Why become a member? ×

Markbass TRV 102P

Musicman20

Yep, used to own one. not bad at limited volume, but far from the best cab I have used. Very middl-y, not great low end extension. The ported 102 standard is MUCH better.

I used to use my trv102 on its end and angled upwards, purely as a stage monitor, which to be fair it did its job as, but I have heard better.

For the money I would not bother again. I used to be a string advocate of the MB cabs, but since trying others (Tecamp, Ashdown, Aguilar, Barefaced) I think they have a distinctive mid/wool sound, which some some but I do not.

I have heard a LM3 into a BF Super 12 T and it was an excellent tone and volume. I would think a better alternative to the TRV102P would be a 210 form tecamp/TC, or a BF Midget, or any of the nice 112 cabs out there.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1333521' date='Aug 9 2011, 01:10 PM']Yep, used to own one. not bad at limited volume, but far from the best cab I have used. Very middl-y, not great low end extension. The ported 102 standard is MUCH better.

I used to use my trv102 on its end and angled upwards, purely as a stage monitor, which to be fair it did its job as, but I have heard better.

For the money I would not bother again. I used to be a string advocate of the MB cabs, but since trying others (Tecamp, Ashdown, Aguilar, Barefaced) I think they have a distinctive mid/wool sound, which some some but I do not.

I have heard a LM3 into a BF Super 12 T and it was an excellent tone and volume. I would think a better alternative to the TRV102P would be a 210 form tecamp/TC, or a BF Midget, or any of the nice 112 cabs out there.[/quote]

+1

The only really good sounding 2x10s I have heard have been heavy and relatively big. These smaller 2x10s while a nice idea don't cut the mustard.
A better solution to small 2x10 is indeed a very good 1x12, the Barefaced midget have better frequency response and louder output, and due to it being Barefaced it sounds amazing. Or a small 1x15 as a stand alone cab, especially a 1x15 like the BF Compact. Has amazing mids and low end, just doesn't give me the top end I need.

Don't get me wrong, I like a 2x10 but light or loud arnt realistic options in the Market.

I've owned a pair of these in the past. Used one for rehearsal and small gigs, two for medium to large gigs. Always on their sides and stacked 4 speakers in line.

I like the sound of these cabs but they are middy sounding and it suited me fine. it won't suit everyone though.

In all honesty, the TRV102P is totally trounced by my Barefaced Midget. The Midget sounds far smoother, louder, and much deeper. No contest at all.

That doesn't make the TRV102P a bad cab by any means but it's not a good buy or good performer beside the Midget.

The Midget is also smaller and lighter. :)

Frank.

See, most forum members seem to love or hate Markbass cabinets. Its weird. Then you see Markbass win awards, (see their website, the TRV 210P won an award recently).

Something must be good about them because theyve been fairly popular since they came out quite a few years back.

I know you cant have loud/light/small, and loud isnt what im after. I dont want aggressive/tons of volume, I just want my Musicman basses to come through how they are.

To be fair, the TC cabs I have are great, so I could just be gassing for something I dont need.

Linus - what about the NY122?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1334163' date='Aug 9 2011, 08:49 PM']See, most forum members seem to love or hate Markbass cabinets. Its weird. Then you see Markbass win awards, (see their website, the TRV 210P won an award recently).

Something must be good about them because theyve been fairly popular since they came out quite a few years back.

I know you cant have loud/light/small, and loud isnt what im after. I dont want aggressive/tons of volume, I just want my Musicman basses to come through how they are.

To be fair, the TC cabs I have are great, so I could just be gassing for something I dont need.

Linus - what about the NY122?[/quote]

Hey Gareth, yes the NY122 does look great and would be on my list to consider for sure. For the record I just had my first rehearsal with my 2EQ Stingray and my Markbass CMD121H combo. Oh my god, my perfect setup. It sounds stunning. I have tried a MIA Jazz and Precision which have sounded good but with the Stingray, utterly amazing.

Exactly my thoughts, and as the majority of my gear is Musicman, it makes sense for me to go back to Markbass for an amp head at least. I dont know why it works, but it does. It seems all the character of the Ray/Sterling/Bongo etc comes out SOO clear, its brilliant. Hence why I wouldnt mind a small cabinet as well.

Hmmm

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1334330' date='Aug 9 2011, 10:45 PM']There is also the Club 102, which apparently has a fuller sound cf to the TRV102P, and a nice new tolex effect. Plus, it can be tilted like a monitor.[/quote]

The club looks great but I would be worried about tilting it back as the amp head would slide off the back :)

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1333923' date='Aug 9 2011, 06:24 PM']+1

The only really good sounding 2x10s I have heard have been heavy and relatively big. These smaller 2x10s while a nice idea don't cut the mustard.
A better solution to small 2x10 is indeed a very good 1x12, the Barefaced midget have better frequency response and louder output, and due to it being Barefaced it sounds amazing. Or a small 1x15 as a stand alone cab, especially a 1x15 like the BF Compact. Has amazing mids and low end, just doesn't give me the top end I need.

Don't get me wrong, I like a 2x10 but light or loud arnt realistic options in the Market.[/quote]

Talking ceramics here, but my 2x210 blow my 2x112 out of the water...and 115 wouldn't even get into the equation, IMO.

Of course, this is not real like for like, but the compromise of 2 manageable cabs to carry, ie 210's aren't that heavy, over 12's or 15's make this the go-to rig, IME.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1334330' date='Aug 9 2011, 10:45 PM']There is also the Club 102, which apparently has a fuller sound cf to the TRV102P, and a nice new tolex effect. Plus, it can be tilted like a monitor.[/quote]

Can't really say what your end-sound is, Gareth, but I think a modular idea of 2x210's would be THE end game.
If you are talking single cabs with single speakers, then sorry, can't help.

I wouldn't get it. The thing is of course what sort of sound you want. I like loads of treble and cut. That piezo tweeter is in my opinion impossible to manage. Turn it up more than about 2/3rds and it's just brutal. Really sounds crap and "brittle" would be a good way to describe it. If you try and turn it down you can really only turn it between 4 and 5 to get something vaguely usable. Turn it off and I would say it'd be a bit muddy.

It's not all bad news though. They are very light and have some of the most aggressive upper mid range that I've ever heard. So if the whole Justin Chancellor sound is your thing, these wouldn't be too bad for it. Just for reference.

I have played a few gigs with the Traveller pair and they were fine. I just felt that for what they were, the damn tweeter should have been better implemented. Frankly, I've never really been quite satisfied with them because of that one thing. I am tempted with the whole Barefaced but when I got these cabs I think it was only the compact that was about.

I think were I buying again I'd get a Super 15 with a tweeter or a Super 12. Pity I'm not working at the moment.

davebass66 has had one for years, he's just sold his, but he's never had a bad word to say about them, he was just looking for change and GAS. I've played with him when I was on drums and he had that and it was great. I've used them and they are great vertical, very loud for the size and punchy.

Ive been offered a very very good price on either the Club 2x10 (which is lighter and larger, with a better horn) or the NY122, (which I briefly tried and thought sounded MASSIVE, and at the time I didnt really need it, but now Im selling an RS212).

So it looks like ill try one of these new ones...both are updated drivers and upgraded horns. Both are pretty damn light for what they are.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1334550' date='Aug 10 2011, 09:12 AM']Can't really say what your end-sound is, Gareth, but I think a modular idea of 2x210's would be THE end game.
If you are talking single cabs with single speakers, then sorry, can't help.[/quote]

This is an 8 ohm 2x10, 29lbs, re-voiced, new drivers, no piezo so it has proper compression horn, nice new tolex effect, and a great size/functionality to it.

I only need one for this band, believe me, but if I were to get another it would sound fantastic no doubt.

Pics here:

[url="http://www.musik-schmidt.de/gb-Markbass-Club-102.html"]http://www.musik-schmidt.de/gb-Markbass-Club-102.html[/url]

[url="http://www.gitarrentotal.ch/node/2081"]http://www.gitarrentotal.ch/node/2081[/url]

Used to have a MB Traveller 115P, single 15" speaker with piezo tweeter. Great small size, but the tweeter was crap. If I was to get more Markbass cabs I would avoid the piezo tweeter models.

I would prob go for the Club series, I've heard good things about them. A 2x10 with either another 2x10 or that 2x12.

EDIT: my mistake, it was the New York 151 I had, still had the crap piezo tweeter though!

Edited by aldude

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1335064' date='Aug 10 2011, 02:24 PM']This is an 8 ohm 2x10, 29lbs, re-voiced, new drivers, no piezo so it has proper compression horn, nice new tolex effect, and a great size/functionality to it.

I only need one for this band, believe me, but if I were to get another it would sound fantastic no doubt.

Pics here:

[url="http://www.musik-schmidt.de/gb-Markbass-Club-102.html"]http://www.musik-schmidt.de/gb-Markbass-Club-102.html[/url]

[url="http://www.gitarrentotal.ch/node/2081"]http://www.gitarrentotal.ch/node/2081[/url][/quote]

For me..always in pairs... so much more flexibility, but then the reason I went down this route is because I wanted a large onstage monitor.
I don't get loud bands..which I accept yours might not be... thinking they can get away with a sound with a single cab.

In only the last few festivals/outdoor gigs I have done...with variations of so called decent stage montoring via P.A, not one Markbass, Ampeg, Warwick, GK and a few others cut it, IMO. I agree that the reason may not have been the marque itself, but the bass player thinking he could get away with a lightweight..in terms of sound... rig. Invariably I was offered the use of these rigs, but declined all but one..through a degree of experience, and if you don't know for sure, then don't go for it... and I was totally right.
Stage monitoring is basically 2 mixes and bass is the compromise. I make sure I can put out a good stage sound and am quite happy to scale it down once we have the onstage sound determined...but forget the days of turning up with a decent combo and thinking you'll get away with it...
It isn't worth that crap to me.... as all my stuff breaks down into a car.

For the OP..I accept the sound levels might not apply, but I go prepared..despite what the sound man says.