Why become a member? ×

HELL YEAH I JUST WROTE THE BEST SONG EVER!!!

Gust0o

Does anyone else find this?

I had a little jam with the guys the other night, a bit of a warm up for our more serious efforts at rehearsal on Weds, and I thought I'd bring out a couple of the ideas I'd been working on.

Right then lads, what did you make of the first one?

[i]Yeah, that was really good - sounds a lot like 34 by Karma To Burn...[/i]

Ok, bollocks: what about this?

[i]I like that. Good Velvet Revolver vibe. Sounds like Slither... [/i]

I'll admit, prior to this weekend, I was no expert in either band. But yes, they were very right.

Anyone else find this? I think I'm just having a bad time of it, as I tend to play in a style - and maybe that style has some natural limits, in terms of what the music is doing/can do. What's the etiquette?

There are only so many notes, It is very hard to come up with something that does not sound similar to something else.

But I prefer to say - Its influenced by ......... LOL

The lines that I have written are very influenced by Tool, but also with a little bit of The Cure and Led Zep etc etc,

If you love a style of music, more so the way the bass is played I think it inevitable that its going to come out in what ever you are writing!

I did the start of a song the other night, and our drummer actually said, "its like Lateralus part II" lol :)

[quote name='Commando Jack' post='1341708' date='Aug 16 2011, 11:43 AM']Sometimes great minds think alike, and sometimes it's [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptomnesia"]cryptomnesia[/url].

Either way its quite disappointing when it happens![/quote]

Excellent. I'm off to write a song called 'Cryptomnesia' now :)

[quote name='charic' post='1341735' date='Aug 16 2011, 12:03 PM']I wrote the intro riff for newborn (on piano) years before it was released :)[/quote]

I wrote Nirvana's heart-shaped box a year before it came out, whilst writing a parody song in the style of Nirvana. Quite pleased secretly....

Also wrote Purple Haze 20 years after Jimi Hendrix (though 2 weeks before I got my first hendrix album)

There are plenty of examples of songs sounding like other ones that get all the way to being released. Some get pulled up and it goes to court but lots of times it doesn't. The longer music is around and the more people are 'creating' the more likely it is to happen, like the monkeys writing Shakespeare scenario.

[quote name='KevB' post='1341757' date='Aug 16 2011, 12:15 PM']There are plenty of examples of songs sounding like other ones that get all the way to being released. Some get pulled up and it goes to court but lots of times it doesn't. The longer music is around and the more people are 'creating' the more likely it is to happen, like the monkeys writing Shakespeare scenario.[/quote]

So what's the etiquette then, from a legal perspective? Say if I liked one I'd come up with - what level of tweaking, reengineering or rewriting, won't see you hauled over the coals for infringing some copyright or other?

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1341765' date='Aug 16 2011, 12:22 PM']So what's the etiquette then, from a legal perspective? Say if I liked one I'd come up with - what level of tweaking, reengineering or rewriting, won't see you hauled over the coals for infringing some copyright or other?[/quote]

Oasis seem to have gotten away with it.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1341765' date='Aug 16 2011, 12:22 PM']So what's the etiquette then, from a legal perspective? Say if I liked one I'd come up with - what level of tweaking, reengineering or rewriting, won't see you hauled over the coals for infringing some copyright or other?[/quote]
Don't know if there is a formal etiquette as such but as we seem to become more of a litigeous society I'd be quite careful. Irrespective of any legalities I just know if I wrote something really close to another well known song it'd grate at the back of mind so much I'd rather just bin it. From what little I've read it seems to be chord sequences that gets jumped on, if the pattern is very similar (even if transposed to a different key) it becomes a target, even if the styles and arrangements are really quite different. If it can happen to someone like George Harrison it can happen to any of us!

[quote name='KevB' post='1341791' date='Aug 16 2011, 12:41 PM']Don't know if there is a formal etiquette as such but as we seem to become more of a litigeous society I'd be quite careful. Irrespective of any legalities I just know if I wrote something really close to another well known song it'd grate at the back of mind so much I'd rather just bin it. From what little I've read it seems to be chord sequences that gets jumped on, if the pattern is very similar (even if transposed to a different key) it becomes a target, even if the styles and arrangements are really quite different. If it can happen to someone like George Harrison it can happen to any of us![/quote]

The chord sequences? Have you heard the chord sequences to most songs?:

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1341859' date='Aug 16 2011, 01:24 PM']The chord sequences? Have you heard the chord sequences to most songs?:

[/quote]

I wouldn't say the melodies of 'My Sweet Lord' and 'He's So Fine' are all that similar but the chord progression is and Harrison got pulled up for it, however I'm no expert.

You should stick some cow bell in there. If it still sounds similar then utilise some more cow bell.

If that doesn't work then you need a new cow bell.