Why become a member? ×

The Yellow Jackets..

bubinga5

First heard Jimmy Haslip on the late 70's Gino Vannelli album Brother to Brother. Brilliant bassist.

If you like Jimmy try Sandin Wilson albums. They are close buds and Sandin now plays with Gino's band.

Thanks
Dave

It's cool, I liked it when i first heard them but sounds a bit dated to me now. Now trying to think of similar stuff!

Look up Oz Noy, Galactic, Lettuce. Bit more modern and upfront.

Plenty of LArry Carlton stuff out there if you like that kind of stuff.

Actually found out about them via some promo cd which had a really great Jimmy Haslip track on it!

[quote name='krazy_olie' post='1294763' date='Jul 6 2011, 02:15 PM']It's cool, I liked it when i first heard them but sounds a bit dated to me now. Now trying to think of similar stuff!

Look up Oz Noy, Galactic, Lettuce. Bit more modern and upfront.

Plenty of LArry Carlton stuff out there if you like that kind of stuff.

Actually found out about them via some promo cd which had a really great Jimmy Haslip track on it![/quote]

I kinda of agree - but then again the others you have mentioned still sounds dated to me, all been heard before, i suppose thats
the problem facing folks today.
One major thing i have/did always like about the Yellow Jackets was the Chordal structures approach rather than riff based frenzies knocking around at that time.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

I like them and they are very popular, hence their longevity.

I enjoy Marcus Baylor's playing, nicely understated. Quite unusual for the genre, sadly for me.

Yellow Jackets can be a "gateway band" for those funk lovers who want to explore something a little more complex, as they still keep a memorable melody/refrain in most of their tunes. Obviously not complex enough for some.

I like them very much, but they are as far as I like to go within the sea that is jazz, before getting bored sh@¥less.
But then again I prefer music for the "hard of thinking"...you know, songs.

[quote name='MuckedUpFunkies' post='1294529' date='Jul 6 2011, 11:40 AM']As much as I love this band the backwards strung 5/6 string kills it for me! Nothing worse than a catchy tune you cant play along too![/quote]
You can still play along...use you're ears rather than watching Haslips hands. Or buy the Yellowjackets
songbook-it's ace.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1294924' date='Jul 6 2011, 04:39 PM']One of the finest jazz/funk/ fusion albums ever IMO.[/quote]

Totally agree. That first album is awesome.

Bands like Galactic and Lettuce are great,but it's a different vibe. I think the Yellowjackets are more 'Jazz' compared to
Galactic's New Orleans funk and Lettuce's hip-hop/funk thing.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1294465' date='Jul 6 2011, 10:50 AM']There is a great track on Haslip's Arc cd called 'Niños'. Tried transcribing it but can't find the chords at all :)[/quote]

Good track that,
I also like Hannah's House, and the track with Joshua Redman - Orange Guitars.

Garry

funk doesn't really age well... It's the synths in that album that give it it's real dated sound rather than the music.

Some other good stuff I haven't thought of.... I've found a number of cool smaller acts by chance. One of my favourite CDs is by a band called "gnappy" i think they are defunkt now, can't find out anything about them.

Pickuped up a cd by a band called Breakestra, that's pretty cool.

[quote name='krazy_olie' post='1295792' date='Jul 7 2011, 11:23 AM']Some of the Bela Fleck stuff maybe, quite varied though.[/quote]

I have plenty of Bela Fleck CD's, and love his playing,
[b]Even[/b] with VW not Slapping.
I get the feeling he know's what he is doing. :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFzZXvivo4c"]Bela Fleck[/url]

Garry

Edited by lowdown