Why become a member? ×

NBD! CV Precision - Wow.

sime17

Well actually it was yesterday - but I needed some time to control the gushing hyperbole.

In a familar 'origins of GAS' storyline - I'd persuaded myself that to dep some forthcoming blues gigs (first one was last night) I should really get a P-bass. I faffed on it too long to snag a couple of nice ones on here, toyed with the idea of a Highway 1 or a MIM but couldn't find one in stock in my target 3-tone s/b from any retailer I'd bought from before... then I remembered the good things I'd heard about the CV Squiers (particularly on BC)... I found a fiesta red one at Andertons online and bought the bastad blind.

It arrived yesterday - I got home from work - slung the fender flats off my fretless onto it and took it to the gig after a very quick fiddle.

Blimey! It was fantastic! It's nicely set up out of the box, as well finished as any bass I've owned, and apart from the missing 'thumb rest' b string it felt really natural and comfortable to play. I dunno if the necks on these are typically sized for a p but it just feels right. And the sound is a real revelation. I'VE BEEN PLAYING FOR TWENTY BLOODY YEARS - WHY THE FLIP DIDN'T I TRY A PRECISION BFORE NOW? Somewhere in my head I was probably hung up about the one pickup thing being limiting but who gives a toss when it gives such a fundamentally good tone.

I had my fave DJ5 with me as well and played half of each set on that but this cheap little p bass is something of a revelation - even stock. In fact, and this is the tragic thing - I've got it on now :)

When I got it out - the guitarist (who's a big John Meyer fan) said "that looks like Pino's".

M'lud I rest my case. P content.

:)

very familiar story.

I am too a recent "discoverer" of the P-bass.
I realised that what I don't like much is the sound of a P-bass with rounds and tone wide open. But turn tone down and/or add flats of some description... and it's a big eye opener! Even rounds+tone open sounds good in the band context, even if by itself it's kind of "meh" (for me).

I also have a fiesta red CV Squier, and like you I was amazed. It felt great, sounded great and was set up just right too. I've ended up putting a John East P-Retro in it, because I can't help it, it's an afliction of mine... but it doesn't really need it, I think.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1257054' date='Jun 5 2011, 02:37 AM']I realised that what I don't like much is the sound of a P-bass with rounds and tone wide open. But turn tone down and/or add flats of some description... and it's a big eye opener! Even rounds+tone open sounds good in the band context, even if by itself it's kind of "meh" (for me).

I also have a fiesta red CV Squier, and like you I was amazed. It felt great, sounded great and was set up just right too. I've ended up putting a John East P-Retro in it, because I can't help it, it's an afliction of mine... but it doesn't really need it, I think.[/quote]

Have you checked out John East's video on how to get the best out of the P-Retro?

One of its great attractions is that it can make rounds + pick sound good to a flats + fingers player, and of course [i]vice versa[/i].

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1257090' date='Jun 5 2011, 08:17 AM']Welcome to the world of the Precision.

Great to hear such good comments about the Squier CV series, as I`ve just agreed a deal on a CV Jazz, and am eagerly looking forward to picking it up.[/quote]

I hate you.

(I saw that Jazz on the for-sale section a little too late :))

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1257219' date='Jun 5 2011, 11:43 AM']One of its great attractions is that it can make rounds + pick sound good to a flats + fingers player, and of course [i]vice versa[/i].[/quote]

Can it? Personally, the rounds + pick sound is awful IMO! Nice playing from Phil though :)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1257219' date='Jun 5 2011, 11:43 AM']Have you checked out John East's video on how to get the best out of the P-Retro?

One of its great attractions is that it can make rounds + pick sound good to a flats + fingers player, and of course [i]vice versa[/i].[/quote]
Sounds pretty good.

Hmm, I'm a passive kind of guy (generally) so dunno about the p-retro but I can see me doin pots and pickup eventually. Still lovin the new toy tho and spending an unhealthy amount of time in its company... the laquer on the neck and headstock is so thick it's practically frikkin edible :)

I can understand Mr Wazoo's addiction ... mmmm CV 51 P with just that neck single coil.....

Congratulations, great to hear! There is indeed a special kind of magic in a nice P-bass with flats. I've had a bit of a jazz period the last 6-7 weeks, but for todays rehearsal I brought my P (w Chromes) and had a similar wow/wtf moment.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1257221' date='Jun 5 2011, 11:44 AM']I hate you.

(I saw that Jazz on the for-sale section a little too late :))[/quote]
I'd just like to say I think Radge Against the Machine is a great name. And that I love my Precision, too.

[quote name='bremen' post='1258990' date='Jun 6 2011, 09:41 PM']I'd just like to say I think Radge Against the Machine is a great name. And that I love my Precision, too.[/quote]

:) thanks!
first gig with that outfit in a couple of weeks. Should be fun. But no P-basses at that one I'm afraid :)

Welcome to the CV club.

After spending (and wasting) a good few £1000 over the past few years (including a lot on a DJ5 P/J conversion) i really wish i had got my CV P a lot earlier.

Im still very tempted to get a P-Retro (that video has convinced me i will get one some day) but at the moment im still not 100% im keeping the CV P as i still dont love the colour. It wont stop me from using and loving the bass itself, but after seeing the White Matt Freeman P im convinced my CV P isnt going to make it till the end of the year.

Edited by dave_bass5

Has anyone directly A/Bed one of these with a MIA P Bass?

I just tried another MIA P, and to be honest, it sounded and felt great, but I still prefer my MIA 3TS/Rosewood that Ive had for over a year now. Im finding it hard to get anywhere close to as good, so im thinking of just spending a lot less on a CV P.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1260998' date='Jun 8 2011, 11:43 AM']Welcome to the CV club.

After spending (and wasting) a good few £1000 over the past few years (including a lot on a DJ5 P/J conversion) i really wish i had got my CV P a lot earlier.

Im still very tempted to get a P-Retro (that video has convinced me i will get one some day) but at the moment im still not 100% im keeping the CV P as i still dont love the colour. It wont stop me from using and loving the bass itself, but after seeing the White Matt Freeman P im convinced my CV P isnt going to make it till the end of the year.[/quote]

S'funny - I would never have chosen this colour (partic. if sunburst had been an option) but it started growing on me (from the pics - never saw one in the flesh)- and when it arrived it's such a pleasant surprise that it's so nicely finished. I 'spose the tortoiseshell is a bit cheap close up but at gig-distance I think this bass looks the nuts - you didn't see many p basses in this combination either (until this model came out!).