Why become a member? ×

Help with reggae bass

Beedster

I'm recording a reggae bass track and my first 10 or so attempts sound rushed. Looking at the Pro Tools files I'm on the beat, but clearly need to be a little behind it to get the right feel. However, I'm finding it really hard get that feel. Any tips for doing this, preferably from the playing side as opposed to in the edit :)

Thanks guys

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1330320' date='Aug 6 2011, 08:37 PM']I'm recording a reggae bass track and my first 10 or so attempts sound rushed. Looking at the Pro Tools files I'm on the beat, but clearly need to be a little behind it to get the right feel. However, I'm finding it really hard get that feel. Any tips for doing this, preferably from the playing side as opposed to in the edit :)

Thanks guys

C[/quote]
Hey Chris:

Can you post an mp3 of what you've got so far?
There are as many ways of playing reggae as there are styles within the genre.
Check out [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/ALIONBASS"]this youtube channel[/url] and listen to lots of music in the same vein you are trying to emulate.

Oh - and get a jazz bass :)

Steve.

Thanks guys (had to laugh re the Jazz bass Steve, you've got a good memory mate). Problem isn't one of tone, I've got exactly the tone I want, it's one of timing, it just feels as if the bass is pushing things along a little, which isn't the feel I want. I might try it on fretless later and see if the slightly longer attack helps at all. I guess I could just get as far away from the speakers as I can and see if that slows things down also. Dancing I will also try Phil!

In posting here I was really wondering whether anyone else had experienced the same problem and if so, how they dealt with it?

I find that my style reflects my frame of mind (to a point). If i start getting anxious, my playing gets more uptight and jumpy, which does work in some cases. Alternatively, if i force myself to over relax, and really mentally chill, then I seem to then manage that laid back feel in the playing.

Or at least that's what it feels like to my ears, haven't really done much recording :)

Chris, I can thoroughly recommend a trip to Antigua.

For the sake of research it is essential to immerse yourself in to the whole vibe.

Skin up a large doobie and chill mon.

Maybe we ought to arrange a Carribean Bass Bash out there. So many advantages, not least that no one would feel the need to slap :)

[quote name='daz' post='1336701' date='Aug 11 2011, 05:00 PM']i have the same problem. I find it almost impossible to play just off the beat, and keep time.[/quote]

I pretend to headbutt the guitarist on the onbeat and then play on the off beat - works a treat. Interestingly (or not) if I start playing more notes the drummer speeds up often to the point where it's impossible to keep up - this only happens on the skanky numbers.

Not really the sort of answer you were looking for Chris I'm sure, my only other nugget of limited wisdom is to shout out the root on the onbeat (if you haven't got a handy guitarist to air butt that is)

Thanks guys, best idea yet is the Antigua Bash.

I'm going to mess around with some very short delays to see if I can get closer to the vibe I'm after and then practice and re-record without the delay if that works. Frame of mind is important for sure, and I find that in 'studio mode' I'm often too rigid about too many aspects of the performance. A couple of beers ahead of the next tracking session, plus a whole lot of good dub to listen to beforehand might help that. Steve, I'd send the track if it were anywhere near good enough to allow anyone else to hear it yet, but thanks for the offer (re. Jazz Basses, we also had a chat a few years back about them being a good choice for reggae!).

C

We've just completed a demo in the studio and on the first track I thought I was OK. On playback I realised I was racing the beat in certain areas too much. Second take and I really worked on "slowing" things down. In my head I thought I was playing way too far behind the beat - it felt really wierd and wrong. Listened to it and everything just sounded spot on with a great feel! That was a strange experience learning the difference between my perception and reality!

It was a big wake up call for me to practice on my timing and feel. I'm now dropping early Xmas / birthday hints to family and friends about one of those handheld recorders that I can easily set going when I am practicing with either a track or metronome then I can really hear where I am against the beat. No hiding for me anymore :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1336042' date='Aug 11 2011, 08:38 AM']Thanks guys (had to laugh re the Jazz bass Steve, you've got a good memory mate). Problem isn't one of tone, I've got exactly the tone I want, it's one of timing, it just feels as if the bass is pushing things along a little, which isn't the feel I want. I might try it on fretless later and see if the slightly longer attack helps at all...

In posting here I was really wondering whether anyone else had experienced the same problem and if so, how they dealt with it?[/quote]

Tried playing really softly over the 20th fret? This gives me a longer attack. The closer I get to the bridge the more 'hurried' it sounds.

Instrument of choice: Precision bass with Chromes.

Here's a fat old bass line not in a hurry:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3lqFbEKgik&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3lqFbEKgik...feature=related[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

But what's the backing track like, Chris? Does it have a TRUE reggae feel, or is it white man reggae? If the drum track isn't right, you won't get it.

It is impossible to approach this technically. You absolutely have to feel it. You can not fake it. You can play on the beat, that's not the problem. The issue is whether your line, and the drums, are creating that particular reggae vibration you need.

Play with your thumb on the side of the fingerboard, you will get a natural delay that way but try not to over compensate. You absolutely have to be feeling it or it will sound awfully fake. You'll feel a fizz inside you when it's right.

And chris b is correct.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='redstriper' post='1330339' date='Aug 6 2011, 08:53 PM']There are as many ways of playing reggae as there are styles within the genre.[/quote]

+1 to this. The 'one drop' style of playing, where the bassline starts on beat 3 of the bar, is generally very laid-back and 'behind' the beat. The problem may also be one of shuffle or swing - some styles use a shuffle feel ('Get Up, Stand Up' by Bob Marley). If you play 'straight' eighth-notes over this, it will sound a bit forced and 'stiff'. However, 'Exodus' has much less shuffle and the bass sounds a lot more 'up-front'.

I hope this makes sense

• 2 months later...