Why become a member? ×

Isle Of Wight Coverage On TV - Great Stuff!

spongebob

I really enjoyed the Sky Arts coverage of the Isle Of Wight festival over the weekend.

Even the bands I didn't like (quite a few in fairness!) were interesting to watch.

Reminded me of the coverage Channel 4 used to do of Glastonbury - lots of it, and actually putting a variety of bands on to keep interest going.

Presenters weren't bad either. Really like Dave Fanning - love his interviews also on Sky Arts too - really knows his stuff and goes for good questions, unlike the BBC idiots like Fearne Cotton, etc.

I'm not a fan of The Script, so it was great to hear their vocalist missing quite a few notes - he sounded terrible!

One thing I did notice, bass-wise, was that the majority of players were using Jazz basses - quite surprised how many.

Heads up to the Kasabian bassist, who I think was using a Jaguar bass. Couldn't hear that active buzz, though!

[quote name='farmer61' post='1270061' date='Jun 15 2011, 01:29 PM']Off topic a tadge, I enjoyed the coverage of Jethro Tull and interview with Ian Anderson from the 1970 IOW Festival.[/quote]

Would love to have seen them at this time in their careers, in fact any time up to the late 70's. Just a reminder;

I watched a bit of the coverage.

I'm completely out-of-touch when it comes to what's in the hit parade at the moment, but when The Semi-Precious Weapons opened one of their songs with the line 'I can't pay my rent, but I'm f*****g gorgeous!', I just thought... that's proper rock and roll.

I wasn't intending to sit through the whole program but i did and enjoyed some of it.

There was one moment when, for the first time ever, me and my 15 year old son actually agreed on something to do with music. I said i cant stand Kasabian and he said "someone should throw a car at the singer".
kids eh? Not as clueless as people make them out to be.

I know i'm slightly late too this but I only just got back on monday and then out of hospital yeasterday, I was there for all 4 days and all i can say is what and amazing weekend and there were some pretty darn good bass performances over the weekend as well. My personal favorite acts were the kaiser chiefs, kasabian and the foo fights just for the sheer scale of the performances they gave and the atmosphere it created, it isnt half scary being right in the middle up against the front railings though with the rest of the crowd trying to push forwards through the whole set!

Yeah, i guess there is only so much rain people can tolerate before getting fed up with it.

None of the bands shown on Sky were really my cup of tea but i did enjoy the Script, and i thought Plan B were (was?) funny, especially the at the end of Stay too long. I doubt that would have worked without the rain.

Braving out the rain maybe wasn't the brightest decission I made but found the atmosphere in the bands really good although I dont have anything to compare it againat as that was my first festival. Slightly agree onthe kings of leon though, bar on the bucket, sex on fire and use somebody they just didn't seem to totally be with it or connect with the audience. As for plan b, the whole of the set was quite surreal but on the whole I really quite enjoyed it even if I was soaked through after staying out from two door cinema club all the way through to the script. Decided to take cover in the big top after that until kasabian started.

[quote name='JoshL' post='1271197' date='Jun 16 2011, 10:14 AM']Braving out the rain maybe wasn't the brightest decission I made but found the atmosphere in the bands really good although I dont have anything to compare it againat as that was my first festival. Slightly agree onthe kings of leon though, bar on the bucket, sex on fire and use somebody they just didn't seem to totally be with it or connect with the audience. As for plan b, the whole of the set was quite surreal but on the whole I really quite enjoyed it even if I was soaked through after staying out from two door cinema club all the way through to the script. Decided to take cover in the big top after that until kasabian started.[/quote]

I saw Kings of Leon at Reading in 2009. They honestly thought they were too big for the festival and didnt want to make any effort while telling the crowd we didnt make a good atmosphere! Absolute dicks

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1271050' date='Jun 16 2011, 09:36 AM']Even some of the bands seemed like they weren't that interested...e.g. Kings of Leon.[/quote]

I can fully understand where they're coming from - I'm not that interested in them either.

I have been to 5 of the I.oW festivals , it helps when you live about 30 minutes walk away from the venue .
They seem to be cramming more and more people into a fairly small venue ,just moving from one stage to the other is a real struggle . To my suprise ,Tom Jones was probably the high point for pure professional entertainment , he looked as if he was really enjoying the show and all the audience was behind him .Nice to see John Paul Jones too.
Some of the younger bands could learn a lot from the old guard .