Why become a member? ×

A Hot looking Lakland DJ..

bubinga5

I really like this bass.. never seen a DJ like this.. very retro looking..totslly changes the usual look of a DJ. ok its a USA...Never played a bass with Chisonics either.. bet its a cracker..

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/ft-usa-lakland-dj4-sonic-blue-ooh-la-la-780343/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/ft-usa-...h-la-la-780343/[/url]

35" Wide! :) I can't really tell the difference between 34 and 35 when playing it usually comes up ten minutes into playing one from the owner rather than the feel. I think some people get the impression the inch extra is all at the first fret, In reality the position of the body on your knee when sitting will change it more if like me you shuffle around when practicing.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1273464' date='Jun 18 2011, 09:06 AM']So is it just me that thinks the G string is inbound from the edge of the fingerboard in relation to the E string? :)[/quote]

No.

[quote]It could be the camera angle but I'm fairly certain it is an imbalance in neck/string alignment.[/quote]
Yup.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1273464' date='Jun 18 2011, 09:06 AM']So is it just me that thinks the G string is inbound from the edge of the fingerboard in relation to the E string? :)

It could be the camera angle but I'm fairly certain it is an imbalance in neck/string alignment.[/quote]

Plus one. It's not the camera angle. Nearly all Lakland basses I've seen have very poor pickup/neck alignment. The latest ones are even worse.

[quote name='risingson' post='1273776' date='Jun 18 2011, 02:17 PM']That looks brilliant. I don't know what Lakland are up to at the moment and when they'll get the equivalent DJ model back into their lineup but if they did more instruments like this I'd definitely buy one. I love my Darryl Jones 4.[/quote]
The replacement for the DJ is the AJ series - US already and coming as a Skyline in the autumn:

[url="http://www.lakland.com/44-55-AJ.htm"]http://www.lakland.com/44-55-AJ.htm[/url]

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1273825' date='Jun 18 2011, 03:25 PM']The replacement for the DJ is the AJ series - US already and coming as a Skyline in the autumn:

[url="http://www.lakland.com/44-55-AJ.htm"]http://www.lakland.com/44-55-AJ.htm[/url][/quote]

I've seen these but I don't like them, at all in fact, they look cheap IMO at least. Also I didn't think of them as the natural successor to the DJ, but I suppose there was a large market for afterstock preamps in the DJ's so I guess that's what they're doing.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1273433' date='Jun 18 2011, 12:11 AM']35" Wide! :) I can't really tell the difference between 34 and 35 when playing it usually comes up ten minutes into playing one from the owner rather than the feel. I think some people get the impression the inch extra is all at the first fret, In reality the position of the body on your knee when sitting will change it more if like me you shuffle around when practicing.[/quote]
Maybe a comma would have helped :)

I've been able to tell 35" from the feel so far and I don't like what it does to the tone from the extra tension especially as you go up the neck.

[quote name='risingson' post='1273828' date='Jun 18 2011, 03:29 PM']I've seen these but I don't like them, at all in fact, they look cheap IMO at least. Also I didn't think of them as the natural successor to the DJ, but I suppose there was a large market for afterstock preamps in the DJ's so I guess that's what they're doing.[/quote]
oh Ris this is where we part..i bloody love that red jazz!.. man i want to ply one of those... i doubt they look cheap up close or in the wallet

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1273464' date='Jun 18 2011, 01:06 AM']So is it just me that thinks the G string is inbound from the edge of the fingerboard in relation to the E string? :)

It could be the camera angle but I'm fairly certain it is an imbalance in neck/string alignment.[/quote]
Look at how badly it aligns to the bridge pickup!!! It has a serious reverse Fender offset.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1274251' date='Jun 18 2011, 11:17 PM']oh Ris this is where we part..i bloody love that red jazz!.. man i want to ply one of those... i doubt they look cheap up close or in the wallet[/quote]

Fair enough mate! Different strokes and all that. I bet they sound terrific but I find myself being reminded of Fender's efforts with the FMT Jazz's and they didn't do it for me at all. It's the fancy wood tops, not my thing really... with the possible exception of this:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1273464' date='Jun 18 2011, 09:06 AM']So is it just me that thinks the G string is inbound from the edge of the fingerboard in relation to the E string? :)

the E string is thicker.. of course the G, will look further in than the E.. :)

[quote name='risingson' post='1274276' date='Jun 19 2011, 12:11 AM']Fair enough mate! Different strokes and all that. I bet they sound terrific but I find myself being reminded of Fender's efforts with the FMT Jazz's and they didn't do it for me at all. It's the fancy wood tops, not my thing really... with the possible exception of this:

[/quote]my lord..

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1274275' date='Jun 18 2011, 04:10 PM']i think you will find its the actual pickup that is tricking your eye, and not the line up of the pickups... i very much doubt USA Lakland would miss a thing like this.. in fact i would bet on it..[/quote]
There's many pictures in that thread and they all show a serious misalignment that's more pronounced at the bridge which implies it's the bridge in the wrong place.

Would you believe that Lakland has lost money from day one and never made a profit?

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1274295' date='Jun 18 2011, 04:24 PM']yep for sure.. but do you think it matters.. not saying either way but does it make a bad bass?[/quote]
Looks like the answer is yes from this response :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1274275' date='Jun 18 2011, 04:10 PM']i very much doubt USA Lakland would miss a thing like this.. in fact i would bet on it..[/quote]