Why become a member? ×

Squier Vintage Modified Precision

nottswarwick

So, some of you may know that I have just bought a white Squier Vintage Modified P Bass, for just over £100.

It is basically mint - like brand new, although it's not brand new. Ebay find.

It's nice, plays well, build seems ok, bla bla bla. I bought it to try out the whole P bass thing (I know, I know....but I've always been a Stingray man). Having tried it, I love it, and am now in something of a quandry....

I would either like another "better" P bass (by better, read Fender I guess..I played a the new USA Standard that one of my students bought round, it was great.), OR I could upgrade this one, and this is where I am stuck.

If it were as case of "money no object" I would probable just get a new USA Standard and be done with it, using the Squier as a backup. However, I have not got £1000 sitting spare, so I am thinking that upgrading could be the path to follow.

However, I need advice please. Is it worth it? The bass certainly seems nice and solid enough. However, I am thinking...

Bridge
Pickups
Nut
Pots/wiring
Tuners
Whatever else.....there is not really much else is there lol?

I have access to a superb luthier, and will be seeking their advice too, but would like to know what folk on here who have done this before think please?

What parts should I be looking at. What sort of cost involved, and above all, is it worth it, or should I just spend the cash on another bass?

Thanks

Chris

I've been down this road before, and perhaps this is not what you want to hear. I wouldn't bother. You will not get your outlay back when you come to sell, and as you buy a piece at a time, you will lose sight that this all adds up, and you will end up feeling that you should have bought a Fender P in the first place. If the American standard P is the top of the mountain, think about the steps in between to get there. You got a good deal with the Squire, why not save what you can, see if you can sell on the Squire at a profit, and get a S/H MIM of MIJ Fender P and just keep going. You never know, you might find the one you want before you get to the top of the mountain.

These MIM Fender Classic 50s Precisions are awesome basses:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=140975"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=140975[/url]

I had one, and in terms of quality/playability/sound, it really wasn`t that far away from my US Precisions. Slightly wider neck, and no thru-body stringing being the only real differences.

I would do it. Not as a money maker but just for the pleasure of improving an already decent instrument.

I've just completed a Squier P bass upgrade and really enjoyed doing it. To me it was absolutely worth doing and has made what was a playable but dull instrument in to something very pleasing to play and a pleasure to look at.

[quote name='gary mac' post='1268227' date='Jun 14 2011, 09:00 AM']I would do it. Not as a money maker but just for the pleasure of improving an already decent instrument.

I've just completed a Squier P bass upgrade and really enjoyed doing it. To me it was absolutely worth doing and has made what was a playable but dull instrument in to something very pleasing to play and a pleasure to look at.[/quote]

That's my view too. I'm about to embark on that route with my Squier Affinity P. As it stands it is a nice player, and surely that's the main thing. I've heard of people who have tried to go to the "top of the mountain" and bought "real" Fenders, only to be disappointed with the playability, quality control, tone, etc. So if you already have a bass that pleases you but it can be improved - go for it!

I think the neck is probably the crux of the matter. Once you start thinking of replacing the neck, you are basically saying that you don't like that bass. Pickups and hardware fine. Nut, bridge, tuners definitely!

You will never get the money back, so do it because you want to do it - not to make a profit as the total will never be worth the sum of the parts. At the end of the process it will still be a Squier!

I wouldn't go over the top with changing things. If this was just to get a bite of the P bass apple then no matter how much you spend on it you will still want a bigger bite IMO and more likely to buy a Fender sooner rather than later.

Maybe upgrade the pup and tuners if they bother you or you want a different tone but leave it at that unless something isnt working as it should.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1267829' date='Jun 13 2011, 08:22 PM']So, some of you may know that I have just bought a white Squier Vintage Modified P Bass, for just over £100.

It is basically mint - like brand new, although it's not brand new. Ebay find.

It's nice, plays well, build seems ok, bla bla bla. I bought it to try out the whole P bass thing (I know, I know....but I've always been a Stingray man). Having tried it, I love it, and am now in something of a quandry....

I would either like another "better" P bass (by better, read Fender I guess..I played a the new USA Standard that one of my students bought round, it was great.), OR I could upgrade this one, and this is where I am stuck.

If it were as case of "money no object" I would probable just get a new USA Standard and be done with it, using the Squier as a backup. However, I have not got £1000 sitting spare, so I am thinking that upgrading could be the path to follow.

However, I need advice please. Is it worth it? The bass certainly seems nice and solid enough. However, I am thinking...

Bridge
Pickups
Nut
Pots/wiring
Tuners
Whatever else.....there is not really much else is there lol?

I have access to a superb luthier, and will be seeking their advice too, but would like to know what folk on here who have done this before think please?

What parts should I be looking at. What sort of cost involved, and above all, is it worth it, or should I just spend the cash on another bass?

Thanks

Chris[/quote]

I have a VM Jazz, and if they're similar in quality, I'd only bother with the pickups.

It's not a top range instrument, but it is functional. It works. I find the pickups of my Jazz very "meh", so if I keep it they will be replaced for sure. But everything else I don't think will improve matters enough to b worth the effort and cost. However, these Duncan Designed Jazz pickups are not very nice. If your P is similar, that's teh first and only thing I'd bother changing.