Why become a member? ×

5er for all the wrong reasons

Tandro

You guys are gonna laugh at me for this, but I've been wanting a particular bass for some time now. I had the money once, but don't anymore, Anyways, I've seen a couple times the 5 string version come up at a 'reasonable' price and been disappointed. But then I started actually thinking, I could buy the 5 string instead! Do I want to try 5 strings, sure. Did I really want to buy a 5 string anytime soon or have this great need to play them, no. I've never even tried a 5 string. I mean, I'd get a low B that must come in handy some time :) So really, I should not even consider spending a whole load of money to buy it, even if it is my dream bass. I must be ridiculous to even consider buying for this reason, right?

I bought a 5 string years ago without having tried it myself. It was a Warwick Thumb, so at least I knew the quality was going to be top notch.

I'd noticed the need (mainly due to keys songs were being played in) to down tune my E to a D a few times, so I just took a punt.

Sure it was weird, and I had to rethink the way I played bass, but to be honest, I got used to it in no time.

Just my two penneth. :)

Just buy one. 5's are great. If you don't want to use the B then consider it a long thumb-rest. :)

Bass players can be precious dears at times :) so don't get scared off by all the "I didn't get on with 5's so I'm going back to 4's" or "I couldn't get my head around it" stuff. If you stick with it you'll be fine.... there's nothing to get your head around. Just take small steps and it will come to you.

Playing a 5 string isn't a lot different to playing a 4 string.

It's been a lot of years since I made that first jump but I seem to remember that it only took a couple of hours to get to grips with the added B.

5's are no longer seen as 'a bit of a fad' and are certainly here to stay now, so getting yourself up to speed with them is definately a worthwhile exercise. :)

Just go for it man! Hell, I went from a 4-string 34" scale to a 6-string 35" scale bass in a jump (2nd bass I ever owned) purely because I liked the look of Claypool's Rainbow bass and wanted to learn a load of Primus songs...Needless to say it was rock solid to begin with but, in time, I got it and have never looked back.
So, if you wanna go for the 5-string do it. Don't let anyone tell you anything else f you wanna play one, play one. :-)

Oh...but mind what you tune. Turning the first peg when tuning an E-string and wondering why it isn't going up in pitch means your hands are on the B-string peg!
When those behemoths snap, you'll know! :-D

Thanks guys for the replies. Don't get me wrong, I do eventually want a 5 string...but I had nothing carded to get it now. My sole motivation 'at this point in time' to even think about getting this _particular_ 5 string is because...well...I can't seem to get it in 4 string cheaper! The 4 string version of this was/is my dream bass. Really speaking, if there was a 4 string version of this bass right now at a price I could afford I would snap it up. Maybe that answers my own question. If I had a choice between the 4 or 5 of _this_ bass, I would buy the 4. Now mind you, if I could afford the 4 AND 5 in it I'd be happier than a pig in mud (I would naturally want to play the 4 normally and have the 5 there for when I needed it :) ) Having a 5 in the arsenal is a good thing. But having the overriding motivation to get the 5 'because I can't get it in 4 affordably' irks me somehow, like I'm just coping out. Like I feel I should bide my time and wait for the money and right bass to be there before spending. Or has been suggested, just get the 5 for that really long thumb rest :)

You might as well try a few out and see if it suits you.

I've had a couple of 5 strings over the years and some nice ones at that too. No matter what, I've never been able to get away from the fact they're 5 strings and that I just don't get on with them as well as a 4 string or 6 string bass. Take my Alembic Epic for example. Easily the best fretless bass I'd ever played, bought for £600. It sounded great and it played beautifully and was a joy to own. I was even making good use of the B string too, on tunes like [i]|Night Of The Iguana[/i] by Joni Mitchell. But as time wore on, I was coming to terms with the fact that it was a 5 string and I was left comfortable with it.

Eventually I sold it and since then I've nearly bought a couple of 5 strings but I've reigned myself in, knowing that I won't enjoy it for whatever reason it is that makes me not enjoy 5 strings and I'm content to wait for 4 and 6 string basses to come along.

[quote name='Tandro' post='1326354' date='Aug 4 2011, 12:39 AM']You guys are gonna laugh at me for this, but I've been wanting a particular bass for some time now. I had the money once, but don't anymore, Anyways, I've seen a couple times the 5 string version come up at a 'reasonable' price and been disappointed. But then I started actually thinking, I could buy the 5 string instead! Do I want to try 5 strings, sure. Did I really want to buy a 5 string anytime soon or have this great need to play them, no. I've never even tried a 5 string. I mean, I'd get a low B that must come in handy some time :) So really, I should not even consider spending a whole load of money to buy it, even if it is my dream bass. I must be ridiculous to even consider buying for this reason, right?[/quote]

I just bought a 5, for almost the same reason :)

Firstly, the five string version seems easier to get hold of and second, the 5 string version comes in a finish which I don't think is offered on the 4s. I've never really thought "I must have a five" but if its a bass you really like then just go for it :lol:

Well guys, I thought about it all today and I won't go for my dream bass in 5 strings. Not that I don't want to or that I have anything against 5 (actually, I'm a bit more interested now to try it), but for more practical reasons. I could scrape together the money, but I would indeed be scraping it together and it just won't be the responsible thing to do, especially with recent events. As ppl have been wondering, the 5er I am SERIOUSLY GAS'ing for is the the Stage II in the for sale section. I know, I know, Warwicks are'nt for everybody...but I want a stage II so bad!!! If its one bass I need to own at some time, its that.Truth be said, three different 4 string versions did come up this year and they were about the price of this 5 or about £100 more I think (one was a definite no go though). But those were non UK sellers and maybe I just thought it would be more hassle(?)...no offence to the non UK sellers, plus I did not have the money :) This same 5 stringer has all the case candy etc. and has come up 3 times this year alone also! (Fate maybe for me to buy it? I wish). If I sell my current basses I could afford one, but I just really don't want to sell what I have, heh. I'll just stop watching the for sale section untill I _know_ I can comfortably buy what I want instead of freaking agonising over it every single time. Thanks for the comments guys. When I get that Stage II (4 or 5 string) everybody will know :)