Why become a member? ×

Dee Dee ramones P bass

Prime_BASS

The program puts bids in on rare and collectable items.
A chap comes on with a P-bass. Apparently it belonged to Dee Dee Ramone in the 80's, it a 76' model White, red pickguard and maple fingerboard. The guy grabbed it after Dee Dee passed it into the audience.

The highest offer was £3000. A little low I think but he only has an email from the manager at the time stating it's the bass Dee Dee used.

What is your price?

[quote name='cd_david' post='1277681' date='Jun 21 2011, 08:32 PM']Watching it too, who does their research? 600-1000 for a 76 Precision? Lol show me where!

I would go to 5K for such a piece of history[/quote]

Literally thought exactly the same. Even in the current market.

Personally I was thinking around 5k mark. However due to the way things go for sale now it would struggle to go past 3k. Im sure the right buyer would be willing to go higher, and I guess it would be worth more if he had a bit more rock solid proof.

Just watched it.

So, when is it going to pop up on ebay??

I suppose the issue is the provenance.. an email from Monte Melnick might not cut the mustard. Still the offers were insulting. As for that t*t saying another (what Ramones bass.. guitar) sold in 2005 for $535, well I really don't think he knew what he was talking about.

If I had the money, I would buy. Dee Dee was an iconic bass player and I cut my bass playing teeth thumping along to the first Ramones albums, though I would prefer one of the earlier ones!

I saw it and was stunned by the offers from 2 of the dealers. Either they didn't know the price of iconic basses or they were trying it on.

The £3k max offer may be a bit low. I too think The right person may offer around £5k.

The seller should get on down to BassChat and set a good price. I'd watch that thread!

[quote name='Sercet' post='1277879' date='Jun 21 2011, 10:52 PM']Did it sell for $16,000 at auction?
[url="http://www.guitarsquid.com/Latest/townshend-guitar-sells-for-50k.html"]http://www.guitarsquid.com/Latest/townshen...ls-for-50k.html[/url][/quote]

Yes - that's definitely the same one. Really pleased for the guy...

[quote name='Sercet' post='1277879' date='Jun 21 2011, 10:52 PM']Did it sell for $16,000 at auction?
[url="http://www.guitarsquid.com/Latest/townshend-guitar-sells-for-50k.html"]http://www.guitarsquid.com/Latest/townshen...ls-for-50k.html[/url][/quote]

Nice one!!! :)

Ha ha.. that's Tel, the singer from my band. I've played that Precision and its horrible, really high action and just not set up at all. He sold it the other day at Sothebys.
What he didn't tell them was the amount of people he had to kick and punch who were trying to get it off him. In his day, he was a right handful and a bit of a nutter if the truth be told.

Good on him for getting a decent price for it (more than i thought it could get). Dealers are dealers and they were trying it on. They knew they could sell it for loads more, if targeted at the right sellers. He was right to refuse their offers.

I actually told him that a 78 precision was worth at least £1,000 (considering its condition) and it annoyed me the way they tried to fob him off with offering him a grand for it. To be fair, it was in pretty rough nick but from what I've seen on Ebay he would have got around a grand for it, even without the Ramones connection.

Just watched this on 4OD - great stuff - true that the dealers came across as a bunch of robbers! Too me it's been the most atractive thing on the programme - but then I'm not really a fan of pretentious art :)
Yer man came across as real nice bloke and not a greedy swine as suggested!!!

[quote name='Donnyboy' post='1279790' date='Jun 23 2011, 04:40 PM']Just watched this on 4OD - great stuff - true that the dealers came across as a bunch of robbers! Too me it's been the most atractive thing on the programme - but then I'm not really a fan of pretentious art :)
Yer man came across as real nice bloke and not a greedy swine as suggested!!![/quote]

Dealers? Robbers? :)

Boy done good @ $16k.