Why become a member? ×

FYI... Fender Adam Clayton P bass!

Noisyjon

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1255518' date='Jun 3 2011, 04:00 PM']what kind of narcisstic, egotistical, megalomaniac would have a sparkly gold bass built for themselves
:)[/quote]

This is why i even wear gold sparkle string tangas :)

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1255724' date='Jun 3 2011, 05:28 PM']Going back on topic - What price do you think this'll be available for?
I'm going to throw my hat in the ring with £3,500 in the shops, Not R.R.P.

Let's be having you...[/quote]

I reckon you are spot on there, between £3500 and £4000

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

[quote name='danweb22' timestamp='1307119166' post='1255732']
I reckon you are spot on there, between £3500 and £4000
[/quote]

First one I've seen for sale (Apologies if this has been done before);

Your price was pretty good!

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Custom-Shop-Limited-Adam-Clayton-Signature-Precision-P-Bass-Gold-Sparkle-/190623718865?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c620f1dd1#ht_4805wt_1185"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Custom-Shop-Limited-Adam-Clayton-Signature-Precision-P-Bass-Gold-Sparkle-/190623718865?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c620f1dd1#ht_4805wt_1185[/url]

Thanks RicksF52!
It's jst over £3k here:
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_adam_clayton_signature_pbass.htm?sid=956177a41cdfe8216023c8adaf38c418"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_adam_clayton_signature_pbass.htm?sid=956177a41cdfe8216023c8adaf38c418[/url]

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1307094168' post='1255164']

I think there's 2 way's of looking at this. there's the purists view, that Fender's, made by true craftsmen, and luthiers...
[/quote]

Until the advent of the Custom Shop in 1987, no Fender had ever been made by a luthier. Craftsmen, yes, but usually trained on-the-job.
Fenders were explicitly designed the way they were so that lutherie was not required, just very good basic workmanship. This simple fact seems to elude most vintage Fender lovers. Leo, I guarantee, would probably prefer the current production lines at Fender to his own, as mass-production on this scale was what he aspired to, of never achieved.

I like it! :D

But you'd need to wear a pair of white loons, white patent platform boots, white shirt with a 'f***-off' collar, white waistcoat, 'Rubettes'-style white cap, and play it through an Orange rig in front of a sparkly silver curtain and have a mirrorball hanging over your head.

Of course, the drummer would need to play a matching gold metalflake kit. What's not to like??

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1330268584' post='1554872']
Fenders were explicitly designed the way they were so that lutherie was not required, just very good basic workmanship. This simple fact seems to elude most vintage Fender lovers.
[/quote]

Tru dat. It doesn't elude me, though. I've never understood why you'd need to get a luthier to make you a 'vintage' Fender when it would be a lot more 'authentic' to have it made from high-quality production parts.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1330268584' post='1554872']
Until the advent of the Custom Shop in 1987, no Fender had ever been made by a luthier. Craftsmen, yes, but usually trained on-the-job.
Fenders were explicitly designed the way they were so that lutherie was not required, just very good basic workmanship. This simple fact seems to elude most vintage Fender lovers. Leo, I guarantee, would probably prefer the current production lines at Fender to his own, as mass-production on this scale was what he aspired to, of never achieved.
[/quote]

I think you've taken a part of my quote, which isolated reads differently to my whole quote, but I know what you mean, and mostly agree. Early Fenders were hand finished, and the attention to detail was considered, unlike some latter examples. I agree with you though, they were designed simply, mainly so parts could be changed easily. I think Leo would be happy with today's mass market share the brand has, especially as they have a product for all budgets, which I think would have pleased him more.

From my knowledge though, I don't think he ever aspired to mass-production and domination of a market. He was quite a boffin type inventor, whose real passion was in the tool shed, creating instruments that people found useable, and fulfilled the musicians needs. The mass production part was really a bi-product of him creating instruments that were far more successful than he ever imagined, partly due to the era itself, and mainly the fact Fender were the first company to properly create consistently good instruments for all genre's.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330269433' post='1554898']
Tru dat. It doesn't elude me, though. I've never understood why you'd need to get a luthier to make you a 'vintage' Fender when it would be a lot more 'authentic' to have it made from high-quality production parts.
[/quote]

It certainly doesn't elude me either, probably because it's not entirely true, but i understand the intent of the remark.

I agree with you though Discreet. I think people often buy Custom Shop Fenders, not only because they will get a pretty high quality instrument, but because they generally retain value. I'm sure we've all seen luthier made P's and J's that have been hand made, hand finished, with quality components used throughout, which probably cost an arm and a leg, only to realise 1/4 of that outlay when it comes to re-sale. Is it worse than a Fender CS?, probably not, but brands retain value, and re-sell easier, not just in the guitar market.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1330273682' post='1554979']
I'm sure we've all seen luthier made P's and J's that have been hand made, hand finished, with quality components used throughout, which probably cost an arm and a leg, only to realise 1/4 of that outlay when it comes to re-sale.
[/quote]

Having made my previous comments, I actually do have a custom 'vintage' P-Bass incoming, so it will be very interesting to see what that's like! It will have an Allparts neck though, so hopefully it won't make me too much of a hypocrite! :lol:

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1330272228' post='1554958']
Exactly. Finishing aside, anyone who took enough care ought to be able to emulate basic Custom Shop standards out of Warmoth or similar components.
[/quote]

This can certainly be the case. I've made (By 'made' I mean 'assembled') 3 basses to replicate my real ones, a '52, a '56 & '58. I've been very selective with regards to components, and they have probably cost me (Not allowing for my time), around £4-500. Are they as good as my Ltd CS Relic?, they probably are yes. But not everyone has the time or patience to source the parts and assemble, set them up. Here's my 'Project' '56 & '58's;

[attachment=101056:1.JPG]

[attachment=101057:7.JPG]

[attachment=101059:10.JPG]

[attachment=101058:DSCF1354.JPG]

[attachment=101061:DSCF1365.JPG]

[attachment=101062:DSCF1358.JPG]

(I didnt mean to hijack the thread!! :o ) Sorry.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330274400' post='1554995']
Having made my previous comments, I actually do have a custom 'vintage' P-Bass incoming, so it will be very interesting to see what that's like! It will have an Allparts neck though, so hopefully it won't make me too much of a hypocrite! :lol:
[/quote]

I'm sure it will be fab. If its to [i]your[/i] spec, then it will suit [i]you[/i], and [i]you[/i] will be happy with it for sure, as its what [i]you[/i] want. Thats the single most important thing about any guitar that you intend to play regularly.