Why become a member? ×

Recent Fender prices!

Musicman20

I know a lot of people don`t go for the looks, but the Road Worn basses are amazing. Ok, they aren`t too far away from the US in price, but if I were buying new, I`d get one of these, based not on the price, but how bl**dy good they are.

My old MIM Active Deluxe was fantastic. Pretty inexpensive too! I bought it new as my first 'real' bass, put a Badass II on it and it sounded ace. Check it out: [url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-deluxe-active-jazz-bass"]http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender...ctive-jazz-bass[/url] :)

Edited by Ben Jamin

+1 on the Geddy.

But 2 years ago, the were about £650 tops. Now they are close to £900 for the sunburst!

I bought a 50s MIM Precision this year - which on the basis of many opinions, comes across very well vs. the Am. Std, and a fair bit cheaper.

I sold my original Geddy, but recently bought another because they're great - Sunburst, 2nd hand (couple of months old and totally as new) for £600.

2nd hand is a good way to go, or just research the bass for you. I know my days of blowing £1800 on Rics are very much over....the differences between so many basses really isn't that much, IMHO.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='1327964' date='Aug 4 2011, 10:54 PM']I've never played a Fender that is seriously flawed. I've had a MIM jazz, a MIA jazz & currently a Deluxe MIA P bass. I had the chance to play a fair few different ones when I bought my MIM & several years later the MIA. Both times some were noticeably not as good as others, but none were dogs at all. Where are all these awful Fenders people speak of on here??[/quote]

I gotta agree with this. I have had 2 of the new model P basses and the quality was spot on. The first one was £800 brand new and the second as new which cost £695 which is more like the price they should be.

There will be dodgy basses from any volume manufacturer. Mabye more from Fender as they manufacture more than anyone else. Still, this is no excuse for poor qc on occasions.

Jez

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1328037' date='Aug 4 2011, 11:47 PM']Japan seem to be making better Fenders than the Americans right now.[/quote]
They always have.

There's a rather lovely Mike Lull 5 string jazz on Ebay at the moment:
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mike-Lull-5-string-Jazz-Bass-/200635888307?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2eb6d4b2b3"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mike-Lull-5-stri...=item2eb6d4b2b3[/url]

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1328281' date='Aug 5 2011, 09:21 AM']I do like the Roadworn Fiesta Red, its lovely! However, it needs haggling down in price...£975 is far too much.[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken the road worn series are the same bass as the classic 70s jazz but "aged". If that's correct then you are paying nearly £400 for someone bashing it about.

I rate my MIM classic 70s jazz very highly and I have trouble finding much difference to my American Vintage 75 reissue jazz which would cost more than twice as much as the MIM classic 70s new. Closer to three times the price maybe.

The MIM classic 70s can be had for about £600 (they have shot up in price recently too) and they are really, really great jazz basses.

Forget about where the bass is made. It's mainly about marketing to get a higher price for a very similar, perhaps even the same, product. Don't fall for it.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' post='1331444' date='Aug 7 2011, 10:00 PM']If I'm not mistaken the road worn series are the same bass as the classic 70s jazz but "aged". If that's correct then you are paying nearly £400 for someone bashing it about.

I rate my MIM classic 70s jazz very highly and I have trouble finding much difference to my American Vintage 75 reissue jazz which would cost more than twice as much as the MIM classic 70s new. Closer to three times the price maybe.

The MIM classic 70s can be had for about £600 (they have shot up in price recently too) and they are really, really great jazz basses.

Forget about where the bass is made. It's mainly about marketing to get a higher price for a very similar, perhaps even the same, product. Don't fall for it.

Frank.[/quote]

Agreed Frank, its about the bass, not the origin. Ive played some great Squiers and some poor American Standards, and vice versa. Its about finding one, at whichever price point.