Why become a member? ×

generic what fuzz question!

woodyratm

Hey guys,
Sorry about this but i'm out of ideas... Looking for a fuzz to finally end my GAS issue!
I'm needing a fuzz that plays well with the zvex mastatron (sp?)

Currently with the mammoth which sounds good - but it hates active basses...

Ive tried (in no order):- blowtorch, ashdown drive, several boss, muffs, rats and even a guvnor.
I want something in the vein of chris wolstenholme (uprising for example).

Ideally with a smallish footprint.

So - my bass playing brothers and sisters- go nuts - what would you suggest?

Dave

If you want a small-ish pedal I'd seriously look at the Pigtronix Polysaturator,or possibly Aria if you want
more of an overdrive. It's also worth looking at the Emma ReezaFRATzitz.

I use the Emma and/or the Pigtronix regularly.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1322447' date='Jul 31 2011, 09:16 PM']SFX Micro Fuzz? I was going to suggest D*A*M if you can find one.[/quote]

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1322924' date='Aug 1 2011, 12:53 PM']A buffer to sort out the Mastotron with active basses?[/quote]

These. If you can´t find a commercial buffer, you can either do one yourself or get Silentfly from [SFX] to make you one. Either way, it should be small.

I love my SFX microfuzz, which I play on a loop with a clean blend. Depending on your set up my preference is to have clean blend on hand (the microfuzz has perfectly decent low end retention) but if real estate on your board is at a premium there's little better than the microfuzz. max would def be able to sort you out with any variation of the standard.

The Mastotron has a buffer built in - The Mastotron is effectively a Woolley Mammoth with adjustable impedance buffer. I'm I reading correctly to say you already have a Mastotron and want another fuzz to go with it? You've tried the Mammoth already but that seems a little silly as it's the same (to my ears) as the Mastotron.

I use a Mastotron for my dark fat fuzz and a Tech 21 Red Ripper for pushing it closer to distortion. The MXR Blowtorch is definitely my pick of the rest.

go for the SFX microfuzz - I've spent alot of time with it and its forebarer as well as a custom shop microfuzz/phaser pedal - it has so much lowend that you can successfully use it on bass with the tone up to 3 o'clock (try making that sound work in a band on a muff!!) - its also got a really synthy quality to it, more natural than the blowtorch, more synthy than a fuzz.

Heres a clip of my playing the MicroFuzz section of my [SFX] Burninator and just flicking the 3-position mid-switch

[url="http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10132397"]http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10132397[/url]

Hmmm, I'd say the MXR Blowtorch, but you've already tried it.

What didn't you like about it?

I play a Warwick Stage I through it, and I'm repeatedly impressed by it when I'm playing with my band.

My settings kind of look 'wrong' and on its own it doesn't so great but in the mix it is something else.

[quote name='mike f' post='1328680' date='Aug 5 2011, 01:23 PM']Hmmm, I'd say the MXR Blowtorch, but you've already tried it.

What didn't you like about it?

I play a Warwick Stage I through it, and I'm repeatedly impressed by it when I'm playing with my band.

My settings kind of look 'wrong' and on its own it doesn't so great but in the mix it is something else.[/quote]

Could never get the tone i wanted from it. Good pedal defo but there was just something i couldnt click with. Also it wasnt actually mine.
I decided on the iron ether oxide - so thats currently winging its way to me. Maybe try pairing with the mastatron.

As an FYI - i got the tone i liked from the mastotron then pushed it to insanity with the mammoth.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1326335' date='Aug 4 2011, 12:15 AM']The pedal board on uprising was prettu simple, pretty much replicateable with a muff and Deep Impact (which you do have!)

Thats as far as i know as it was a similar set up to Time is running out which was two deep impacts[/quote]

The bass sound for the verse of Time is running out by Muse (is that what you mean?) is just a keyboard with some clean bass.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1328695' date='Aug 5 2011, 01:33 PM']The bass sound for the verse of Time is running out by Muse (is that what you mean?) is just a keyboard with some clean bass.[/quote]

Aye - same synth as Hysteria right? JP8000 (need to get my synth guy to get one :) )

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1328749' date='Aug 5 2011, 02:22 PM']yeh. I don't know if the deep impact would come close? I've never tried one[/quote]

I've got sounds like it - but for that type sound i settle for my fuzz with no actual bass.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1328695' date='Aug 5 2011, 01:33 PM']The bass sound for the verse of Time is running out by Muse (is that what you mean?) is just a keyboard with some clean bass.[/quote]

Yep thats what i mean, like the opening bassline, is 2 Deep Impacts run one after the other

I know faaar too much about Muse gear as my brother is a [i]huge[/i] muse fan boy and a contributer to the muse wiki haha,

There is no keyboard on Time is running out, i'm almost certain

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1328923' date='Aug 5 2011, 04:28 PM']Yep thats what i mean, like the opening bassline, is 2 Deep Impacts run one after the other

I know faaar too much about Muse gear as my brother is a [i]huge[/i] muse fan boy and a contributer to the muse wiki haha,

There is no keyboard on Time is running out, i'm almost certain[/quote]

Honestly dude, it's a keyboard. If you'd spent any time on the Muse messageboard you'd have heard this a million times.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1328926' date='Aug 5 2011, 04:30 PM']Honestly dude, it's a keyboard. If you'd spent any time on the Muse messageboard you'd have heard this a million times.[/quote]

This is right.

Jesus I haven't been on that forum for AGES! Kit and tab = yass!

I'm going to faff around with my deep impact and see if it can nail it at all.