Why become a member? ×

multi effects.

chrisd24

after playing around with a guitarist friends of mine effects i want some! im thinking the best introduction to this would be a multi effects unit as i can play around with a multitude of effects that way,although im pretty clueless as i have NEVER used effects live or otherwise.

After a quick perusal of the net the boss gt6b looks quite promising and come up second hand quite a lot,any negatives towards it here? also be thankful for any other recommendations.

+1 for the ME50b. It's an easy bit of kit to use & very useable live.

Depending how you are with "techy" stuff, Line 6 & Zoom are also worth looking at, though these tend to be a bit more in line with simple synth programming for going beyond presets (nothing hard, just changing parameters on a LCD display & the manual will explain it).

+1 for GT6b.
I don`t know why they have a rep for complication. Anyone used to using sub menus (phones computers cash machines!)can breeze through this and it took me very little time to put some great multi patches together.
They also have a good amount of hands on controls for quick tweaks.
The full manuals for this and the Boss ME50 can be found online and I recommend reading through them for an idea of how they are set up.
MM

Nah mate, what you need is a Zoom B2.1u - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=147961&hl=sprocketflup"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...hl=sprocketflup[/url] or a Korg AX10B - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=148125&hl=sprocketflup"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...hl=sprocketflup[/url]

:)

Didn't like the bypass on the 6, it coloured my sound but if you are not going to turn it off it was a great bit of kit.

Using a Zoom b2.1u at the moment which although doesn't have as much functionality as the 6 (you can only scroll through patches as opposed to being able to turn effects on and off in a patch with the 6) its a great peice of kit that is easy to set up

I'm pretty techy and quite enjoy setting stuff up so that side of things doesn't really bother me,but now I'm in 2 minds and split between the me50b and the gt6b,it seems the gt6b has amp modelling and a di where as the me50b doesn't so it would better suit a live/recording situation,any further pros and cons from owners of these units?

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1342734' date='Aug 17 2011, 09:08 AM']+1 for GT6b.
I don`t know why they have a rep for complication. Anyone used to using sub menus (phones computers cash machines!)can breeze through this and it took me very little time to put some great multi patches together.
They also have a good amount of hands on controls for quick tweaks.
The full manuals for this and the Boss ME50 can be found online and I recommend reading through them for an idea of how they are set up.
MM[/quote]

It's not to do with the controls, it's to do with the amount of parameters. If someone's trying to get to grips with effects, it's better not to go overboard being able to modify every little thing. I used to be really into guitar effects and knew the Gt6 inside out but it could still take me over and hour to set up a patch I was happy with which if you're trying to learn would be frustrating.

The Me50 is set out like a few stomp boxes and has the controls you'd expect on them so is more intuitive and less fiddly.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1342824' date='Aug 17 2011, 10:15 AM']It's not to do with the controls, it's to do with the amount of parameters. If someone's trying to get to grips with effects, it's better not to go overboard being able to modify every little thing. I used to be really into guitar effects and knew the Gt6 inside out but it could still take me over and hour to set up a patch I was happy with which if you're trying to learn would be frustrating.

The Me50 is set out like a few stomp boxes and has the controls you'd expect on them so is more intuitive and less fiddly.[/quote]

Are the quality of the effects the same?

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1342830' date='Aug 17 2011, 10:26 AM']Are the quality of the effects the same?[/quote]

Yep, afaik it's the same cosm circuits in both, the GT6B just has more options. Unless you're desperate for amp sims (which I found unusable on the guitar version) or very odd FX that you'll probably never use, the ME is the better bet IMO.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1342885' date='Aug 17 2011, 11:04 AM']Yep, afaik it's the same cosm circuits in both, the GT6B just has more options. Unless you're desperate for amp sims (which I found unusable on the guitar version) or very odd FX that you'll probably never use, the ME is the better bet IMO.[/quote]

I think I'm sold on the me,now just a matter of one coming up for sale here or on the bay!

If you're after just effects rather than cab/amp simulation, look at the Line6 M5/M9/M13.

They're amazing sounding stomp box modellers which offer fairly powerful tweakability but near idiot proof simplicity. True bypass when not in use so you maintain your tone.

Having owned and used a GT6B, a Bass POD XT Live and numerous stomp pedals over the years, I've gotta say my M13 is the best sounding, most flexible and easy to use multi-fx so far for me.

[url="http://uk.line6.com/products/stompboxpedals/"]http://uk.line6.com/products/stompboxpedals/[/url]

T

after 20 years playing, owning several large pedal boards, myriad mutli fx including the GT boss series, over 60 basses and 50 20 amps, i can safely and confidently say that the single best bit of kit i have EVER owned is my Zoom B9.1ut

Its LIGHT YEARS ahead of the Boss, its a far more modern and up to date processor with INSTANT switching. Very high quality sounds and options, including the two way wah pedal capable of controlling 4 seperate parameters; and a valve. Its a STUNNING bit of equipment. Dont be fooled by the zoom name, its top notch, high quality, top end kit.

I simply cant recommend it enough

[quote name='tonyf' post='1343010' date='Aug 17 2011, 12:42 PM']If you're after just effects rather than cab/amp simulation, look at the Line6 M5/M9/M13.

They're amazing sounding stomp box modellers which offer fairly powerful tweakability but near idiot proof simplicity. True bypass when not in use so you maintain your tone.

Having owned and used a GT6B, a Bass POD XT Live and numerous stomp pedals over the years, I've gotta say my M13 is the best sounding, most flexible and easy to use multi-fx so far for me.

[url="http://uk.line6.com/products/stompboxpedals/"]http://uk.line6.com/products/stompboxpedals/[/url]

T[/quote]

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1343057' date='Aug 17 2011, 01:15 PM']after 20 years playing, owning several large pedal boards, myriad mutli fx including the GT boss series, over 60 basses and 50 20 amps, i can safely and confidently say that the single best bit of kit i have EVER owned is my Zoom B9.1ut

Its LIGHT YEARS ahead of the Boss, its a far more modern and up to date processor with INSTANT switching. Very high quality sounds and options, including the two way wah pedal capable of controlling 4 seperate parameters; and a valve. Its a STUNNING bit of equipment. Dont be fooled by the zoom name, its top notch, high quality, top end kit.

I simply cant recommend it enough[/quote]

Ok i had pretty much made my my mind up until you both showed up! :) I had already had a bit of a read up on the line 6 stuff but zoom hadn't even entered my head (think its because I recall a guitarist having one of their first multi pedals and hated it!)

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1343126' date='Aug 17 2011, 02:05 PM']also am i right in thinking the zoom is also a usb interface?![/quote]

Yes, and I think they come with Cubase software (my old B2 certianly did). I likedthe Zoom, and I'm sure the B9 sounds great. For me, the advantage the ME50b has is ease of use in the "stompbox" mode - effectively you have the compressor plus three independant stompboxes with good old fashioned knobs rather than menus! Much easier to make changes on the hoof live.

But, if you use programmed presets, the Zoom undoubtedley switches between patches much quicker than the ME50b.

Personally, I would recommend the ME50b for live use (used in stompbox mode), but the Zoom for recording - depends which you need to do.

[quote name='simon1964' post='1343159' date='Aug 17 2011, 02:28 PM']Yes, and I think they come with Cubase software (my old B2 certianly did). I likedthe Zoom, and I'm sure the B9 sounds great. For me, the advantage the ME50b has is ease of use in the "stompbox" mode - effectively you have the compressor plus three independant stompboxes with good old fashioned knobs rather than menus! Much easier to make changes on the hoof live.

But, if you use programmed presets, the Zoom undoubtedley switches between patches much quicker than the ME50b.

Personally, I would recommend the ME50b for live use (used in stompbox mode), but the Zoom for recording - depends which you need to do.[/quote]

See now i want both of them, you're really not helping my bank balance you know!

I use the zoom very effectively as a series of stompboxes (there is a manual mode) but all I did was find my perfect setting of eq and compression, then copy it into a load of banks, then go through and drop chorus, reverb, flange etc etc over the top. I have two banks of filters alone!
I then repeated them all in the higher banks but with cabinet simulation for recording/headphone practice. Perfick!!
It also has a 3.5mm aux in for an iPod so it's the perfect practice tool.
What I do is always use the first pedal as my clean sound no matter what bank I'm in :)
The three function pedals can each be assigned to whatever you like too.
Cleverly you can set up say a dirty sound, but then use the switch under the wah to kick in another effect on top, like chorus for instance! Marvellous.
It is indeed a USB midi computer interface doo dah as well and comes with cubase.

It makes the boss me and GT units look prehistoric by comparison, and is actually far easier to work with and program despite being just as deep.

The near perfect FX solution.

Edited by gafbass02

• 3 weeks later...

im trying to figure out which multy fx to get at the moment as well i had a go on the boss me50g and the wha wha was awsome, but i want something more indepth, amp modeling isnt esential for me but id like somthing that u can set the expretion pedal to alot of perameters like modulation and gigable (heavy duty ish), i was wodering if all the boss muties had the same wha wha? or if wny one could point me in the direction of a multy that suits these needs, much apreatiated, thanks