Why become a member? ×

Are 5 strings still considered as ERBs?

dc2009

[quote name='chris_b' post='1291325' date='Jul 3 2011, 07:14 PM']There have been 5 string double basses for over 100 years.[/quote]

I didn't know that :)

That does put it in context for me!

I still think 4 is standard and 5 extended but what do I know (nowt by the looks of things)

[quote name='Maverick' post='1291265' date='Jul 3 2011, 06:20 PM']To take it one step further, is a 4 string with a 24 fret neck an ERB?[/quote]

Now that you mention it, my Thumb bass has 26 frets, so the highest note is an A. If you had a 21-fret bass with a high C string, the highest note would be the same A. :)

But as some clever clogs will surely be along to point out, the main benefits of more strings are polyphony and additional range without changing position, rather than absolute extended range (although the fifth below is useful, the additional fourth at the top isn't, so much).

Waaaaaiiiit a minute! I think I have a startling discovery! The percentage figures in the OP are based on items for sale on eBay.

Welllllll, it seems to me that it's not 10% of Bass players having 5 and 6 string basses for sale.. It's actually 90% of bass players are getting rid of their 4 stringers because 5 and 6 strings are far more useful!!!!

Right, that's the touch paper lit.. I'm logging off for a few hours!! Tee heeee ;0)

[quote name='dood' post='1291650' date='Jul 3 2011, 11:29 PM']Waaaaaiiiit a minute! I think I have a startling discovery! The percentage figures in the OP are based on items for sale on eBay.

Welllllll, it seems to me that it's not 10% of Bass players having 5 and 6 string basses for sale.. It's actually 90% of bass players are getting rid of their 4 stringers because 5 and 6 strings are far more useful!!!![/quote]

:-D

[quote name='dc2009' post='1291595' date='Jul 3 2011, 10:49 PM']..., not saying your gear enthusiasm is directly proportional to your bass enthusiasm, but it is a correlatoon with some I think.[/quote]

Perhaps the correlation is between gear enthusiasm and number of strings.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1291639' date='Jul 3 2011, 11:22 PM']Now that you mention it, my Thumb bass has 26 frets, so the highest note is an A. If you had a 21-fret bass with a high C string, the highest note would be the same A. :)

But as some clever clogs will surely be along to point out, the main benefits of more strings are polyphony and additional range without changing position, rather than absolute extended range (although the fifth below is useful, the additional fourth at the top isn't, so much).[/quote]

This was Fender's thinking behind their first 5 string in the 60s. Only 20 frets irc.

[quote name='dood' post='1291650' date='Jul 3 2011, 11:29 PM']e.. It's actually 90% of bass players are getting rid of their 4 stringers because 5 and 6 strings are far more useful!!!![/quote]

Had some fun the other night, a youngster's band with plenty of Dad's around, bass player had a Bongo 6! It was huge and a real Musicman (any copies of those yet?). I couldn't help but have a little fun counting the number of strings he used, he used two for the first three songs, eventually two others chimed in a couple of times. Didn't use the top two at all.

So although the 5 and 6ers may be more useful, not by much! (I get away with a Hip Shot at Csharp)

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1293604' date='Jul 5 2011, 05:00 PM']Had some fun the other night, a youngster's band with plenty of Dad's around, bass player had a Bongo 6! It was huge and a real Musicman (any copies of those yet?). I couldn't help but have a little fun counting the number of strings he used, he used two for the first three songs, eventually two others chimed in a couple of times. Didn't use the top two at all.

So although the 5 and 6ers may be more useful, not by much! (I get away with a Hip Shot at Csharp)[/quote]

In my old metal band my lowest 4 strings got used frequently, with my G only seeing action on maybe 50% of songs, so I guess I could've got away with a 4 but it would have to have been strung BEAD!

6 String bongo that thing must've looked like something from outer space! Please tell me he had it in that metallic orange with that weird stripey brushed metal effect look pickguard

[quote name='dc2009' post='1293728' date='Jul 5 2011, 06:39 PM']In my old metal band my lowest 4 strings got used frequently, with my G only seeing action on maybe 50% of songs, so I guess I could've got away with a 4 but it would have to have been strung BEAD!

6 String bongo that thing must've looked like something from outer space! Please tell me he had it in that metallic orange with that weird stripey brushed metal effect look pickguard[/quote]

If he had I think I would have bought him a beer no matter how manny strings! It was a dull metallic blue colour. Very nice. Didn't even now they made 6 string Bongoes, had to look it up when I got back. Think he has a rich dad too.

What do you mean by 'strung bead'?

See pic and Stig Pedersen (spelling?) have the number of strings about right

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1294798' date='Jul 6 2011, 03:02 PM']What do you mean by 'strung bead'?[/quote]
BEAD tuning means stringing a standard four-string bass with the bottom four strings out of a set intended for a five-string bass etc, instead of the more normal EADG tuning on a standard four-banger. Usually used where a high G string isn't required. See Tim Commerford of RATM/Audioslave fame for more on BEAD tuning.

HTH
Ian

I think it depends on who you ask. To bassists - probably not, but anyone else I expect they would consider 5 strings as unusual. At an audition I had a few months ago the singer was amazed you can get them with 5 strings ! I didn't bother telling him you can get 7+ plus :).

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1295362' date='Jul 6 2011, 10:55 PM']ooh, just being thick, my mind was on string type not notes![/quote]

Well, drummers use chains and beads on their cymbals to add sizzle so why not beads on bass strings?

Imagine the fret buzz you could get with them? :)