Why become a member? ×

Vertical stacking (of 2x10 cabs)

Jesso

Just wondering if many of you do this.
I used to vertically stack a pair of Markbass 102HF cabs, and I found it great.
I must admit, I miss the feeling of having a tower of doom behind me at gigs.
A pair of 12's is great and all, but with a vertically stacked pair of 2x10 cabs you get serious clout and with the speakers being so high up you really hear yourself.

Those of you that do it, which cabs do you use?
I may be in the market for a pair of 2x10s soon!

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1257751' date='Jun 5 2011, 08:39 PM']I toyed with the idea for a while, but I couldn't find any 2x10s that sounded big enough for such a low tuning. Which is a big shame because I'd love to have had a nice tall stack without the sheer bulkiness![/quote]

Most people won't have that problem though... I wouldn't imagine there's too many running the same set up as you.... You should possibly look into running a few of these stacked up.

[url="http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Accugroove-Whappo-Grande-Bass-Cabinet?sku=480886&CJAID=10381297&CJPID=4169693"]http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/pr...p;CJPID=4169693[/url]

I actually turn my Aggie DB112's on their edge so that I get a bit more vertical height. Stacked normally they barely reach waist height but stacked on edge (with solid foam between to avoid handles tipping the cabs/amp over) they are at shoulder height with the horn at the top. They are a little precarious but unless I was at a mental gig there's no way they'd topple... "touch wood"! :) It makes a heck of a difference when on a confined stage and you want the maximum monitor output. I'm not sure if it has any afect on the FOH sound but it's not like I'm lacking any output. :)

I`d love to do it, but can`t because of two major factors:

1. Two 210s cost more than a 410 by the same manufacturer.

2. For some reason I always end up in bands with clumsy people, who have tendencies to walk into things, and a stack of two 210s vertically wouldn`t make it through rehearsals, yet alone gigs.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1257765' date='Jun 5 2011, 08:47 PM']I actually turn my Aggie DB112's on their edge so that I get a bit more vertical height. Stacked normally they barely reach waist height but stacked on edge (with solid foam between to avoid handles tipping the cabs/amp over) they are at shoulder height with the horn at the top. They are a little precarious but unless I was at a mental gig there's no way they'd topple... "touch wood"! :) It makes a heck of a difference when on a confined stage and you want the maximum monitor output. I'm not sure if it has any afect on the FOH sound but it's not like I'm lacking any output. :)[/quote]

Good thinking.
I haven't tried that with my GS12 cabs, cos the handle makes em unstable.
What do you mean by a bit of solid foam? Is it a bit of packaging or something? I'd like to try that out.

[quote]For some reason I always end up in bands with clumsy people, who have tendencies to walk into things, and a stack of two 210s vertically wouldn`t make it through rehearsals, yet alone gigs.[/quote]

With a big set of 2x10s (like the markbass 102HF cabs) vertically stacked they are well solid. It'd take a serious push to get them to move anywhere. They are quite deep cabs though, that's what makes em stable.

If i played bass properly, i'd have a pair of vertically stacked 10's. Was GASing for some desperately, until i tried a bunch out with my current setup. I really wanted to like them too! Because I played two markbass 2x10s together on a metal gig before, tuned to Eb. AMAZING! I'd recommend it to anyone before the space stealing option of an 8x10 stack!

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='Jesso' post='1257773' date='Jun 5 2011, 10:51 PM']I haven't tried that with my GS12 cabs, cos the handle makes em unstable.[/quote]

Hmmm, my GS112s seem to stack ok, but I do put a towel under the shuttle head on top for extra stability ... the bugger has a tendence to start shaking off otherwise:
[url="http://www.4shared.com/photo/lTBD8SYf/IMG_0029.html"]http://www.4shared.com/photo/lTBD8SYf/IMG_0029.html[/url]

[quote name='Jesso' post='1257773' date='Jun 5 2011, 08:51 PM']What do you mean by a bit of solid foam? Is it a bit of packaging or something? I'd like to try that out.[/quote]
The kind of hard/semi-hard foam that comes packed around new PCs/electrical equipment. The stuff I got is ideal as it literally is a rectangle which fits around the handle (sitting between the two cabs) but is sufficiently wide that it almost goes to the edge of the cab and forms a nice solid 'D/O' ring around the handle; same goes for the top cab/amp. It really does make a heck of a difference. I may have a pick from a gig which I'll stick up to illustrate.

<edit>

As an added bonus it isolates any vibration to the amp thus prolonging the life of the amp... probably! :)

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1257963' date='Jun 6 2011, 12:09 AM']I can't agree...

[/quote]

Now that's what I'm talkin about....
I've had a hankering to try some Bergs for a while now.
Those cabs look quite big physically due to the offset positioning of the 10s.
How would you rate one of those cabs next to a GS112?
They're expensive buggers too... am I right?

[quote name='Jesso' post='1257988' date='Jun 6 2011, 01:23 AM']Now that's what I'm talkin about....
I've had a hankering to try some Bergs for a while now.
Those cabs look quite big physically due to the offset positioning of the 10s.
How would you rate one of those cabs next to a GS112?
They're expensive buggers too... am I right?[/quote]
The cabs do look big in the pic, but singly they're really very compact and an easy lift. The whole shebang is very stable, and it'll never topple... especially using a micro head.

I've never used a GS112, but as far as I'm aware it's quite a scooped cab. The HS210 isn't... it's got lots going on in the mids.

Expensive... yes. Like Stella Artois. :)

I'm lucky - with the Streamliner, I've hit on a perfect combination. I barely use both cabs any more. The STL and a single cab don't half chuck it out...

I started stacking 2x10"s vertically in 1999. Had two Acme Low-B2s, with a 6U rack containing SWR Grand Prix and Mackie M1400 and big tuner thing. The power amp was changed to a lighter and more powerful one, the rack to a 4U lighter one, and then the preamp to an Avalon U5. Only changed the cabs when I designed and built my own, used them for almost a decade.

The only downside to such tall rigs is that if they're single cab that cab has to be rather large! With superior off-axis response you can get the same "straight into your ears" sound with an only moderately tall cab though. If you make your cabs tall and shallow with moderate width you can have an imposing stack which fits visually under a rack or large head and is still a doddle to move.

If anyone thinks their bandmates are so clumsy that a tall stack will be knocked over... Well I can't see any band like that managing to get through a whole song without a cacophony of upended cymbal stands! :)

Alex, you really haven`t worked with any of my old band-mates, lol.

For some reason, probably as the cymbals are shiny (so can be seen by the dim-witted), and the stands are sharp-ish, they seemed to be avoided.

Whereas everything else was fair game for destruction :)

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1257770' date='Jun 5 2011, 08:50 PM']2. For some reason I always end up in bands with clumsy people, who have tendencies to walk into things, and a stack of two 210s vertically wouldn`t make it through rehearsals, yet alone gigs.[/quote]

At 6ft and 20st, nothing gets near my gear unless I want it to.....lol