Why become a member? ×

EB Ray v Pre EB Ray

Marcus

Hi Guys,

I've been gassing for a Ray for a while now, there's been a couple of nice modern Ray's on here for like £650 - £700 while for a pre EB we're talking £1500 + leaving aside the historical significance and investment potential, and thinking from a playability, tone & feel perspective are the Pre EB Ray's that much better ?

I know individual instruments from both era's will vary greatly but in general what are your experiences ?

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='Marcus' post='145925' date='Feb 24 2008, 11:36 AM']Hi Guys,

I've been gassing for a Ray for a while now, there's been a couple of nice modern Ray's on here for like £650 - £700 while for a pre EB we're talking £1500 + leaving aside the historical significance and investment potential, and thinking from a playability, tone & feel perspective are the Pre EB Ray's that much better ?

I know individual instruments from both era's will vary greatly but in general what are your experiences ?

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

Hi Mark,

I have owned 3-4 post EB stingrays from the late 80s through to the 00s and one pre EB stingray. The pre EB stingray was very nice but VERY HEAVY. The playability of it was not as good as the more modern ones although its sound was probably the best out of all the rays I have owned but in a very subtle way that not all would agree with.

I think its generally considered that the late 80s, early 90s rays are the best value for money but I am sure others will chime in.

If you buy a Pre EB it should in theory appreciate in value more so than any of the others which may make it a good choice for you.

Steve

Edited by birdy

I've owned several post- EB Rays and absolutely love them.

The build quality is (and this hurts me to say) superior to Fenders IMO, the satin finish necks are unbelievable and the sound is unique too.

Honestly, I probably preferred by 2 band Stingray as I found it easier to dial in a sound I really liked rather than endlessly fiddling as I do with the 3 band eq.

The pre-EB Rays I've played have been similar to the post-EB (I guess it's like comparing a 70's Fender with a modern equivalent). There are always going to be huge similarities as well as subtle differences. Pre-EB's have 3 (and then developed to 4) bolt on necks whereas the modern ones have 6 bolts.

Sound-wise there is definitely a difference. Neck-wise I think the modern SR's blow the old ones out the water (the ones I've played have been varnished as opposed to the waxed/oiled finish nowadays).

I know there are guys out there who will swear that pre-EB is the way to go and maybe they're right. Personally I'd try them both and see which you prefer.

I wouldn't say they deserve a £900 or so premium, but then I'm guilty of paying more for a 70's P bass than I could've done for the modern equivalent.

I own a preEB ray and a preEB cutlass. I think the EB rays are better designed and a late 80's version is probably the best value for money. However any well aged and gently thrashed stingray will have a relaxed and worn vibe about it. Whether its pre or post EB isn't such an issue IMO. Getting one with a stable and relaxed neck with a nice, supple feel is the key.

Avoid anything from 82-85 unless you try it first. Musicman had major quality control issues during that period.

I have a pre (quite early) and a post (quite recent) although the newer one has a Status Graphite Neck. Both excellent sounding.
However the pre is unbelievably heavy and I can now only play it sitting down due to back problems (it may have been the cause of them).
I can only echo the previous comment that for investment get an early one and for reliability comfort etc. a latter one is best.
Depends what pushes your buttons.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='147175' date='Feb 26 2008, 11:19 AM']Aren't the polepieces made of different materials.
I don't know when the change took place, but there was a change from Alnico to Ceramic at some point.[/quote]

I think that was the SR5. This site has LOADS of info on the differences between all the Stingrays.

[url="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/TOWN8019/"]http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/TOWN8019/[/url]

cheers machines, i think i could narrow down what i had to give an idea for that time.

based on that site i would imagine i had an '87-91 SR4. based on the fact it had top loaded bridge with offset string alignment, and mutes, 6 bolt neck plate (i could have swarn it was 4 but it did have the neck wheel at the body end) and the 'obispo' logo on the back of the headstock with the revised front logo.
it was ALL maple with no stripe down the back of the neck. front access pre amp 2 band.
sound was massive and that true stingray sound. i paid £650 for mine which in reflection was a bit of a bargin as it was totally mint. think i sold it to a shop for £300 cos i was massively skint (yeah i know what an idiot) and probably the single worst thing i have ever done in my musical life, wish i still had it.
moral get one and keep it cos you'll regret it if you sell it.

Edited by lowhand_mike

I owned a black pre EB Stingray for 8 years. I've also owned a 1999 SR4 which i had a while too (always been more into sterlings since they first appeared)
downsides to my pre EB was that it was heavy and ate batteries. my favourite of the two was my 2 band trans teal from '98. It was just under 9lbs and had some lovely flame in the neck.only one thing I didnt like about that bass were the rough polepieces which hadnt been bevelled.(not very nice when you dug in)

from a playing perspective I'd rather have an EB one (from any era) and the cash

but if cash was no object I'd have a brand new 2006> with the compensated nut (player)and a pre EB in inca silver (for the collection)

edit: or just get a Sabre

Edited by dub_junkie

Although I have played a few EB stingrays I have never actually lived with one , everything about them is great from what I can tell from a shop situation, gorgeous beasts. But I have had the privilege of living with two pre Eb's ,a 77, which sounded and played like a dream, but ate batteries at an alarming rate, and now a 79 which is perfect in every way ,for me that is.Some like new things with all the technical cliches ironed out but I think there is something special about a well worn classic instrument,with all it's funny little ways. Horses for courses as they say , and pre EB rays weigh nearly as much. Enjoy trying out as many of each as you can.