Why become a member? ×

So i've left my band

krth1985

Just had to call it a day with my band - even though we had gigs lined up - one this friday as well. Things came to a head earlier and nothing that could be reconciled in time for friday (on my part anyway)

So what now? I'm a little lost :)

I think maybe now is the time to knuckle down and learn a little more theory. There wasnt much room to think outside of the box in the band so iv become a little lazy theory wise. But where to start?

Form your own band? Only really advisable if you're 100% sure what you want to do.

Learning theory and general practice for a while sounds like a good idea if you want to relax for a while. No point rushing into a new band you're not happy with. Something will come up, just maybe not straight away.

Find a way to get inspired - go to some gigs that you wouldn't normally go to, buy some interesting music, learn new stuff, buy some decent tuition books, take some lessons, do some jam nights...anything that gets you out and ignites your enthusiasm.

Treat the extra time as a positive and use it to find something new to do. Taking a step back to find out what you really want to do with your playing is always worthwhile.

Hope this helps! :)

I've joined a new band in the last few weeks after leaving my last one in February.

Early days, no pressure....just enjoying playing.

Leaving the last one was the best thing I ever did. Even before this band cropped up, I really liked, in a sense, the freedom of just playing at home. No songs to learn, no hassle, just digging some great music and rediscovering why I started playing in the first place.

Enjoy the time out, don't rush into anything. Things will turn up on time when they need to.

Similar advice here. Wait for the right opportunity with decent people playing songs you actually like. In the meantime, get some lessons, take some time out, give your bass(es) a good clean and check the setup etc.

My old band broke up in August last year and I only dabbled in 3 gigs between then and the end of the year, then I embarked on some lessons, and I'm hoping to join a band soon (got the rehearsal/audition on Thursday). So that's the best part of a year out of being in a band.

One door shuts and another bla bla but its true. Its a great opportunity to update your theory and technique.

The Majors Boot Camp has some good lessons and theory exercises.

Get some good books and/or a teacher if you can find one.

Design a (new) routine of practise. For example, 15 minutes reading, 15 minutes of scales, learn a new mode, have a go on one of these online note trainers, try and learn a song that you have always wanted to play, listen to some other genres of music etc etc put some purpose into the practise

The one thing that has made practising so much fun these days is a USB sound card and DAW. You can get a batch of .mp3s where it is possible to pan out the bass allowing you to fill the gap - its a great way to apply theory if you cannot use what you are learning in a band situation.

Other than that enjoy yourself and good luck

Whatever you do don't lose the drive to play live.
I left a band and decided on learning theory and chilling out on my own only to find family life, work and other general nuisance items got in the way.
Everyone got used to me not playing live in bands and before you know it, that was the norm.
Takes a very understanding wife to let you get back into it and give the commitment a band deserves.

Just don't take too long a gap.

Set a limit on how long you want to stay away ie 1mth, 6mths, a year etc.

Hope all gets back on track soon.

Cheers
Dave

I left my previous band at christmas,who were very successful in our genre,and i felt a bit of a dick for doing it at the time,especially as it's how i make a living.What kept me going was learning stuff that id never considered before,which in turn has me gassing for a fretless,that i've never had the time to do anything with previously.Now i have a new band in the making,with a much better line-up than before,things are looking good (we have gigs and festivals lined up,even though we havent rehearsed yet,or even had a drummer up until about 30 mins ago).

[quote name='krth1985' post='1258814' date='Jun 6 2011, 07:34 PM']Wednesdays/Thursdays would be when we would normally rehearse for 2 or 3 hours so putting all your ideas together I should be able to come up with a decent lesson plan for myself. Dont feel as lost now, cheers guys :)[/quote]
I appear to be collecting new recruits this week for our bass clef YTS thread, Have a look from the first few pages and get involved there are links to a lot of stuff suggested in fact I need to update the post with the links with some new ones I have. :)

[quote name='4 candles' post='1258913' date='Jun 6 2011, 08:49 PM']why did you leave? tell us more, then we can advise[/quote]

There were a lot of issues I had with certain members of the band - I posted about it on here a while ago - and whilst I tried to put these behind me after last Thursdays gig it just wasnt possible. And then I got a really sh*tty text yesterday which pretty much killed it for me.

Last Thursday we had a gig in the centre of Leeds (at Milos if anyone is familiar?) Anyway our booking agent said load in time was 7pm. I explained me and one of the guitarists may be slightly late as we didnt finish work till 6 pm, by the time we get home, showered, loaded up with the gear and set of its 6:40pm for a 20-25 min drive depending on traffic. We got there for around 7:10pm. Drummer, singer, and guitarist all finish work at 5-5:30 so had a lot more time than us to get there. Just as we pulled to the end of my road the singer and guitarist drive past us waving...so they have set off late...why? We pull up to the venue - me already pissed off - and they pull up a few seconds behind us! Drummer was already there well on his way to setting up. For me that royally took the piss. I work 12 hour shifts, so i'd been up at 5am, finished at 6pm. Straight home, quick shower, change, grab my gear, no time for a bite to eat. and off I went. Anyway this has happened on a number of occasions and the signer is well known for being late to everything, but after the speech he gave us the other week "we need to live and breathe" this band I couldnt put up with the hypocracy anymore, and to add salt he sent me some sh*tty texts - nothing to do with the band - and I just couldnt see me sharing a stag with him anymore. I had already planned to leave at the end of July and the rest of the band knew it and I would honour the gigs we had booked, but we've gigged with a bad atmosphere on stage before and i just felt like walking off half way through. I didnt want to experience that again.

Anyway, rant over!

There are a couple of local jam nights. I'm quite lucky as there's a few decent pubs that put jam nights on, open mic nights, so im going to show my face at a few of those and see what happens. Ii'll be looking for another band, but I may leave it a month or two...now iv got the time and freedom I might try out a few different amps and what not, see if I can find my tone :)