Why become a member? ×

Getting into teaching

SisterAbdullahX

I'm considering getting into teaching and would appreciate any advice anyone has. My first move was going to be to buy the RGT books and get graded and then onto the Registry. The only real experience I have is from covering for a friend (who is probably the best bass player in the north east, actually, there's no probably about it, he is!) years ago, when he went on holiday. To be honest, I found it quite terrifying, mainly because some of his students were already at a high level and I went in quite unprepared due to time constraints. I have found myself being drawn to it again over the last year or so (in fact I may have posted something like this before, but I can't find it if I did), but have obviously learnt the importance of being well prepared. I'd like to know what syllabus/books do people favour? How do you get into becoming a peripatetic? I don't have a music room so how much would I expect to pay to rent a room in a shop? How much can be earned and just generally what do you all advise? Ta!

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='1342056' date='Aug 16 2011, 04:20 PM']I'm considering getting into teaching and would appreciate any advice anyone has. My first move was going to be to buy the RGT books and get graded and then onto the Registry. The only real experience I have is from covering for a friend (who is probably the best bass player in the north east, actually, there's no probably about it, he is!) years ago, when he went on holiday. To be honest, I found it quite terrifying, mainly because some of his students were already at a high level and I went in quite unprepared due to time constraints. I have found myself being drawn to it again over the last year or so (in fact I may have posted something like this before, but I can't find it if I did), but have obviously learnt the importance of being well prepared. I'd like to know what syllabus/books do people favour? How do you get into becoming a peripatetic? I don't have a music room so how much would I expect to pay to rent a room in a shop? How much can be earned and just generally what do you all advise? Ta![/quote]

It is one thing to have the knowledge itself, but be sure that you have the teaching ability to be able to convey it. Teaching is a different thing altogether. Some people have the skill/talant/vocation for it, while others dont.

[quote name='Coilte' post='1342168' date='Aug 16 2011, 05:34 PM']It is one thing to have the knowledge itself, but be sure that you have the teaching ability to be able to convey it. Teaching is a different thing altogether. Some people have the skill/talant/vocation for it, while others dont.[/quote]

Yep, agreed. I feel the only way for me to truly find out is to do it.

[quote name='scalpy' post='1342248' date='Aug 16 2011, 06:42 PM']It sounds daft, but actually practise your explanations, to the point of scripting them if necessary. Record them, and play them back. The best teachers are clear, concise and positive.[/quote]

This seems like good advice until you consider that to a degree, the ability to teach is a natural gift/talent. If you were to adopt this method, in all likelyhood a potential teacher would sound like a human juke box. IMO being clear, precise and positive is (or is not !) part of a person's natural personality.

OP, you are right, the only way to find out is to give it a try.

Edited by Coilte

I have just left college teaching after 17 years. Its a very fragile place at the moment within institution. Private teaching is a different kettle of fish.

There are practical things that "could" help like a teaching qualification which will teach you about learning styles and theories, i.e. everyone learns things in different ways or needs things explained in varied contexts. You may find this useful, but to be honest someone with good communication and interpersonal skills will have this knowledge already subconsciously. Im a firm believer that if you can convey the information with a passion and are an expert in knowledge then you have ability to be a good teacher.

Lessons have to be enjoyable as well as informative, if you arent enjoying teaching them then its unlikely the pupil will enjoy learning.

One thing that I would say is very important is a CRB check particularly if you aren't affiliated to a school or college. In today's litigious society it gives people confidence and shows you are aware of professional expectations i feel.

Cheers

Dave

All of the above and I also urge you to seek even just advice from a group such as Business Link for help with setting up your business. You might ask 'why, what are they gonna tell me?' but there's a great deal of help out there to cover the stuff you haven't thought of yet. Been brilliant for me. Join the Musician's Union and read their handbook front to back. As much as you love playing Bass, the reason you are doing this ultimately is to make money and therefore being a business man and growing your potential as a marketeer is just as important as knowing your chops.

CRB definitely. You can get one as a sole tutor via MU. Insurance is also a must both in your own home and others. Expect to spend money on advertising. It's very important and without it, you're relying on very little to get you clients. Finally, tell everyone, even complete strangers what you do. It can be a bit uncomfortable at first, but as an example, I was sat having my car exhaust fixed the other day and the chap next to me struck up a convo and I think he mentioned the cost of the work.. My immediate reply was that I needed my car for business and explained what. Straight away 'oh my son plays bass'.. Etc etc, I now have his details. Next up, I went to the counter with my bass clef hoodie on and the staff member said 'ah you've got to be a bass player with that on!', 'I've got a guitar but never learned to play it'.. So I offered him guitar lessons. He's on my Facebook now and I can talk to him about booking up. Cost me nothing for two students!

+1 for up to date CRB certificate. Even if you are teaching from home, and we'll assume you'll end up with some under 18's to teach, parents find it reassuring.
Also, a current RGT certificate on the wall does help when selling your services.
Also RGT have a good on line resource.

Have you had lessons yourself? I found having a few lessons from a number of different tutors helped me find what worked, and, most importantly, what didn't (eg playing all your impressive chops to the student for the duration of the lesson).
The most fruitful couple of lessons I had was from a guy who wasn't that impressive a player. But he could see what was needed, then explain clearly what I needed to do, how and why.
He wasn't in the least bit intimidated by more "gifted" students, as there is always something we can learn, if we are open to learning.

When you think about the best sports coaches, very few are particularly gifted players themselves. In fact very few "stars" make good coaches.

Your job is to assess, instruct, inspire, review, assess, instruct, inspire, etc, constantly giving feedback to the student. It's not to make the student feel inadequate and dispirited by showing how great you are.
It requires hard work, preparation and a willingness to adapt to each students needs. But it is great to see people develop, particularly when they grasp a new concept.

Preach over....I'll bugger off and let the experts to tell you differently :)

[quote name='oldslapper' post='1342823' date='Aug 17 2011, 10:14 AM']+1 for up to date CRB certificate. Even if you are teaching from home, and we'll assume you'll end up with some under 18's to teach, parents find it reassuring.
Also, a current RGT certificate on the wall does help when selling your services.
Also RGT have a good on line resource.

Have you had lessons yourself? I found having a few lessons from a number of different tutors helped me find what worked, and, most importantly, what didn't (eg playing all your impressive chops to the student for the duration of the lesson).
The most fruitful couple of lessons I had was from a guy who wasn't that impressive a player. But he could see what was needed, then explain clearly what I needed to do, how and why.
He wasn't in the least bit intimidated by more "gifted" students, as there is always something we can learn, if we are open to learning.

When you think about the best sports coaches, very few are particularly gifted players themselves. In fact very few "stars" make good coaches.

Your job is to assess, instruct, inspire, review, assess, instruct, inspire, etc, constantly giving feedback to the student. It's not to make the student feel inadequate and dispirited by showing how great you are.
It requires hard work, preparation and a willingness to adapt to each students needs. But it is great to see people develop, particularly when they grasp a new concept.

Preach over....I'll bugger off and let the experts to tell you differently :)[/quote]

Yes! Great post, I totally agree with your sound advice. There's nothin like planting that first seed and watching the idea or concept grow. I love my job and the teaching part is extremely gratifying!

+ 1000000000000000000 to all of the points above.

One thing I found really useful was something my old tutor said to me when I first got into teaching. Don't have a bass with you. Just let the student hold the bass during lessons when you first start.

This makes you rely mostly on being able to explain what you want the student to do. Then you can gauge how successful you are based on how many times you have to take the bass from them to show them what you mean.

Nowadays, I sit with my bass strings facing down on my lap for most of the lesson and rarely play, which seems to really work as the students seems to learn more and enjoy it more if they're playing a lot in lessons.

Oh, and also, try not to let a student dictate the lesson. The amount of times you'll teach them something new and they'll say 'just let me practice it a couple more times'. They are often just excited that they've learnt something new and want to immerse themselves in it. Only let them practice new things in lessons if they NEED to. If they've got it, but just want to practice to perfect it, that's what home practice outside of lessons is for. Make sure you're firm yet positive (and prepared)... have the exercises/studies from the lessons written down so that they can take them home and practice/perfect it in their own time.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' date='Aug 17 2011, 10:29

One thing I found really useful was something my old tutor said to me when I first got into teaching. Don't have a bass with you. Just let the student hold the bass during lessons when you first start.

This makes you rely mostly on being able to explain what you want the student to do. Then you can gauge how successful you are based on how many times you have to take the bass from them to show them what you mean.

Nowadays, I sit with my bass strings facing down on my lap for most of the lesson and rarely play, which seems to really work as the students seems to learn more and enjoy it more if they're playing a lot in lessons.

[/quote]

Oh yeah baby!
:)

Dood, I agree it's a great part of being a musician.
I still get a buzz after lessons....silly I know. I think I get as inspired by the enthusiasm and hunger of a student as I do listening to my fav players play.
You are right about having a good business approach too, look for opportunities to sell the product.

I would like to improve as a tutor though.

I think it's important to know what you are going to teach. Are you going to be the kind of
teacher who just teaches songs and tab,or are you going to teach music-reading,scales,
arpeggios etc-interspersed with the occasional song? Or are you just going to follow the
grade books? There is a lot to consider

[quote name='Doddy' post='1342927' date='Aug 17 2011, 11:33 AM']I think it's important to know what you are going to teach. Are you going to be the kind of
teacher who just teaches songs and tab,or are you going to teach music-reading,scales,
arpeggios etc-interspersed with the occasional song? Or are you just going to follow the
grade books? There is a lot to consider[/quote]

Indeed Doddy.
I would suggest a teacher should ask the student what they are hoping to achieve.
Assess where the student is at, then plan how to bridge the gap.
Songs can be a good way of introducing helpful technique, scales, arpeggios, dots, theoretical concepts.
Its surprising the amount of "hobbiests" who start with just wanting to learn their fav bands songs that end up enjoying opening the door to the theory behind the bass lines used.
But then again I'll squeeze a year's lessons out of a diatonic chord chart :)
I'm not that bothered either way about TAB, I don't tend to use it as a teaching tool in itself, but that's a personal preference, not a judgement about the use of TAB by others.
I believe that TAB is centuries old and an early form of written instruction for stringed fretted instrument players, so has some historical gravitas, so has been around a lot longer than many of us......ermm all of us.
I try to keep in mind that students are customers, they don't have to come. Even in my little rural location there's plenty of choice for customers.
I've picked up 50% of students from other tutors who were inflexible, or lazy.
Although I can understand when someone can get fatigued by teaching and end up losing enthusiasm. I'd be interested in how other tutors keep themselves "fresh"....but that's probably another thread.

Again, I'm just a rural musician who earns a meager living out of teaching and playing, so on no level think of myself as an expert. Although I could probably hold my own in a farting competition against any of you! :)

[quote name='oldslapper' post='1342922' date='Aug 17 2011, 11:26 AM'][quote name='skej21' date='Aug 17 2011, 10:29

Dood, I agree it's a great part of being a musician.
I still get a buzz after lessons....silly I know. I think I get as inspired by the enthusiasm and hunger of a student as I do listening to my fav players play.
You are right about having a good business approach too, look for opportunities to sell the product.

I would like to improve as a tutor though.[/quote]

As a student I'm really pleased to see posts like this from you lovely tutors. I really look forward to my lessons and they always lift my spirits. I come out of a lesson really buzzing and can't wait to get home and practice what I've learned.
But I sometimes wonder if my teacher isn't sitting there thinking 'Thank God that dithering bint's gone home, now I can go and watch the footie' :)
Not that he's ever given me the impression that I'm wasting his time, but I just couldn't imagine that he's enjoying it as much as me.
So it's great to read about you people really enjoying your teaching. I hope my teacher feels the same :)