, still not seen any pics of the neck you see.

Still, the wait is exciting, and surprisingly not as painful as last time either.
Maybe that's cause I've already got a Shuker to keep me occupied :huh:

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Mike' post='260724' date='Aug 12 2008, 11:51 AM']I'm into month 8 for my jazz build, probably going to be at least another month![/quote]

Reckon it'll be a couple of months yet then :)

Eude

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update...

Jon is back from holiday and is working on the neck just now.
The body is all finished and ready for assembly, so it's "not a million miles away" now.
I reckon it'll be end of September, maybe early October.

Hopefully might get a couple of pics of the neck soon to add a bit of colour to this build thread...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='271555' date='Aug 28 2008, 09:38 AM']ah good news eude[/quote]

Any more news on yours mate?

Jon said he'd get me the pics of the neck laminates before the weekend, it's early stages though, roughly cut and routed for the truss rod, but that's as far for now...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='207612' date='May 27 2008, 09:46 PM']Nice to hear the 33" bug is spreading, I'm so so pleased that I went for it on my 6 string, it really makes playing much more comfortable.
The B string is as good as any high end bass I've played, and it's even better than the B I tried on a 36" high end bass, which shall remain nameless.
The real nice surprise with it is the way the higher strings seem to sing that little bit more.[/quote]

I really like the way that changing scale length has such a big effect on the sound - as you've noticed a shorter scale gives the higher strings a more vocal quality whilst making the lower strings rounder sounding. I prefer the more aggressive sound and the feel of a 36" scale but it's a very personal thing. For all the pondering we do about wood choices and so on with custom basses its amazing how the vast majority of customs are 34" scale or 35" for fives.

FWIW I'm using 38-58-78-104-134 gauge strings on my 36" scale standard tuned five.

Alex

[quote name='Sibob' post='271671' date='Aug 28 2008, 12:05 PM']It's the battle of the black/black jazzes to get finished, I think mine might have the edge thought hehe

Loving the look of yours so far though Eude

Si[/quote]

Cheers Si,
I'm getting right excited, can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='271674' date='Aug 28 2008, 12:09 PM']I really like the way that changing scale length has such a big effect on the sound - as you've noticed a shorter scale gives the higher strings a more vocal quality whilst making the lower strings rounder sounding. I prefer the more aggressive sound and the feel of a 36" scale but it's a very personal thing. For all the pondering we do about wood choices and so on with custom basses its amazing how the vast majority of customs are 34" scale or 35" for fives.

FWIW I'm using 38-58-78-104-134 gauge strings on my 36" scale standard tuned five.

Alex[/quote]

Nice one Alex, there is quite a difference, however I don't really notice a whole lot different between the 33" and 34" in the lower register.
What strings are you actually using on your bass dude?

I've been experimenting a bit, with different strings, DR Sunbeams, SIT Nickel, DR LowRider Stainless Steel and Nickel, all in the heaviest gauges I can find. I love the sound of the SUnbeams the most, but they're hard to get hold of and are a little soft, it's a toughy...
I'm on the Stainless Steel LowRiders just now and they've confirmed to me that I'm a Nickel man from now on...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='271699' date='Aug 28 2008, 12:37 PM']Nice one Alex, there is quite a difference, however I don't really notice a whole lot different between the 33" and 34" in the lower register.
What strings are you actually using on your bass dude?[/quote]

I'm using Overwater nickels - getting 36" scale strings can be challenging... But I'm very pleased with them - I've always used s/s strings previously and based on my tonal likes years ago that makes sense but I should have switched over a while back! I never found a 34" scale bass with a low B string I liked - the tension felt all wrong to me - but I like to be able to dig in. Tonewise I notice the lower strings have more top and bottom to the sound and thus less mid-bass and low-mids - they don't necessarily sound as fat but they do sound bigger if that makes sense. When I use the very upper register on my bass it tends to be for more rhythmic parts so the less singing and more piano like tone works well for me. I've been pleasantly surprised that the 38 gauge G-string has more fatness than I expected, having always used 45 gauge G's on my 34" scale basses.

Of course one can never clearly ascertain what is affecting the tone - my RIM Custom has a chambered body which may be fattening up the midrange on higher notes, that was the plan anyway!

Alex

[quote name='eude' post='271785' date='Aug 28 2008, 02:21 PM']"Patience Danielsan, Patience..." :)[/quote]

All I used to get at school! - I didnt realise that back then I had a very embarassing Ralph Macchio 'Karate Kid' hair cut.

I can't believe I have just shared that.

[quote name='dood' post='271946' date='Aug 28 2008, 06:29 PM']All I used to get at school! - I didnt realise that back then I had a very embarassing Ralph Macchio 'Karate Kid' hair cut.

I can't believe I have just shared that.[/quote]

Come one man, we gotta see pics of Dood Macchio :)

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='271949' date='Aug 28 2008, 06:31 PM']Come one man, we gotta see pics of Dood Macchio :)

Eude[/quote]

ha ha ha ha ha!!! Nooooo -hhhhh'way!!!! Yeeee haaa gWasshoppa!!

[quote name='dood' post='271990' date='Aug 28 2008, 08:05 PM']ha ha ha ha ha!!! Nooooo -hhhhh'way!!!! Yeeee haaa gWasshoppa!![/quote]

Well if it helps, I was out for several drinks the other night with one of my old pals, a drummer who I used to play with.
He's in the process of getting some old videos of our original band digitised, including one of us jamming in my parents living room back when we where all 13 - now that will be embarrassing!

I'll probably have to put up some screen grabs from it once it's done...

Cheers,
Eude

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Awesome,
finally got some pics of the neck!

Got word from Jon, he reckons the bass will be ready to rock towards the end of the month.
It's been a while, but I know the wait will be worth it when I get my filthy mitts on it.

Now, here's the pics >>

[attachment=15669:DSCN5054.jpg]
[attachment=15670:DSCN5053.jpg]
[attachment=15671:DSCN5055.jpg]

I reckon the Mahogany/Wenge neck looks right tasty.

Anyone see the stock J Bass on the Shuker site?
It's got me all excited...

Cheers,
Eude

Edited by eude