Why become a member? ×

Safe buying protocol?

Rhythm Shack

[quote name='Johnston' post='1325646' date='Aug 3 2011, 01:45 PM']I think a few folk had hassles after someone replied to wanted adds and "Sold" them things which were paid for with the gift function[/quote]

Always be suspicious of someone replying in the wanted forum - that never happens! :)

[quote name='Machines' post='1325662' date='Aug 3 2011, 01:57 PM']I am unaware of any ban, to be honest it's something for a buyer to worry about.[/quote]

Apologies if I'm getting this completely wrong then, I'm sure Machines knows far more than I do. I think it was silddx who mentioned it, but again really not sure, though it has definitely come up on here at some point recently, I think when a few people were complaining in OT of getting scammed.

Of course, makes sense, I didnt realise the Paypal "protection" existed outside of eBay. :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1325646' date='Aug 3 2011, 01:45 PM']I dunno if it's banned but it's a bad idea because if you pay get nothing back or get a squier instead of the '51 fender you paid for as far as ebay goes yer fooked. You have no protection whats so ever. Oh and broke Paypals T&Cs .

So if Mr Scammeroo fecks off with your cash you can do nothing bar involve the plod who will probably laugh.

I think a few folk had hassles after someone replied to wanted adds and "Sold" them things which were paid for with the gift function[/quote]

From Talkbass:

PayPal recently introduced a Personal Payment option, also referred to 'Gift payment'. This option means neither seller nor buyer have to pay fees when payment is made from a bank account or PayPal balance. However, as per the PayPal usage agreement Personal Payments are not to be used for goods or services. Purchases or sales made using this option are ineligible for PayPal protection and claims filed on them will automatically be discarded.

I don't know what "PayPal protection" comprises in the US but I assume it is the same for the UK.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1325577' date='Aug 3 2011, 12:53 PM']I didn't know it was banned and I've used that method a few times - which direction do you mean?[/quote]

Same here. Ive used gift a few times at the sellers insistence on here. I know about the lack of insurance but didnt know it was banned.

i've also used the gift option on paypal (sorry if i broke the rules, is there a naughty step i should sit on for a bit?) but it was for items totalling about a tenner (which is the most i would be prepared to lose), personally i always prefer a personal meet up for an instrument but bank transfer is the next best thing (which i've used as both a buyer and now as a seller)

Matt

Sold one on here, and God did they get a bargain. No feedback. No Nothing.
Tried to sell another two. No Luck. Did better elsewhere.
Bought one. Great Transaction. Put a downpayment/holding fee on it ASAP with the seller's consent and then met up, tried out.
Liked, and thrust the readies into he vendor's sweaty mitts. Everyone happy. No Haggling. I was happy and so was the seller. Good transaction

Generally, buying on here is a good experience. There's some lovely people out there.
Selling, less so, but that's a reflection of the times rather than BC.
It really is a buyer's market right now, and may well remain so for some time....

Anyone remember an errant Warwick a year or so ago. Funds were exchanged, but alas, no bass. BC gently leans on vendor, and all is well...

Ideally, meet up and hand over cash. Not much to go wrong there...