Why become a member? ×

'Ello, I'm rubbish...

KingBollock

'Ello all. I am fairly new to the site and have enjoyed reading here for the last couple of weeks, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm an ageing Tattooed/Hippy/Rocker/Wannabe Cowboy/Miserable Bugger/Hyperactive Child.

I have been playing since 1987, when I was 12. And I'm still not very good, certainly not all those years good.

I'd love to get into a band but, other than being a bit rubbish, there are other problems... I live in a small village a few miles outside of Carmarthen in Wales, but I never learned to drive so I might as well be on the Moon. The stuff I'd like to play is quite heavy, Thrash/Death/Black/Blackened Death etc... I mentioned this in a local (ha!) guitar shop once and he actually said "Yeah, we had someone in here talking about that stuff a few years ago", 'oh' dear' I though to myself. Any time I've mentioned to musicians that I play Bass they always point me towards the kind of covers groups that makes me want to shrivel up and die inside (the sort that plays Pop music with a singer playing an acoustic guitar and a keyboard player and nothing else).
Another thing is that I have absolutely no intention of making any money whatsoever at this, I don't care if it never leaves the livingroom/garage, I just want to get together with some nice people and write some cool music. And it's never going to happen. The last time I played in a 'proper' band I was 17. I adored that band but I had to move to another town and had to leave the band. I've never got past the 'Yeah, we should totally do something!' phase, since.

My gear as listed on my MySpace page:

Cort T35
Aria Pro II, Magna series Mab 20/5
Wesfield 4 string
Peavey T-Max 500
Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro
Peavey 410TX
4x15" cabs

Dean Cadillac SE
Cort headless Flying V
Boss GX-700
Zoom GFX-707
Laney Linebacker 100
BMA stereo 500

Encore acoustic
Fender Banjo
An old classical
Mahalo Ukulele

I am a Bass player, it's what I started as and it's what I love. The other stuff is just for messing about with. My gear isn't brilliant but I have never been able to warrant spending a lot of money on it. I would if I could find an excuse/band.
As soon as I can get my wits together for long enough to learn how to use the programs I intend to do some recording myself.

Well, that's me. Nice to meet you.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1308588' date='Jul 18 2011, 11:05 PM']Bore da! You need to move to a bigger town :)

Enjoy the site![/quote]
I don't speak Welsh as I'm not Welsh (I can ask for a cup of Tea and say "It's raining again"...). My wife is Welsh but she moved to the Midlands 18 years ago, where she was lucky enough to meet me! We moved here to be closer to her parents (and further from mine) about 3 years ago. Apart from the lack of technology I don't miss being in the middle of three cities (Coventry, Leicester and Birmingham). Being a couple of miles away from an RS warehouse was pretty handy, all we've got here is a Maplins about 10 miles away, thank Dawkins for the internet!

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Buddy you're more than welcome here, I'm terrible too, though I've not been playing as long as you (I'll still be just as terrible then so don't worry).

If you get software like guitar pro, or less ideally powertab, it can be a great way to write stuff and communicate musical ideas with someone halfway around the world - or just in London like me.
Whilst it's not as great as being in the same room, it is nice to let it flow like that, a webcam and skype can also be good to get to know the person you're writing with!

[quote name='silddx' post='1310230' date='Jul 20 2011, 12:46 PM']I lived near Carmarthen for four years after moving there from Coventry. But I came to London 25 years ago.

You'll find more going on here than where you live :)

Good intro btw![/quote]
I moved here from Nuneaton, about 8 miles from Coventry. Best move I ever made, even with it's downsides. There is no way on Earth that I would move to London though, I hate cities.

And thanks!

[quote name='KingBollock' post='1311052' date='Jul 21 2011, 12:56 AM']I moved here from Nuneaton, about 8 miles from Coventry. Best move I ever made, even with it's downsides. There is no way on Earth that I would move to London though, I hate cities.

And thanks![/quote]
Sadly (in a way) I NEED the city. I adore the country so i get some of that when I go fishing.

Which village are you in then?

I lived in the middle of Llanfihangel-ar-Arth and Llandysul in a traditional Welsh stone cottage overlooking the Teifi valley with an iron age hill fort on the other side where me and my mates from Cov would go camping and injest the local mushrooms. Happy days! I used to work as an illustrator in Carmarthen Museum in Abergwili , that was one of the nicest jobs I've ever had!

[quote name='silddx' post='1311274' date='Jul 21 2011, 10:35 AM']Sadly (in a way) I NEED the city. I adore the country so i get some of that when I go fishing.

I lived in the middle of Llanfihangel-ar-Arth and Llandysul in a traditional Welsh stone cottage overlooking the Teifi valley with an iron age hill fort on the other side where me and my mates from Cov would go camping and injest the local mushrooms. Happy days! I used to work as an illustrator in Carmarthen Museum in Abergwili , that was one of the nicest jobs I've ever had![/quote]
Cross Hands.

Actually, that's another thing I really do miss, course fishing rivers and canals. There a some course lakes about but they're pretty soulless. I've ended up buying beach fishing tackle to make up for it. Can't be doing with game fishing.

[quote name='KingBollock' post='1312244' date='Jul 22 2011, 12:18 AM']Cross Hands.

Actually, that's another thing I really do miss, course fishing rivers and canals. There a some course lakes about but they're pretty soulless. I've ended up buying beach fishing tackle to make up for it. Can't be doing with game fishing.[/quote]
I know Cross Hands :)

Yes, I don't dig game fishing anymore. Coarse fishing is what I love. There are some nice little pools around there though, some decent underfished natural lakes, some hold nice carp, a couple I fished are a bit spooky! Do a bit of research and you can find some decent fishing, then go and permission to fish from the farmer. Read Casting at The Sun by Chris Yates, it might inspire you with his tales of finding secluded lakes to fish in the 1970s. There are some very good coarse rivers mate, check this site for river reports, quite a few in Wales.

There are a few commercials too, but they are a bit soulless, I agree.

Best of luck.

[quote name='KingBollock' post='1308534' date='Jul 18 2011, 09:41 PM']'Ello all. I am fairly new to the site and have enjoyed reading here for the last couple of weeks, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm an ageing Tattooed/Hippy/Rocker/Wannabe Cowboy/Miserable Bugger/Hyperactive Child.

I have been playing since 1987, when I was 12. And I'm still not very good, certainly not all those years good.

I'd love to get into a band but, other than being a bit rubbish, there are other problems... I live in a small village a few miles outside of Carmarthen in Wales, but I never learned to drive so I might as well be on the Moon. The stuff I'd like to play is quite heavy, Thrash/Death/Black/Blackened Death etc... I mentioned this in a local (ha!) guitar shop once and he actually said "Yeah, we had someone in here talking about that stuff a few years ago", 'oh' dear' I though to myself. Any time I've mentioned to musicians that I play Bass they always point me towards the kind of covers groups that makes me want to shrivel up and die inside (the sort that plays Pop music with a singer playing an acoustic guitar and a keyboard player and nothing else).
Another thing is that I have absolutely no intention of making any money whatsoever at this, I don't care if it never leaves the livingroom/garage, I just want to get together with some nice people and write some cool music. And it's never going to happen. The last time I played in a 'proper' band I was 17. I adored that band but I had to move to another town and had to leave the band. I've never got past the 'Yeah, we should totally do something!' phase, since.

My gear as listed on my MySpace page:

Cort T35
Aria Pro II, Magna series Mab 20/5
Wesfield 4 string
Peavey T-Max 500
Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro
Peavey 410TX
4x15" cabs

Dean Cadillac SE
Cort headless Flying V
Boss GX-700
Zoom GFX-707
Laney Linebacker 100
BMA stereo 500

Encore acoustic
Fender Banjo
An old classical
Mahalo Ukulele

I am a Bass player, it's what I started as and it's what I love. The other stuff is just for messing about with. My gear isn't brilliant but I have never been able to warrant spending a lot of money on it. I would if I could find an excuse/band.
As soon as I can get my wits together for long enough to learn how to use the programs I intend to do some recording myself.

Well, that's me. Nice to meet you.[/quote]

Welcome aboard, that's some pretty long list of gear for a self confessed living room bassist.

It's good here, loads of nice people and loads of info.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1316207' date='Jul 25 2011, 08:36 PM']Welcome aboard, that's some pretty long list of gear for a self confessed living room bassist.

It's good here, loads of nice people and loads of info.[/quote]
It's not in the living room, I'd never get away with that. It's all in a spare bedroom. I mentioned the living room and the garage because if I was to play with others at my house, that's where it would have to be. What with my computer desk, workbench and all my music gear, there is probably enough room for one other person in here, if they promise not to move about too much.

[quote name='silddx' post='1311274' date='Jul 21 2011, 10:35 AM']Sadly (in a way) I NEED the city. I adore the country so i get some of that when I go fishing.

I lived in the middle of Llanfihangel-ar-Arth and Llandysul in a traditional Welsh stone cottage overlooking the Teifi valley with an iron age hill fort on the other side where me and my mates from Cov would go camping and injest the local mushrooms. Happy days! I used to work as an illustrator in Carmarthen Museum in Abergwili , that was one of the nicest jobs I've ever had![/quote]

nuts i grew up in chapel dewi like a mile away from Llanfihangel-ar-Arth and my dads a landscape artist who studied some illustration coarse in Carmarthen, i still sample the local mushrooms did they grow in the park in llandysul back then?

welcome king bollock, and good luck with ur search for people to make music with im sure u will ive had no trouble and i live even more in the sticks than u in a village called drefach but then im not realy into Thrash/Death/Black/Blackened Death music

[quote name='Mugz.wood' post='1316541' date='Jul 26 2011, 05:47 AM']nuts i grew up in chapel dewi like a mile away from Llanfihangel-ar-Arth and my dads a landscape artist who studied some illustration coarse in Carmarthen, i still sample the local mushrooms did they grow in the park in llandysul back then?

welcome king bollock, and good luck with ur search for people to make music with im sure u will ive had no trouble and i live even more in the sticks than u in a village called drefach but then im not realy into Thrash/Death/Black/Blackened Death music[/quote]
Thanks.

At this point I think I'd play just about anything. Really rocking the late 70's, early 80's UFO, Whitesnake, Deep Purple kind of stuff lately. And I'd consider other genres too, especially Country, but Blues and 60's/70's Hippy type stuff too.

Edited by KingBollock