Why become a member? ×

is thomann the cheapest for a lakland?

nash

[quote]much better than Thomann's.[/quote]

In my experience of Thomann that isn't physically possible. I've bought about 10 items from them over several years and returned an amp for repair and their service has always been pretty unbeatable bar naked delivery ladies or 500% refunds.

I've dealt with Dolphin commercially and they're not great. Calls not returned, orders processed slowly even when I've been told on the 'phone items are in stock. In one case a rep emailed me after a week to ask if I still needed the quote I asked him for (he hadn't done it), by which point I'd placed the order elsewhere. They do give me good prices though....

Since Nov ive had 4 bass's from Thomanns (plus stuff from them in the past)
First was a MIM 50's classic that i didnt like and so sent back. got a HW-One in stead from them.
Then this month ive had two Lakland DD's from them. Now, i have issues with the Laklands. Both arrived not in lakland boxes (both Fenders were sealed Fender boxes)and both covered in finger marks and smudges and both had part of the plastic covering on the pick guard removed. Ive emailed Dan about this as i do think this is how they are leaving the Lakland factory but they both clean up ok. The second DD i have was to replace the first as i thought it was a ex demo but when the second turned up and it was in the same condition i guess that both are new. The second has come from Lakland only this week as they were out fo stock when i ordered it.

Saying that Thomann have been very easy to deal with and its no problem at all getting stuff back to them. they arrange UPS to send you a label and you just call UPS and arrange a time for them to pick it up. Nothing to pay and the refunds have been quick. plus its free postage as well.

The Gallery also have Lakland's but its best to call or email them for a price. They wont match Thomanns though.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='nash' post='145000' date='Feb 22 2008, 01:10 PM']so thomann is my best bet then[/quote]

I would say so. Delivery time is also very quick. My last DD took two days. thats quicker than a lot of UK based companies.

I will be interested to know what condition your BG arrives in if you do get it.

Good luck.

What about importing from USA? Even with duty/vat and P&P could you not bring a Skyline in for around £575?
Or there's this guy on evilbay

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAKLAND-JOE-OSBORN-JAZZ-BASS-GUITAR-NEW-Save_W0QQitemZ260212774301QQihZ016QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAKLAND-JOE-OSBORN-J...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='145030' date='Feb 22 2008, 01:40 PM']What about importing from USA? Even with duty/vat and P&P could you not bring a Skyline in for around £575?
Or there's this guy on evilbay

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAKLAND-JOE-OSBORN-JAZZ-BASS-GUITAR-NEW-Save_W0QQitemZ260212774301QQihZ016QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAKLAND-JOE-OSBORN-J...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url][/quote]

I thought of doing that as well but im now glad i didnt due to having to send things back.

[quote name='paul, the' post='145122' date='Feb 22 2008, 03:40 PM']I've been waiting for you to get one, nash :)

Although they're quite refined. No dirty squier. narf.

Will you take off the controls?[/quote]

haha. well im getting a BG from beerdragon very soon so i can judge it from there. if i like the bass itself and not the pup i may change for an emg. and yes probs will take the controls off. i really don't need them.

i had a DJ once upon a time when i had my EBS HD350 head and had a fairly clean tone. now im in a different band and i have a sunn 300t so im dirt now.

Edited by nash

[quote name='paul, the' post='145168' date='Feb 22 2008, 04:27 PM']Remove a Fralin! How dare thee!![/quote]

Too right. that's an insult to all things punchy.
I was very impressed with the sound of the Fralin in my DD. Very punchy and clear.
Im sure the BG will be the same. Its a very bright sound with the tone knob all the way up. First bass ive owned that i cant run with full tone.
But IMO thats nice. The tone knob seems ot do a lot more on my DD compared to the Fenders i have.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='nash' post='145123' date='Feb 22 2008, 03:45 PM']haha. well im getting a BG from beerdragon very soon so i can judge it from there. if i like the bass itself and not the pup i may change for an emg. and yes probs will take the controls off. i really don't need them.

i had a DJ once upon a time when i had my EBS HD350 head and had a fairly clean tone. now im in a different band and i have a sunn 300t so im dirt now.[/quote]

Will you sell me the Fralin?

I'm thinking about using [url="http://www.basscentral.com"]Bass Central[/url] (Florida) for a DJ5 - I know this is a different model to yours.

Thomann will charge me about £1,200 for bass+case (but free shipping), the same deal through Bass Central (including import tax & duties/insured UPS shipping/Lakland case) will come in at around £1,040 - a saving of £160.00 - I also know the driver who would do the delivery at this end, so maybe less :) . Bass Central say their Laklands are in stock and 'factory boxed' - they'll obviously ship in the case inside the shipping box.

They're doing Bob Glaubs for $980, so a similar deal will set you back c.£820.00.

I know where I'm going.

P