Why become a member? ×

Bass as an investment?

Guest MoJo

Is there such a thing? Is there a particular bass that I could buy now, and use as a bass, not lock it away in a glass cabinet, that will hold it's value or even increase in value over the next ten years?

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='bassman2790' post='1329130' date='Aug 5 2011, 07:26 PM']Is there such a thing? Is there a particular bass that I could buy now, and use as a bass, not lock it away in a glass cabinet, that will hold it's value or even increase in value over the next ten years?[/quote]

According to another thread, we're going to run out of 'tone'wood in 10 years so get a couple of Warwicks while they're cheap and unfashionable!

[quote name='Shambo' post='1329134' date='Aug 5 2011, 07:28 PM']You should pick a model, buy loads of them cheap, then come back to the forum and start bigging them up over the next decade.[/quote]

:)

[quote name='bremen' post='1329135' date='Aug 5 2011, 07:29 PM']According to another thread, we're going to run out of 'tone'wood in 10 years so get a couple of Warwicks while they're cheap and unfashionable![/quote]

there might just be something in this..don't know how long you'll have to wait though..

General opinion is to only buy something you like and only buy something you can afford to lose all your money on just in case. What you buy will depend on what you want to spend too, I can't see anything that's under a grand now being worth much more any time soon barring inflation maybe. Leo based items look as safe as houses to me which is nothing new just remember that if you sell it at a later date it can take time to sell for a good price, Contrary to popular myth just because your pre CBS jazz has not sold in a week that does not make it worthless :)

I'd be looking at what's going to be the next Wal.

Small volume builder who's instruments have a unique sound that is consistent across the range, used by several high-profile musicians either exclusively or at least at an important point in their career. The wait for them to go out of business thereby limiting any future supply.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1329177' date='Aug 5 2011, 07:57 PM']Ricksfine52 is your man on this subject IMO (especially for Fenders! )[/quote]

Thanks

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1329207' date='Aug 5 2011, 08:26 PM']You'd be better off buying a reel of copper wire and / or a gold ingot for real investment return

[url="http://www.copperpriceuk.com/"]http://www.copperpriceuk.com/[/url]

[url="http://goldprice.org/gold-price-uk.html"]http://goldprice.org/gold-price-uk.html[/url][/quote]

A much better investment opportunity agreed, but rather difficult to get a tune out of a reel of copper :)

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='bassman2790' post='1329130' date='Aug 5 2011, 07:26 PM']Is there such a thing? Is there a particular bass that I could buy now, and use as a bass, not lock it away in a glass cabinet, that will hold it's value or even increase in value over the next ten years?[/quote]
Looking at the difference in price between 60s (mega-bucks) - 70s (fairly expensive) - 80s(will get there) Fenders, I`d get a 70s Fender. They`re already more expensive than a US Standard, and I can`t see them decreasing.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='apa' post='1329589' date='Aug 6 2011, 08:45 AM']Whats a pickup then? :)

A[/quote]

Now you've given a heads up to every scutter out there. We'll see a rise in pick-up thefts and it'll be all your fault :)

There is more to investment than just the prices going up.

Question is, how long is the investment; and, there is usually
a trade-off between uncertainty and returns. With other words,
a safe investment may be something you buy that does surely
not lose any money. So you want to diversify to minimise
risk. How about building up a bass fonds: buy a top model
of every respected luthier (so people who don't sign trash),
so that you end up with say 20 instruments. Some of them
might fall in value, some keep their value, and some - though
you might not yet know which - become valuable (the right
player picking them up).

Investment in instruments is just like the antique market is
just like the art market. The overheads keeping the investment
in good nick are considerable. Plus, you may want to keep
an eye on these markets too.

Question is, do you think about basses, or investment? Because
if the latter is the case, there might be better alternatives.
I believe many of us lie to ourselves (or our missuses) when
talking about music as "an investment". A very bad one for
me so far - had I done work all the time I play music or browse
BC, I'd be the rich man that I'm not.

Most of the basses I've bought in the past have been sold, due to GAS, usually at a loss. One or two have held their value. I'm looking for a bass that I can play that, given that I may need to sell it to raise cash should some emergency arise, won't have lost half it's value.

I've recently bought a 2010 Ric 4003 because I've always wanted one and after an initial familiarisation period, it's now my 'go-to' bass. I paid a premium (£1800) for it. Unless Ric's continue to rise in cost, I can only see it depreciating like all my other basses.

I was thinking along the lines of a 60's or 70's Jazz which I could use at gigs but would hopefully hold it's value over the years, if not appreciate.