Why become a member? ×

THUNDERBIRD PICKUPS.

Wayne Firefly

Got a 2000 T.bird and its all great, all black, new Hipshot bridge etc, but the OEM pickups are WAAAY mismatched. The neck pickup is loud and boomy as you'd expect, but the bridge pickup is thin and impossibly weedy.... approx 7 percent of the output of the neck pickup. Now Im taking this as the pickup is goosed so Im going to have to get a replacement. Everybody knows Gibson are notoriously unhelpful so Im down to an EMG-HZ replacement. Anybody know anything that might help ? Everybody seems to badmouth Barts as a non starter, Lollar dosent do them anymore and nobody else seems to have a clue. Any ideas ?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1337825' date='Aug 12 2011, 04:03 PM']As I've said the last few times replacement pickups for Thunderbirds has come up, you should check out:

[url="http://www.mikelull.com/t%20bass%20parts.htm"]Mike Lull T-Bass Pickups[/url]

or

[url="http://www.thunderbuckerranch.com/"]Thunderbuckers[/url].[/quote]
Aren't the Thunderbucker and Lull pickups the old, unique, Chrome T.Bird size whereas the newer T.Birds were fitted with relatively standard sized black soapbars? I might be wrong but it would probably be worth checking out before you shell out a massive wedge on pickups that don't fit....

By the way, if your bridge pup is only 7% I'd take a look at the wiring!

[quote name='henry norton' post='1337932' date='Aug 12 2011, 05:26 PM']Aren't the Thunderbucker ............. the old, unique, Chrome T.Bird size whereas the newer T.Birds were fitted with relatively standard sized black soapbars? I might be wrong but it would probably be worth checking out before you shell out a massive wedge on pickups that don't fit....[/quote]
Correct! There's a great deal of love for them Stateside; including from a mate of mine who has several Tbirds. If I ever do make the JAE Fenderbird apparently it's the only way to go.

Just got back, no luck with Wizard pickups, says they cannot be reworked as they are epoxy dipped and he wont make replacements and the Thunderbuckers are too big and I'd have to make the pickup rout a bit bigger and Im not having that so its back to square one as I initially suspected..... buggery.
Back to trawling until maybe something pops up... who knows ??

Obviously it depends on what sound you're after, but if this was my bass I'd be looking at routing out the pickup cavities to fit either Thunderbuckers or Mike Lulls.

Afterall if the EMGs fit it should only require a couple of mm all round routing out.

Edited by BigRedX

• 8 months later...

[quote name='Wayne Firefly' timestamp='1313329267' post='1339648']
Just got back, no luck with Wizard pickups, says they cannot be reworked as they are epoxy dipped and he wont make replacements and the Thunderbuckers are too big and I'd have to make the pickup rout a bit bigger and Im not having that so its back to square one as I initially suspected..... buggery.
Back to trawling until maybe something pops up... who knows ??
[/quote]
Try Aaron Armstrong?

[url="http://www.armstrongpickups.co.uk/"]http://www.armstrongpickups.co.uk/[/url]

The chrome Thunderbird pickups were single-coil and twangey. They produce the WISHBONE ASH tone. The black Epi and Gibson pickups are 'buckers and more mellow. I have the active Epi and it needs more mids and treble to resemble the chrome Thunderbird pickups.

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1335785203' post='1635881']
The chrome Thunderbird pickups were single-coil and twangey. They produce the WISHBONE ASH tone.
[/quote]

Are you sure? They were certainly humbuckers from the 70s re-issues onwards, and all the 60s style replacements are humbucking too.