Why become a member? ×

Jaco Pastorius

OliverBlackman

Hi guys i need to write an essay on a bass player and i thought since i was playing his stuff more than others lately i would give Jaco Pastorius a go. I was wondering if anyone on here has any old magazines with Jaco interviews/ articles that i could either have (will pay postage & a pint), can borrow or if they could scan and email me?

I have already seen the guitar player article on the lucas pickford site but does anyone know any other good ones?

Thanks in advance, Ollie

I got bought the Bill Milkowski biography for a present. Haven't started it yet but I could have it posted to you from the UK when our son goes back on the 21st if it helps. I would want it sent back though in same condition.

Let me know if you want it sent.

K

Edited by leschirons

The Bill Milkowski book "Jaco" is pretty much the authoritative biography and a pretty good read also. IF you want it straight from the horse's mouth then the 'Electric Bass' DVD with Jerry Jermont is a good watch, a bit saddening to see how he was clearly not well at that point in his life, but he's still got the chops. Not sure how much use that would be to you though.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1267927' date='Jun 13 2011, 08:28 PM']I got bought the Bill Milkowski biography for a present. Haven't started it yet but I could have it posted to you from the UK when our son goes back on the 21st if it helps. I would want it sent back though in same condition.

Let me know if you want it sent.

K[/quote]

thanks very much for the offer, im meeting a bass player whos a pretty big jaco fan tomorrow morning so il check out if he has it before accepting as i'd rather not be an inconvenience :)

[quote name='fpbass' post='1268106' date='Jun 13 2011, 11:53 PM']I knew Dean Noel that was in Jaco's first band in the Fort Lauderdale, Florida area. I never met Jaco, but I was friends with others that went to the same high school with him.[/quote]

Any chance you could kidnap them and ship them to me in England please? :)

Funny though i was in Fort Lauderdale just last summer and had no idea that Jaco was even from Florida let alone the same region i was in!

Here's something I wrote on Jaco a few years ago - I got direct quotes from Pat Metheny, Mike Brecker and John Scofield - who all worked with Jaco at different points in his career - feel free to quote bits of it in you essay (just reference me :) )

[url="http://www.munkio.com/words/jaco_feature.html"]http://www.munkio.com/words/jaco_feature.html[/url]

I hope it's useful

Cheers

Mike

[url="http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2011/06/13/jaco-pastorius-1978-radio-interview/"]http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2011/06/13/ja...adio-interview/[/url]

I hadn't come across this before the other day- fascinating hearing the guy in his prime.

[quote name='Davo-London' post='1270809' date='Jun 15 2011, 10:03 PM']I saw Jaco in concert 3 times in the late 70's and early 80's.

He really was a phenomenon.

Davo[/quote]

Hi Davo, can you remember how Jaco might have or if he did change yours and other people perceptions of music and the bass guitar? Would be cool if i could get some quotes

The audience always reacted with Jaco. Even then the audience knew he was a bit special. Jaco's solo would always get the biggest shout of the evening.

The finale would be Jaco dropping the bass on the stage - with the ensuing kerang from the bass and then pretending to jump on the bass as the sound was killed and the lights went out. Very theatrical and very Jaco.

Still can't believe he would drop the '61/62 Jazz on the stage!

The whole band were uber tight and truly fantastic musicians.

Cheers
Davo