Why become a member? ×

Options for my Ray 30th

martthebass

Well I've had a go at trading my Ray 30th for a custom shop Precision or vintage Precision of similar value with no success so far...however I don't really want to stick it back under the bed so here's asking how I could 'calm' it down a bit.

I've found the Sue Ryder P that I usually use for jam nights and tough venues works great in the acoustic band I'm in, however the Ray and my Status are a bit too 'in yer face'. The Ray 30th has a great deep punchy core tone which doesn't really suit but is there anything I could do to tame it a bit? I've thought of flats but had a bad experience a few years back on a thru body bass where the G snapped at the ferrule and nearly took my eye out lol, but please, all suggestions welcome.

Mart, Jon Shuker wired up a passive mod on my old Stingray. When you pulled the treble pot out, it switched the bass to passive mode and the treble pot worked as a passive tone pot.

It was a great mod and made the bass sound very P like. It might be an idea to try something similar if you want a more organic sound. The other thing too was that it was completely reversible so if you wanted to put it back to stock it was relatively straightforward.

• 3 months later...

I'll preface this with the comment I've not ever played a stingray in a band....

But it always struck me that the old ones I've heard sounded, and fitted in the mix in a similar way to the P bass (but different)
If I were you I would try.... a passive mod like suggested..... and then look on net for the bajaman schematics for a old pre-EB 2eq preamp. and build that in a separate box and see how that works.

or the john east preamp if you have the money.

i can't believe you can't make the thing sound good/less aggressive

I did a gig the other night with a Ray 5 (not mine) through a TC Electronics rig (also not mine), and was surprised at how much of a fundamental tone I got with it when I dialed in an appropriate EQ. Really nice is was. I like Rays but I've always had them down as too ballsey for what I usually play, however with a bit of EQ'ing this can soon be sorted out. I've heard Rays with flats on as well and they sound absolutely brilliant, really take the edge of their aggressiveness.

If you can get TI flats to work on that bridge then go for those.

I had a standard fretless stingray and had a fantastic sound with those. I don't go for the nasally fretless tone and in all honesty my tone on a fretless sounds like me playing a fretted which is why I gave playing fretless.

The 30th is a growly beast but calming the EQ down a bit and fitting TIs will mellow it out a bit

• 2 weeks later...