Why become a member? ×

NAD! - Hartke 5410c

dc2009

Hi all,

I've just been reliably informed that my brand new Hartke 5410c has been delivered to my home. I'm currently at work but will fill you all in on the gory details when I get back.

I was fortunate enough to be the one prize winner at the David Ellefson and Frankie Bello clinic/show put on by the dv247 music store at the moment. The guys were all really nice and I now have £830 worth of brand new model, top of the line combo Hartke for the £10 cost of my ticket. Absolutely chuffed to bits with the win, can't wait to hear how she sounds.

Dan

Pics for youuuuuuu.

She sounds fantastic. Only put the Warwick through her so far. Put the Warwick on passive, no effects no sansamp or anything in the circuit, just let the amp do the talking, and boy did it shout. It sounds great across ALL the volume and tonal ranges. These speakers are fantastic - good solid sound from the paper, but some very nice brightness and edge from the aluminium.
A huge range of sounds available, makes me feel a bit silly with my 12 band Trace. As Mr Ellefson said at the clinic, he used to buy into all of that stuff, and then with this thing he realised: 'Bass, mid and treble. What more do you need?' - I couldn't agree more having heard this amp for myself.

There are the added features of DI, limiter, bright switch and three settings on the back for the tweeter, on, off and a 6dB cut. I should add that the EQ contours are set as boost only, no cut. There is the numbers to get a completely flat eq in the manual. There is also a lead allowing me to disconnect head/cab so can be set up differently if I so wished.

If someone can tell me a smart way to record my bass other than through my built in laptop speaker mic I will more than happily put up some sound samples.

Once again, congratulations Dan, you looked well chuffed at the clinic and rightly so, having just watched Dave and Frank play through pretty much the same amp and cabinet combination!

Very nice indeed, Larry will be pleased to hear from you I am sure! Infect, I'll tell him about this post!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1305377' date='Jul 16 2011, 12:37 AM']As pleased as i am for you, this reminds me that i never win anything :) haha

Hope you're enjoying that beast![/quote]

Buddy, I've never won anything ever, and probably never will again either, sometimes you just get lucky!.

And Dood, please do tell him, I'd love to communicate my gratitude to him personally too (PM me?). I was hugely chuffed on the night, still don't quite believe it, my room is getting crowded! (marshall is provisionally sold though thankfully).

Also, shameless plug, but if you guys haven't tried these cabs yet, or the old fully aluminium ones, just go and do it, the sound is unreal.

Also, this thing is a 500W monster with an all valve preamp, it doesn't come much better than that!

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1306112' date='Jul 16 2011, 07:41 PM']Congrats Dan :)

Looking forward to hearing some of your Warwick through it.

BTW, what's that square piece between the DI & the power switch? From the pic it looks like a flip out car ashtray. :)[/quote]

Thanks mate :-)

I tried to record a sample using my Warwick through it last night. I'm preparing a little piece for you all, and was just testing it out how it sounded played back on record. The piece for certain needs some ironing out and more practice, but the sound is rubbish (recorded through my crappy little in-built laptop mic), it's auto-distorted and sounds terrible. I need a smart way to record, can I make use of the amp DI or my sansamp and somehow plug them into the little 3.5mm microphone jack on my laptop and use that as an input? Without exploding my laptop/sound card ideally?

The little piece you are on about also made me have to look in the brochure. It's the fan filter, which I assume is a very smart way of preventing the amp innards getting dust on them due to the fan drawing air through. I assume the little lip at the bottom is there so you can take it out for cleaning once in a while. 3 band eq is seriously all you need though, even the activeness on my basses is becoming largely unnecessary.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1306191' date='Jul 16 2011, 09:20 PM']Thanks mate :-)

I tried to record a sample using my Warwick through it last night. I'm preparing a little piece for you all, and was just testing it out how it sounded played back on record. The piece for certain needs some ironing out and more practice, but the sound is rubbish (recorded through my crappy little in-built laptop mic), it's auto-distorted and sounds terrible. I need a smart way to record, can I make use of the amp DI or my sansamp and somehow plug them into the little 3.5mm microphone jack on my laptop and use that as an input? Without exploding my laptop/sound card ideally?

The little piece you are on about also made me have to look in the brochure. It's the fan filter, which I assume is a very smart way of preventing the amp innards getting dust on them due to the fan drawing air through. I assume the little lip at the bottom is there so you can take it out for cleaning once in a while. 3 band eq is seriously all you need though, even the activeness on my basses is becoming largely unnecessary.[/quote]

There is a way to connect a line input directly to the soundcard -- in fact, usually just connecting it straight in with a mono jack will work. You may need to go to control panel --> sound and turn the gain down however, else it might distort beyond all reason lol.

There are also some reasons why it might not work, so if you can't get it working let me know.

[quote name='escholl' post='1306267' date='Jul 16 2011, 10:56 PM']There is a way to connect a line input directly to the soundcard -- in fact, usually just connecting it straight in with a mono jack will work. You may need to go to control panel --> sound and turn the gain down however, else it might distort beyond all reason lol.

There are also some reasons why it might not work, so if you can't get it working let me know.[/quote]

Will do. I assume I need cables for this. Are you suggesting the line out of my DI? or the line out the back of the head that goes into the cab?

I guess I would need a 3pin female DI jack to 1/4" jack lead, then a 1/4" jack to 3.5mm jack connector?

[quote name='dc2009' post='1306337' date='Jul 17 2011, 12:51 AM']Will do. I assume I need cables for this. Are you suggesting the line out of my DI? or the line out the back of the head that goes into the cab?

I guess I would need a 3pin female DI jack to 1/4" jack lead, then a 1/4" jack to 3.5mm jack connector?[/quote]

I would take the DI out of the head, definitely not the speaker output. Yes, that cable should work, just make sure it's a mono (unbalanced) jack at the end.