Why become a member? ×

I cant stop my yearning for a Bongo...

Musicman20

I liked my Bongo, but it wasnt all that to be honest. Nice neck and very powerful neodymium pickups but frankly the Big Al was better, not as good as the 25th Anniversary, mind you, that was and still is their one off masterpiece, if truth be told.
The Bongo, I actually found it to be limited because of that silly pickup blend thing which renders is a bit marmite, I don't know about the rest of the people here, but I prefer on off switches rather than a pickup pan, Sterling keeps telling people that the secret of that bass is in the pickup pan because of the unlimited possibility but in reality it's the opposite you blend, you pan to your heart content but you'll never really obtain a satisfactory result unless you have ultrasonic hearing and can really tell the difference, I couldn't so I've offloaded it, but then I happened to have found something so much better that in a heart beat made me sold it and the rest of the other Music Man basses I had, like it never even happened, and you know what Gareth? I've not regretted it one bit, and in shameful honesty I only bought it because of the brain wash that the EBMM forum does to people, I too fell into that trap! All those kiss ass children of the corn in there, blinded by an imaginary light that Sterling and his goons work so hard at shining on people, Sterling invested millions in the BMW design team that you can tell theinvestment that he had to shell out to BMW has yet to pay dividends hence the hard hear bending you get from him every time someone mentions the Bongo.

But seriously it is a nice bass overall and all that, but... not one that may suits every taste, my advice to you is try it first, and don't forget your Big Al is 10 years of technology down the Bongo line and simply more advanced. So in conclusion if you want one simply because you too fell vitctim of the EBMM forum brainwash, or are just gassing for it then who am I to stop you, but if you fancy it because you might think it will put the Big Al to sleep, let me tell you, it won't. If I were you (and I know you only buy new so it's never going to happen) I would look for a good condition second hand 25th Anniversary, that would be the best bass they ever made and yeah now it's called the Reflex but with that name and the poor colour choice they offer it in, it's not the same thing anymore.

Written in genuine honesty.

Fran

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1296598' date='Jul 7 2011, 11:06 PM']I liked my Bongo, but it wasnt all that to be honest. Nice neck and very powerful neodymium pickups but frankly the Big Al was better, not as good as the 25th Anniversary, mind you, that was and still is their one off masterpiece, if truth be told.
The Bongo, I actually found it to be limited because of that silly pickup blend thing which renders is a bit marmite, I don't know about the rest of the people here, but I prefer on off switches rather than a pickup pan, Sterling keeps telling people that the secret of that bass is in the pickup pan because of the unlimited possibility but in reality it's the opposite you blend, you pan to your heart content but you'll never really obtain a satisfactory result unless you have ultrasonic hearing and can really tell the difference, I couldn't so I've offloaded it, but then I happened to have found something so much better that in a heart beat made me sold it and the rest of the other Music Man basses I had, like it never even happened, and you know what Gareth? I've not regretted it one bit, and in shameful honesty I only bought it because of the brain wash that the EBMM forum does to people, I too fell into that trap! All those kiss ass children of the corn in there, blinded by an imaginary light that Sterling and his goons work so hard at shining on people, Sterling invested millions in the BMW design team that you can tell theinvestment that he had to shell out to BMW has yet to pay dividends hence the hard hear bending you get from him every time someone mentions the Bongo.

But seriously it is a nice bass overall and all that, but... not one that may suits every taste, my advice to you is try it first, and don't forget your Big Al is 10 years of technology down the Bongo line and simply more advanced. So in conclusion if you want one simply because you too fell vitctim of the EBMM forum brainwash, or are just gassing for it then who am I to stop you, but if you fancy it because you might think it will put the Big Al to sleep, let me tell you, it won't. If I were you (and I know you only buy new so it's never going to happen) I would look for a good condition second hand 25th Anniversary, that would be the best bass they ever made and yeah now it's called the Reflex but with that name and the poor colour choice they offer it in, it's not the same thing anymore.

Written in genuine honesty.

Fran[/quote]

Fran, I've also been gassing for a Bongo.......................and you just put me off........................great post though :)

I guess I need to reconsider.

Years ago I had a beautiful 1997 Stingray 5. During a mid-life crisis, I decided I should get a Bongo 5 in orange. I thought of it as a souped-up Stingray. I sold my Stingray and bought the Bongo. Biggest mistake ever. I couldn't make it sound good. In a live recording I was shocked at how crap it sounded.

Maybe it was just me, but never again.

Well, Im normally a tradtional guy when it comes to designs and colours. I like white/sunburst/tobacco burst...in fact everything I own is like that apart from my natural Tele (hushhhh guitar!).

In fact, everything apart from the Big Al looks traditional eg Ray/Jazz/P/Sterling.

I am one of those that loves the Stingray 5 pickguard shape....maybe im odd!

Anyway, the Bongo has always been one of those that I thought 'hmm, I dont think its for me'. But, the shape and youtube demos have grown on me considerably.

I agree Fran, the Big Al is a beast of an instrument. It looks a little odd, but its traditional at heart (especially the tone and the fact you can get normal colours). Ive been VERY impressed with mine. The thing is, from day one, I knew I wanted a Big Al. It didnt need to grow on me, it just seemed awesome straight away.

Im probably best sticking with what I have for now. Id like to try one ideally before buying.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1296870' date='Jul 8 2011, 10:06 AM']Well, Im normally a tradtional guy when it comes to designs and colours. I like white/sunburst/tobacco burst...in fact everything I own is like that apart from my natural Tele (hushhhh guitar!).

In fact, everything apart from the Big Al looks traditional eg Ray/Jazz/P/Sterling.

I am one of those that loves the Stingray 5 pickguard shape....maybe im odd!

Anyway, the Bongo has always been one of those that I thought 'hmm, I dont think its for me'. But, the shape and youtube demos have grown on me considerably.

I agree Fran, the Big Al is a beast of an instrument. It looks a little odd, but its traditional at heart (especially the tone and the fact you can get normal colours). Ive been VERY impressed with mine. The thing is, from day one, I knew I wanted a Big Al. It didnt need to grow on me, it just seemed awesome straight away.

Im probably best sticking with what I have for now. Id like to try one ideally before buying.[/quote]

I see you are in NE Lincs so I'm guessing Scunthorpe / Grimsby area. Why not pop over to mine and have a play (Selby) then you can make your mind up.

I love mine to bits and they are fantastic in a live situation for getting the sound right, PM me and I'll give you my number

I yearned for a Bongo 6 when I first saw them but was going through a "do I want a 5 or 6 string" and decided to buy a Bongo Stealth 5. It lasted just a couple of days due to not being able to obtain a sound that I thought it might be able to produce. I sold it immediately. About a year later I had real GAS for a Bongo 6 again and therefore when the opportunity arose, bought one thinking that my past experience with the 5 was just a one off. Sadly, I was mistaken. I have to be honest, it played so much better than the 5 and felt far more comfortable but I still had the problem of getting the sound I was looking for. It just sounded flat and lifeless which shocked me as I always expected MM basses to sound huge. This was an HH version and everything I tried failed. I tried it through friends amps, different studio set ups and still couldn't get what I was aiming for. I still can't explain it and after 2 months of solidly attempting to find "the" sound, still nothing. Reluctantly, as I still loved loved the feel and the looks, I sold it.

Everytime I see one I want it, but I know that I wouldn't buy one again. I'm not saying that everyone will have this problem but for my band / sound, it just didn't fulfil it's potential. A real pity but still a gorgeous bass to play.

Edited by mattbass6

I wanted a Bongo 6 HH a couple of months ago and now think it's a good job I didn't get one, i'd probably be moving it on by now. The usefulness of a blend is not something i'm convinced by as much as having coil options and position swithces for pickup combos (as per Stingray HH. G&Ls etc.).

See, the fact its pickup pan and the H is slightly closer to the bridge (not the sweetspot) makes the 5HH a totally different beast to my other basses.

But, and this is a big but, I know when I look at my current EBMMs that I will never run out of options, so its a case of myself wanting 'the set' I think.

Ill keep on thinking.

Monz - That is a great offer. I might well take you up on that very soon! Thank you.

They are very comfy to play must say!
i think with all its sound options it offers, you don't get the 'distinct one sound' (like a stingray etc). although when you hit them hard they do start sounding musicmany...

But, i can say there very fun to play! and S/H you can get them so cheap!

Lots of bass per £...

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1297381' date='Jul 8 2011, 04:23 PM']What would be a reasonable price for a new one thats a discontinued finish? Eg probably made 2008 ish but still brand new?

Im looking at a 5HH.[/quote]

Not long ago, the Gallery in Camdem had a Burgundy Rolls 4 strings HH well lived with battle scars for £850, I went back the following week and asked Alex if it sold but he said the owner took it back and its on ebay now here: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MUSIC-MANN-BASS-GUITAR-BONGO-MAROON-/320724201041?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4aaca6ee51"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MUSIC-MANN-BASS-GUIT...=item4aaca6ee51[/url]
Beware it is well lived!

I sold mine (which was only 9 months old 5HHP piezo) for £1350 sapphire black with not even a scratch to it to some happy German bloke

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I would say you are looking at about 800 to 900 for a newish 5HH in good condintion

Also having a quick read through some of the comments I would add that pickup height plays a massive part in the sound of these basses and the effeciency of the blend control... Both of the bongos I've had have had the pickups wound right up under the strings when the factory settings should be 4.5mm and 6.5mm gaps betweeen pole pieces and strings this makes the bass a lot easier to control and small movements on the blend makes a massive difference to the tone like 30 degrees of turn takes mine from dub to funk also fresh batteries are a must, if you practice a lot like I do (buffs halo) lol

Edited by Monz

I played a Big Al and a Bongo back to back (4 strings) and tonally prefered the Bongo (this was an HH and an HS ie i played two bongos!) but i didn't like the neck so put me off a little

Though i don't really like Single coils, though A single coil in the neck OR bridge position but not both i really rate which is probably why.

I'd take up Monz on that and fine out for your self!

[quote name='Robert Manning' post='1297368' date='Jul 8 2011, 04:10 PM']They are very comfy to play must say![/quote]

Great to play standing up (poss slightly heavy, or I may be getting old), great sound and super versatile. The lower horn dug into my leg when sitting down. I managed to remember this by the time I was on my 3rd Bongo. Life is too short for me to have a bass that is not comfy when I sit. I love to sit.

I have a Bongo 6 HH and I love everything about it... except the preamp.

I really like Pickup Pan / Blend controls. I think it is the best method of putting small tweaks without having to think about EQ as such.

That being said the tone of the Bongo is very hi-fi (even more so than my Status Streamline) and for a 9V system it is stupidly hot. I never run the bass volume over three-quarters.

Despite it being a 6 it is very easy to play indeed - much easier in fact than many 5 strings. It balances well and just feels 'right' when strapped on.

But I am thinking about changing the preamp. Maybe to a Stingray 3 band rather then the 4 band that is in there at the moment.

So for me, the contruction and ease of play gets an easy 9.5 out of 10. The sound gets around a 6.5/10

Looks... well:

Beautiful!

Bought my Bongo from The Gallery in early 2010. It was new old stock, an HS 4 in Stealth Black with rosewood (rather than the new ebony fretboard). Traded my Ampeg Dan Armstrong against it, which had spent it's whole life tucked away in a case.

I appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea, with it's unusual styling, I'd equate it as the bass equivalent of a Parker guitar and I must concede that its aesthetics did slow my decision to buy one, however it's never short of comments and questions at gigs.

I've had a lot of fun playing with the pickup blend and I like it, subtle rolling from the humbucker through to the singlecoil really alters the dynamic of the tone & I've found I can get some good approximations of allot of different basses using it, but I'm not really fussed about approximating something else, I'm still in love with the flat bongo tone with a little bit of bass rolled on. The neck plays itself and when noodling I often find myself playing around the top frets which is something that rarely happens with me on other basses. This along with my TC gear has cured my acquisition problem and aside from new strings & a couple of jack leads & cables I haven't bought anything in well over a year. I now often gig with only the Bongo and guiltily leave the Stingray I lusted after for over a decade residing in its case back home, my Lakland JO now has a new home due to the neglect it suffered as a result of the Bongo.

It's not for everyone, but to me that adds to its charm, I feel like I'm part of a secret club, whose members smugly nod to each other knowingly whilst everyone else raves about their P Basses and I couldn't be happier.

[attachment=84469:46629_46...886486_n.jpg] [attachment=84470:260404_1...682937_n.jpg]

Edited by LLOYDWT

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1299713' date='Jul 11 2011, 10:56 AM']I would suggest, from previous advice to me, to be very careful with the Bongo pre-amp as a little goes a long way.

The Big Al eq, when in active, is 4 band, and so far I love it.

Id leave the EQ as it is, dont mod it, it would devalue it quite a lot! :)[/quote]

Yeah, I know!

I generally prefer passive basses, or at least actives that don't sound too 'active!' - even the Streamline can get a lovely round old-skool tone out of it with hardly any tweaking.