Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Recent Fender prices!

Musicman20

How about a [url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=10122116072529"]Lakland Joe Osborn / 44-60?[/url]

My experience with Lakland basses has only ever been good, although I seem to remember you had a different experience?

Mark.

Edited by tredders

I bought a Fender Jazz USA 2010 model last year and while I understand that to many they are not worth £1100 new I did not think a sadowsky was worth anywhere near £500 more. It is well known that Fender have some quality control issues but I really think that if you get a good one a USA Jazz is 90% as good as a Sadowsky and IMHO a lot better than any Lakland Skyline I have played. I also think that you get a very different sound from a Sadowsky than a Fender Jazz.

Its all personal preference, if it was me and I had anywhere near £1100 I would be looking at the Sei, Nordstrand, GB's for sale on here. If 5 strings arent your thing then there is also a stunning Nordstrand 4 string on ebay which I believe belongs to our very own eubassix. Nordy are said to be on a par with Sadowsky, Alleva, Lull, etc by a lot of folks on talkbass.

I think the current prices are too much. I paid £500 for each of my US Precisions 2nd hand, and to me, that seems about right, and would say that new they should be around the £750 - 800 mark. Over a grand is too much.

Levinson blade - if you can find a Japanese one. I haven't tried one for ages but i remember them being very well made.

And a definite +1 for a Nordy (2nd hand)...only ever tried one once but it was stunning.

I think you are right about Fender though £1100 is way too much and given the fact you have to go through every bass in the shop in the hope of finding one that isn't seriously flawed it's becoming a joke.

Edited by MartyBRebelMC

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' post='1327948' date='Aug 4 2011, 10:47 PM']I think you are right about Fender though £1100 is way too much and given the fact you have to go through every bass in the shop in the hope of finding one that isn't serious flawed it's becoming a joke.[/quote]

I've never played a Fender that is seriously flawed. I've had a MIM jazz, a MIA jazz & currently a Deluxe MIA P bass. I had the chance to play a fair few different ones when I bought my MIM & several years later the MIA. Both times some were noticeably not as good as others, but none were dogs at all. Where are all these awful Fenders people speak of on here??

[quote name='joe_bass' post='1327964' date='Aug 4 2011, 10:54 PM']I've never played a Fender that is seriously flawed. I've had a MIM jazz, a MIA jazz & currently a Deluxe MIA P bass. I had the chance to play a fair few different ones when I bought my MIM & several years later the MIA. Both times some were noticeably not as good as others, but none were dogs at all. Where are all these awful Fenders people speak of on here??[/quote]

Ive owned and sent back to the stores more than a few times in the past 2 years.

Ive played probably 8-10 American Standards (2008-) and about 2-3 were keepers. The rest had bad quality control that youd expect on a £200 starter bass.

October last year was when I bought my Fender Classic 50's Precision reissue bass, which I am more than happy with. I know that it is MIM, but the price point of the American Standards is what put me off buying one. They could be had for around £900 at that time, prior to the VAT rise from 17.5% to 20%. Now I understand they are around the £1100 mark?

Earlier this year I went up to Dawson's in Leeds, mainly just for a look around, but ended up trying out an American Standard Precision and an Aerodyne Jazz, and I have to say, the Am. Stnd. was a pretty big letdown for the price. In fairness I will say, the setup on it wasn't great at all, but it didn't feel as comfortable as my own. The Aerodyne was however, a phenomenal bass and for a while I considered selling my own Fender and buying one of those.

I understand there are other MIA alternatives to the Am. Stnd. such as the Highway 1 series and the newer American Specials, and have yet to play either, so I will reserve my full judgement on the prices of the Am. Stnd's until I have played the alternatives, or found a better example to try out.

I know there are members on here who are more than happy with their MIA Fenders, so it really is, each to their own! (:

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1327979' date='Aug 4 2011, 11:06 PM']Ive owned and sent back to the stores more than a few times in the past 2 years.

Ive played probably 8-10 American Standards (2008-) and about 2-3 were keepers. The rest had bad quality control that youd expect on a £200 starter bass.[/quote]

Fair dos, I bought both my MIM & MIA from GAK in Brighton. Maybe it's where the good ones live? :)

Well i can tell where one is right now (but better not mention the shop by name here - PM me if interested) - white USA Fender Precision - neck relief fine but action way too high...no problem just adjust the saddles...oh hang on the saddles are already wound down to the bridge plate...solution remove and shim neck to make playable. On a new bass costing more than a grand that's a serious flaw in my book. But on the whole it's oversize neck pockets and poorly aligned bridges.

oops the quote didnt come in ...re post13

But of course it doesn't mean to say that you wont be lucky and find a perfect one in which case they are lovely basses... just far too many dodgy ones out there.

Edited by MartyBRebelMC

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1327951' date='Aug 4 2011, 10:48 PM']PS Tried Lakland a few times, wasnt keen on the feel and quality in the end. Nice, but not me.

If I cant find a good Jazz the money is going into more Musicmans![/quote]

So when is Darren getting your order?

My personal favourite non-jazz jazz bass is the early/mid 80's SB2. The ones I've played have a quality of MM basses and it still sounds like a proper jazz.
Saving for a Wal myself.

You should go to a variety of shops try a load, haggle them down as much as possible, then go to other shops try a load more and then mention your quote from earlier most shops do price-matching, as long as you can prove it's legit.

However I agree AS fenders not worth 1k.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1328020' date='Aug 4 2011, 11:30 PM']So when is Darren getting your order?

My personal favourite non-jazz jazz bass is the early/mid 80's SB2. The ones I've played have a quality of MM basses and it still sounds like a proper jazz.
Saving for a Wal myself.

You should go to a variety of shops try a load, haggle them down as much as possible, then go to other shops try a load more and then mention your quote from earlier most shops do price-matching, as long as you can prove it's legit.

However I agree AS fenders not worth 1k.[/quote]

Only got the Ray HH Matching Stock on order now....trying to find a Jazz bass.

I've got to agree with the post about the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass. I played one the other day in London and although the strings on it were dead and it was quite battered, it sounded absolutely fantastic through the crappy Fender Rumble 15 amp that was in there.

Japan seem to be making better Fenders than the Americans right now. But that's my opinion :)

I played one of the new Am Special J's the other day and was impressed. £800ish for that, about right I reckoned. Would really love to try a geddy as i think I might move my Am STD P on and get a J... The neck on the J seems way more my style... Possibly cos I'm used to thin Ricky necks....