Why become a member? ×

5-string Stingray alternative with wide string spacing?

mcnach

I have two nice 5-string basses, a G&L L2500 Tribute and a MM SUB5.

They're fine, but I really really like wide string spacing on 5-string basses (19-20mm).
MM don't make a Stingray like that.

What is the best alternative?

I have found the Lakland 55-02, which seems decent. I don't like the finish they offer, but the bass seems like it'll get me close soundwise.

Any other alternatives?

Yamaha TRB5 has 19mm string spacing. Less aggressive sound than an SR5 but also a great bass and worth a try if you haven't already. I regularly use both in my covers band. Which one depends on my mood and the phases of the moon

[attachment=81811:P1020721.jpg]

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1257340' date='Jun 5 2011, 02:17 PM']Or build one. :)

[/quote]
That looks too wide to my eyes, I would rather get used to a slightly narrower spacing when playing a five than play a cricket bat just so the spacings are how I was used to previous 4's. Part of the joy of a Ray 5 is the already wide nut meens they dont cramp up like some 5's when your playing the first 5 frets, Its all well and good having 19mm at the bridge but iff they all come together at the other end its going to be weird to play IMO&E

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1257407' date='Jun 5 2011, 03:50 PM']That looks too wide to my eyes, I would rather get used to a slightly narrower spacing when playing a five than play a cricket bat just so the spacings are how I was used to previous 4's. Part of the joy of a Ray 5 is the already wide nut meens they dont cramp up like some 5's when your playing the first 5 frets, Its all well and good having 19mm at the bridge but iff they all come together at the other end its going to be weird to play IMO&E[/quote]
This is actually set at ~17mm.... maybe it's an optical illusion with the pups being 4 string sized.

Weird! I guess unless you have it in your hands it meens nothing anyway, The Tony Levin OLP feels just a little bit too tight to me and some Fender 5's have felt too wide so I guess for me somewhere in the middle is a good comprimise and keeps the neck fairly narrow. I would think not many of us that swap from 4 to 5 mid set have much trouble anyway, If you can add an extra string and half inch+ of fret board a mm here or there wouldnt hurt?. Man up Jose :)

[quote name='Machines' post='1257269' date='Jun 5 2011, 12:50 PM']What about a Sandberg Basic 5 ? Not sure what the spacing is but it [url="http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc161/nakedcapybara/SandbergScratchplate.jpg"]looks quite wide here[/url].[/quote]

Nice looking bass, but pickup seems to be a bit too far from the bridge, and spacing seems similar to a SR5 to me... can't find details online.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1257265' date='Jun 5 2011, 12:44 PM']I have two nice 5-string basses, a G&L L2500 Tribute and a MM SUB5.

They're fine, but I really really like wide string spacing on 5-string basses (19-20mm).
MM don't make a Stingray like that.

What is the best alternative?

I have found the Lakland 55-02, which seems decent. I don't like the finish they offer, but the bass seems like it'll get me close soundwise.

Any other alternatives?[/quote]
I have a similiar train of thought I found the Yamaha's are nice and wide as is the Cort GB75 and GB 95, I have a Yamaha RBX775 that I'm selling that has a lovely wide board It is listed on BC maybe have a look

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1257297' date='Jun 5 2011, 01:29 PM']Have you tried a real Ray 5 Jose? Thats not me being a gear slag as usual but mine is much wider than the OLP Tony Levin for example and switching between 4 and 5 Rays hasnt given me too much trouble so Im sure you would do just fine.[/quote]

No, I have an MM SUB5 which I assumed has the same dimensions (because of using the same bridge). I play the SUB5 and the G&L L2500 quite a bit, both have similar dimensions (well, string spacing, the G&L has a deeper neck profile, clubbier). I really like them both, but there's always that "aaah, if it only had a slightly wider spacing". And when I do try a wide-spacing 5-stringer, I really like it (but they never are Stingray-like...)

Having said that, if I have to trade the sound for the spacing, I'd keep to the narrower one. That's why I'm not changing in a hurry... but I'd like to know what's out there to keep my eye on things and try when I get a chance.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1257340' date='Jun 5 2011, 02:17 PM']Or build one. :lol:

[/quote]

:)

I doubt I can afford you... but the day I decide to have one made, I know who I'll be calling.
Nice logo. Can we see a close up of the headstock, please? :)

[quote name='ikay' post='1257399' date='Jun 5 2011, 03:39 PM']Yamaha TRB5 has 19mm string spacing. Less aggressive sound than an SR5 but also a great bass and worth a try if you haven't already. I regularly use both in my covers band. Which one depends on my mood and the phases of the moon

[attachment=81811:P1020721.jpg][/quote]

That's one of the basses I tried that I liked!!! Nice neck.

except it's not a Stingray and does not sound like one. But it's a great bass, for sure.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1257537' date='Jun 5 2011, 06:01 PM']You haven't asked in the ernie's balls forum, have ya? They'll have you deported to Guantanamo Bay if you do. Be careful lol :D[/quote]

I asked, I did :lol:

I asked if EBMM made any 5-string bass with a 19-20mm string spacing at the bridge.
Some good replies.
Also the invariable fundamentalist replies "no, and that's how it should be" type of replies.
They have an interesting cult going on there :)

I almost added a reply "pity, I guess I'll but a Lakland then" but it was such a nice sunny day that I didn't want to upset anybody just for my own fun :P

Today is cloudy 'though... I may still write that :)

I haven't tried a sub 5 so I can't tell you if it's any different or not, Best bet is to try a standard EBMM Ray 5 and see what you think, At least the rest of it will be to your liking especially if you go for a 2008 onwards model. It's a shame you don't live nearer me as most of your answers could be found right here. I bet you would want a pre EB though if you did :)

Actually I wonder what a classicRay 5 would be like? Although from what Gareth mm20 was saying about EB list prices they must be well over 2k now.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1257563' date='Jun 5 2011, 06:23 PM']:)

I doubt I can afford you... but the day I decide to have one made, I know who I'll be calling.
Nice logo. Can we see a close up of the headstock, please? :)[/quote]
There's always mate's rates :lol:

Here you go Jose.

I've been trying out this logo for a couple of years now but I'm actually thinking of changing to something less finicky and that I can also print in white for dark/black headstocks.

(this actual one is an early incarnation before I got the black just right)

If you can find one, get an old MTD Kingston (horrible resale :) ), get Wizard to re-wind the pick up and put a Higgie pre-amp in it [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139138"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139138[/url]