Why become a member? ×

TC Polytune

tonyclaret

Hi,

I currently have a Korg Pitchblack, i love it, the screen is clear and it has been reliable throughout.

There are plenty of good reviews coming from the Polytune, what I wanted to know is how it copes or how do you set ip up to deal with alternate tunings? In my case one band I play with tune to d♯. This is a pretty straight forward process with the pitchblack, hit the string and voila! I just don't see how the strum all strings at once feature would work on alternate tunings, is there a specific set-up for de-tuning? Please enlighten me and give me your honest opinions/reviews.

Thanks
Tony
:)

Edited by tonyclaret

I use a Polytune, the 2 bands I'm in have different tunings - one is CGCF the other BEADG so I don't bother using alternate modes (I didn't even know it could :)). I do flip between guitar and bass modes at home though. With bass I just plug it in and Vwoomph (it's very fast at tracking) - I use single note tune for CGCF and both single and strum tune for BEADG or if I'm playing a 4 string in standard tuning.

I like the Polytune because it's very good for setting intonation (it's my job). I used to have a Pitchblack and a DT-10 before that, I think I preferred the DT-10 more (it can mute).

I found my Pitchblack box the other day - free to a good home if anyone needs one. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1321149' date='Jul 30 2011, 10:48 AM']I use a Polytune, the 2 bands I'm in have different tunings - one is CGCF the other BEADG so I don't bother using alternate modes (I didn't even know it could :)). I do flip between guitar and bass modes at home though. With bass I just plug it in and Vwoomph (it's very fast at tracking) - I use single note tune for CGCF and both single and strum tune for BEADG or if I'm playing a 4 string in standard tuning.

I like the Polytune because it's very good for setting intonation (it's my job). I used to have a Pitchblack and a DT-10 before that, I think I preferred the DT-10 more (it can mute).

I found my Pitchblack box the other day - free to a good home if anyone needs one. :)[/quote]

A Polytune for intonation ?

I wouldn't have thought it was accurate enough, just my thoughts, ignore me if I'm wrong.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1322275' date='Jul 31 2011, 05:02 PM']A Polytune for intonation ?

I wouldn't have thought it was accurate enough, just my thoughts, ignore me if I'm wrong.[/quote]

I think it would be. It's accurate to 0.5 cents, that's pretty accurate, there's not many others out there with that kind of accuracy at all, nothing that I've seen without spending double (turbo tuner and strobostomp are both more accurate).

I've done set ups with all kinds of tuners (including cheap clip ones and korg hand helds) and I've never had any complaints, a lot of people use Boss TU2s which are only accurate to 3 cents. Obviously using a turbo tuner or stroborack would be perfect but they're significantly more expensive and the polytune mode would be handy I imagine for quick tuning on stage. I've never felt my Korg DTR-1000 suffered for accuracy either and that's only half as accurate as the polytune.

Sorry for the long post, I'm trying to convince myself I don't NEED to spend £129 on the turbo tuner. :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1323781' date='Aug 2 2011, 02:05 AM']I think it would be. It's accurate to 0.5 cents, that's pretty accurate, there's not many others out there with that kind of accuracy at all, nothing that I've seen without spending double (turbo tuner and strobostomp are both more accurate).

I've done set ups with all kinds of tuners (including cheap clip ones and korg hand helds) and I've never had any complaints, a lot of people use Boss TU2s which are only accurate to 3 cents. Obviously using a turbo tuner or stroborack would be perfect but they're significantly more expensive and the polytune mode would be handy I imagine for quick tuning on stage. I've never felt my Korg DTR-1000 suffered for accuracy either and that's only half as accurate as the polytune.

Sorry for the long post, I'm trying to convince myself I don't NEED to spend £129 on the turbo tuner. :)[/quote]

Seriously, you DO want to spend £129 on a Turbotuner !

The Pitchblack is more accurate than the Polytune (I think).

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1325091' date='Aug 3 2011, 12:03 AM']Seriously, you DO want to spend £129 on a Turbotuner !

The Pitchblack is more accurate than the Polytune (I think).[/quote]

Want is definitely true, justifiable is another thing. I'm still trying to convince myself I don't need a 1x12 cab too, the polytune would be damage limitation whereas the TT would be gluttony. :)

Yeah, I think the polytune is 0.5 cents and the korg is 0.2. I'll have to look into them.

Only downside I've really seen of the TT (apart from being almost double the price of the polytune) is that there's no way around muting the signal when you're tuning preventing mid-song tweaks on the long notes.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1321149' date='Jul 30 2011, 10:48 AM']I found my Pitchblack box the other day - free to a good home if anyone needs one. :lol:[/quote]

Really? :) I haven't got a tuner at the moment so I'd love it! I can pay some money for it though? :)

[quote name='Ben Jamin' post='1343922' date='Aug 18 2011, 02:41 AM']Really? :) I haven't got a tuner at the moment so I'd love it! I can pay some money for it though? :lol:[/quote]
Haha I should have worded it better. It's just the box - that it came in. I though it might be handy for someone selling theirs and they'd lost the box.
Don't worry though, you're not the first to ask. :)

Ive got the Polytune app on my iPhone. It seems pretty accurate for what it is but i still dont get the need to have all strings showing at once.

Ive been using a Peterson Stroboclip for most of this year. Thats not cheap either (£65) but its more accurate, and tracks a low B etc fine.

Ive now switched to using a Snark clip on tuner. That cost me £10 but its just as accurate as any tuner ive owned, at gigs anyway. I tend to use the Peterson more for setups/intonation as its more precise but im sure it doesnt really need to be that good.

I really dont understand why people pay so much money for something that gets so little use. Is it the lights (yes Gareth, im looking at you lol)

:)

The polytune is handy for gigs, hitting all the strings means you can see what needs tuning in under a second instead of having to hit a string, mute, hit the next etc.

I find clip on tuners a pain to use. They never seem to track well in loud environments (gigs), they're awkward to look at and they look stupid while you play, not to mention the added risk of losing it (me and the guitarist in my band regularly clash headstocks and ribs).

The things worth paying for are accuracy, reliability and true bypass IMO. I'm still trying to decide n a tuner, it's only taken me about 6 months so far. :)

To be fair the strum mode is not essential for 4 stringed instruments but for guitarist it's perfect in a live situation *click - strum* and bobs your auntie.. of course it works for bass too but we are dealing with 4 pegs spread wide across the head so it's no biggy. It starts to become invaluable with 5 strings and up.
What I personally find the most useful with the Polytune is it's speed and consistency. I have owned all the usual suspects and none of them compete with the Polytune under this criteria.

Other than the above mentioned headstock bashing during gigs I would question why most people would need to tune up during a gig.

No offence meant, it's just that I've never gone out of tune whilst playing live. I know some de tune for certain songs so I suppose a tuner is needed.
Maybe I don't play had enough.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1345204' date='Aug 19 2011, 10:39 AM']Other than the above mentioned headstock bashing during gigs I would question why most people would need to tune up during a gig.[/quote]

My gutarist has a custom Gibson SG, with a really thin neck profile, that thing needs tuning every few minutes as it's sensitive to ambient temp changes. Forunately he doesn't use it much these days and only has it as back up for gigs.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1344192' date='Aug 18 2011, 11:38 AM']Ive now switched to using a Snark clip on tuner. That cost me £10 but its just as accurate as any tuner ive owned, at gigs anyway. I tend to use the Peterson more for setups/intonation as its more precise but im sure it doesnt really need to be that good.[/quote]

Does the snark deal with a low B ok? And is it backlit (ie can you use it if its dark?)

I'm really tempted by one, especially if it meant I didn't need to take pedals anywhere...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' post='1350512' date='Aug 24 2011, 05:37 PM']Does the snark deal with a low B ok? And is it backlit (ie can you use it if its dark?)

I'm really tempted by one, especially if it meant I didn't need to take pedals anywhere...[/quote]

Ive only used my Snark once on a 5 string bass but yes, it seemed to work well. I checked it with my Peterson Stroboclip and both showed correct pitch.

It does light up so yes, you can use it on a dark stage. If you have seen any images of it the coloured sections are back lit. They arent too bright but i like it like that as it doesn't draw any attention.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1351455' date='Aug 25 2011, 03:57 PM']Ive only used my Snark once on a 5 string bass but yes, it seemed to work well. I checked it with my Peterson Stroboclip and both showed correct pitch.

It does light up so yes, you can use it on a dark stage. If you have seen any images of it the coloured sections are back lit. They arent too bright but i like it like that as it doesn't draw any attention.[/quote]

Cool, I've just ordered one. Thanks for the info :)