Why become a member? ×

Jazz Tone & Definition

Norris

I bought a brand new US standard Jazz several years ago, played it constantly and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then more recently I bought my Thunderbird and have played it ever since, the Jazz hardly getting a look in. Several people who come to our gigs have commented on the Thunderbird, saying how great it sounds, especially further up the neck compared to my Jazz. I hadn't really thought about it before, but they were right. The Jazz seems to lack clarity & definition above about the 5th fret, whereas the Thunderbird is a pure tone monster anywhere on the neck.

So, is this something that could be corrected, or is it inherent in the bass? Would a new set of pups help? I'm reluctant to change anything on the Jazz, as it's still 'factory' with barely a mark on it. It has had a decent set up, but is otherwise unmodified. It just seems such a shame for it to sit there in the case, but I'm unlikely to choose it over the T-bird at the moment - the T-bird sounds so much better.

Should I just stick the Jazz under the bed until it's 'vintage' and worth a packet no matter how it sounds? :)

Try rolling one of your pickup volumes down a touch - due to a quirk in the wiring, when both pickups are up full the mids are scooped a bit. When you roll back the volume slightly on one of the pups you get a little low mid bump that can add a lot of definition.

[quote name='Wil' post='1297185' date='Jul 8 2011, 01:33 PM']Try rolling one of your pickup volumes down a touch - due to a quirk in the wiring, when both pickups are up full the mids are scooped a bit. When you roll back the volume slightly on one of the pups you get a little low mid bump that can add a lot of definition.[/quote]

Of course you also tend to get a bit of hum too when both pickups aren't at max.

[quote name='Wil' post='1297185' date='Jul 8 2011, 01:33 PM']Try rolling one of your pickup volumes down a touch - due to a quirk in the wiring, when both pickups are up full the mids are scooped a bit. When you roll back the volume slightly on one of the pups you get a little low mid bump that can add a lot of definition.[/quote]

Rolling off the neck pick-up a smidge should do the trick. I nearly always have the bridge volume higher- YMMV, of course..

Yeah, I tend to back the bridge off 10% or so - I like the definition it provides, but I'm a P man at heart so the neck pup is always full on for me :)

I only recently discovered this trick - for years I'd always have both pups up full and wonder why the bass was getting lost in the mix.

Edited by Wil

Well, it might not get lost in the mix, as there are other factors to consider (if you've already boosted the mids at your amp to compensate then it's a moot point I suppose), but it's worth knowing about. The slight mid scoop is down to phase cancellation I think (hopefully someone with some technical knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong!).

All I know is, on my P/Humbucker bass (which is wired like a jazz) there's a far more "grunt" to be had by backing one of the pups off just a touch, so I tend to run it that way for 90% of our set, and then whack both pups up full when I want a smoother tone.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1299829' date='Jul 11 2011, 12:42 PM']Also - try dropping the pickups a bit. As you go up the neck, the strings might be getting a little close which will kill the definition.[/quote]
Thanks for that one. I generally play the Jazz with both volume controls at about 80% - never flat out, so maybe it's the pup height.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1297921' date='Jul 9 2011, 01:45 AM']I've found for me thinner strings give me more useable neck. Too thick and the tone starts falling off after about the 5th fret. YMMV[/quote]
I always use Ernie Ball regular slinkys (50-105), so the strings are not exactly fat - and they sound fantastic on my T-bird (which I do have volume at 100% most of the time).

• 1 month later...

This topic may be a bit stale now but perhaps the T'Bird is just the better bass!!

Firstly I have seen you play a few months back at Quorn and yes your bass sound was clear and impressive - a lot better the other bands I have seen there.

Secondly I have been messing around in band - 4 piece plus vocals - for a few years and playing a Fender MIM P Bass. I have always been disapointed with the volume/loudness of notes I play on the top two strings when the bottom two are too loud and boomy - especially half way up the neck. I put on some Seymour Duncan SPB3's and used them for about a year before taking them off and putting back the stock pick ups with an improvement, as I believe the clanky mids from the stock pups cut through.

Anyway a month ago I bought an Epi T'Bird (not quite a Gibson - I know) as a back up bass. But this bass is consistent across all notes and is not boomy. I can play on the top strings and be heard above the drums now!!

Okay it takes a bit getting used to but I love the slimmer and longer neck, the growling,thudding notes, the looks and most importantly I am now be heard on all strings.

Now saving for a Gibson T'Bird and may try a Tokai on the way.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1297641' date='Jul 8 2011, 08:40 PM']Other way round for me - when I had a Jazz - neck 100%, bridge 70%.[/quote]

This is what I currently do, and have no complaints. Well worth a try rolling one back. Suggest try both and see what takes your fancy.