Why become a member? ×

Thank you! (D'Addario Chromes)

mcnach

I had never tried Chromes, and in the recent months I decided to explore the world of flats a bit.

I have just re-strung my Squier Classic Vibe 50s P-bass with a set of D'Addario Chromes.

WOW! :)

It sounds amazing, so punchy, so fat... Definitely my favourite flatwounds so far.

So... thank you to everyone who has recommended them at one point or another!

[quote name='mcnach' post='1290306' date='Jul 2 2011, 05:43 PM']I had never tried Chromes, and in the recent months I decided to explore the world of flats a bit.

I have just re-strung my Squier Classic Vibe 50s P-bass with a set of D'Addario Chromes.

It sounds amazing, so punchy, so fat... Definitely my favourite flatwounds so far.

So... thank you to everyone who has recommended them at one point or another![/quote]

+1. I've just put a set on my 51 reissue P and they sound great. Planning to try some on the Ric as well, as I think they'll really suit that.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1290493' date='Jul 2 2011, 09:01 PM']Try them on that Ray.![/quote]

It's tempting me, but I need a Stingray with rounds.

Maybe I need another Stingray :)

Well, I have a nice OLP with a few upgrades that sounds mighty but doesn't get used as I normally take the Stingray... seems like a good candidate for chrome-goodness...

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='1290651' date='Jul 3 2011, 12:13 AM']Me like high tension!!!! :)

G.[/quote]

They arnt that high tension anyway, although it's the only set of flats ive tried.

If you get the pressure right on the pads, little mid boost and bassboost, sounds sweet!

Great that the Chromes did it for you, I tried them on a fretless I had but found them a bit too high tension and brite for my taste, even after a few months playing them.
I now swear by La Bella 760FL's they are on my P and J and the only string I can see myself buying for a while to come :) it's nice when the search is over lol.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1290633' date='Jul 2 2011, 11:55 PM']Very high tension though - I prefer TI flats on my P.[/quote]

+1

I've tried Chromes and La Bellas in the past, but still keep coming back to TIs. Love 'em on the P bass.

Just took the TI's off my Mustang and replaced with Chromes whilst also fitting a Nordtrand NM4 - now sounds the nuts. I guess I'll return to the TI's again one day but I can't help think the extra tension on the Chromes is a good thing with a short scale...short scale+floppy strings=too floppy for me.

Funny because last time I tried Chromes it was on a P bass and I hated them. Got TI's on my Sadowsky and love them there.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1290633' date='Jul 2 2011, 11:55 PM']Very high tension though - I prefer TI flats on my P.[/quote]

It's true that they're a bit higher tension than the equivalent in rounds, but not terrible (for me). I bought the same gauge I use in rounds: 45-100, and I think they're pretty easy to play, and very ballsy.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' post='1290306' date='Jul 2 2011, 05:43 PM']I had never tried Chromes, and in the recent months I decided to explore the world of flats a bit.

So... thank you to everyone who has recommended them at one point or another![/quote]

Been using them for years and absolutely love 'em. :lol:

Glad to hear that you are a convert. You may never go back. :)