Why become a member? ×

Out of Action For A Few Days Due To Injured Hand

Mr Bassman

Ouch!!

just back from 3 1/2 hours in A & E after my dog bit my left hand.

It was my fault, he was having a fit and then went a bit mental and as I tried to restrain him, and my left hand was in the wrong place.

Anyway I ended up in an ambulance and arrived at A & E at 6.50pm, waited 3 1/2 hours to be seen.

Strangely there was no pain leading up to the examination but now it's agony!

So, my busiest gig week so far this year will have to be depped out.

I've got tomorrow covered already, but I might need a reading bass guitarist for Fri & Sat in North Yorks, and d/b or b/g for Sunday in Bradford and Tuesday in Harrogate.

It's a double whammy financially this week cos last night I'd borrowed my wife's iPad to video our gig and it was dropped onto quarry tiles, yes the glass broke :)

Me and my dog are still friends :)

Hope you make a fast recovery, Keith. Did you lecture your dogs on the matter of the hand that feeds them?

Happened to me once when I tried to separate my two scrapping hounds. One thought my hand was the other's ear and I really got it. I had a gig that night and went to the doc rather than a long wait in A&E and he reluctantly did the stitching himself. Not the best of jobs but it got me through the (painful) gig. You'll soon heal.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='1318981' date='Jul 28 2011, 08:42 AM']...and I've got a basic Aria PJ fretless you could borrow if that'd help you get through a gig.[/quote]

Much sympathy to you - hope you get deps sorted & glad you saw the dog's point of view!!!! :) Give him a pat from me.

Hope hand gets better quickly.

G.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='1318981' date='Jul 28 2011, 08:42 AM']...and I've got a basic Aria PJ fretless you could borrow if that'd help you get through a gig.[/quote]
Kind offer but I know Keith has a PJ fretless (my old one!) so I guess the damage is bad enough that he can't play any bass in the next week ... :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1318922' date='Jul 28 2011, 05:48 AM']I can't help out Keith, unfortunately, but just wanted to wish your hand a speedy recovery. Sorry about the iPad too - will insurance cover it? All the best, Clarky[/quote]

Thanks for the wishes Clarky, I know injured your hand a while back, frustrating innit!

My fingers have swollen and I can't bend them. :P

Will look into the insurance, think I'm covered.

[quote]Not a good day for you then.

Wish you and the hound well mate.[/quote]

Thanks Gary

[quote]Hope you make a fast recovery, Keith. Did you lecture your dogs on the matter of the hand that feeds them?[/quote]

Thanks Roger, I've learned my lesson, to stay away from a dog having a fit.

[quote]Why not pm 'Jonny-lad' as he's a proper musician and I assume he can read!

...and I've got a basic Aria PJ fretless you could borrow if that'd help you get through a gig.[/quote]

Cheers Jon, I'll bear Jonny in mind, he's not too far away, and thanks for the offer of a loan bass.

I could have used the bass in Garageband on the iPad if it wasn't busted :lol:

[quote]smile.gif Give him a pat from me.[/quote]

Will do Geoff, thanks

[quote]the damage is bad enough that he can't play any bass in the next week ... sad.gif[/quote]

Looks like I'll be missing at least five gigs :) :D :lol: :lol: :)

[quote]You could try Christian Topman in York he plays both DB and BG and reads, but I don't know what his schedule is. He may not be able to do Friday, don't know about the others. He's on Facebook or I could pass on his number if you want it.[/quote]

I don't know Christian Topman, it would be useful to have his number please.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1319318' date='Jul 28 2011, 02:05 PM']I'm out at the weekend,but I could probably do the Sunday and Tuesday gigs. Message me if you
want and we can talk.[/quote]

Thanks Doddy but I've got them covered now, but will add you to my list if you like.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='1318976' date='Jul 28 2011, 08:37 AM']Why not pm 'Jonny-lad' as he's a proper musician and I assume he can read!

Jon[/quote]
Cheers for the recommendation Jon! :)

It's the first time in over two months that I've had any free time, so I could have covered some of the gigs if needed...I'm also regularly meeting reading bass players (both upright and bass guitar) who I could put forwards if I wasn't available, as I generally play at least a couple of big band gigs every week on guitar - tough reads too, so you know the musicians you meet are more than capable.

Good luck for a speedy recovery Keith.

[quote name='jonny-lad' post='1321236' date='Jul 30 2011, 12:27 PM']Cheers for the recommendation Jon! :)

It's the first time in over two months that I've had any free time, so I could have covered some of the gigs if needed...I'm also regularly meeting reading bass players (both upright and bass guitar) who I could put forwards if I wasn't available, as I generally play at least a couple of big band gigs every week on guitar - tough reads too, so you know the musicians you meet are more than capable.

Good luck for a speedy recovery Keith.[/quote]

Thanks Johnny, I thought you'd be busy, you usually are.

And big thanks to John Marley (Leeds) and Paul Baxter (York) for covering my gigs.

I went along to the 3 gigs that John covered and really enjoyed his playing.

He played his 75 Jazz on the first two and his [url="http://www.thomasmartin.co.uk/new_double_bass_sale.asp"]Thomas Martin[/url] upright through a Bose L1 Compact last night at Harrogate Jazz Club.

It's been a painful, frustrating and costly week but I've just had half an hour playing my ex Clarky Eminence upright and ex Clarky p/j fretless through my Bose L1 Compact and I'm beginning to feel better!

Hope to be gigging again by next Sunday at City Vaults in Bradford with Karen Carpenter tribute vocalist Laurie Briggs (will be jazz gig, not Carpenters) and my band the Watermelon Men.

Thanks again guys for all your well wishes.

Keith

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1326270' date='Aug 3 2011, 10:51 PM']Hope to be gigging again by next Sunday at City Vaults in Bradford with Karen Carpenter tribute vocalist Laurie Briggs (will be jazz gig, not Carpenters) and my band the Watermelon Men.[/quote]

Well I couldn't do the gig on Sunday.

I'd spent some time playing at home the night before and my hand was too sore the next day.

A friend of mine stepped in at short notice and did a fine job. Big thanks to Des from Otley.

I managed my Tuesday night gig on my ex Clarky Fender p/j, which I really enjoyed playing again, that bass is so easy on the hands, but my hand is sore again.

It'll take time, especially to get back on the upright, I've had to cancel orchestra rehearsal tomorrow.

So I'm just doing a few scales and arpeggios on my keyboard to try and loosen up the fingers.