Why become a member? ×

Pre EB Stingray on Fleabay

This Stingray has just come on and looks pretty good for the money if anyone is looking for one.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130524339789&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ME:B:SS:GB:1123[/url]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1243050' date='May 24 2011, 03:35 PM']This Stingray has just come on and looks pretty good for the money if anyone is looking for one.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130524339789&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ME:B:SS:GB:1123[/url][/quote]

MB1. :D

:) So basically "Mint" now means Roadworn? :) :lol:

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1243104' date='May 24 2011, 04:12 PM']Yeah I guess so!

I mean really who expects a 32 year old bass to be in mint condition?[/quote]

If it's described as "mint" then I expect it to be "mint" - the age is irrelevant. You do get basses which have been forgotten in a shop stock room, or bought for someone who had no interest in bass then mothballed for years. Rare, but it can happen. But in short, I expect a 32 year old "mint condition" bass to be in "mint condition". I'm quite the pedant that way.

[quote]Dear stroosioo, Hi, On this item you state it is in "mint" condition, however the pictures you've provided clearly show considerable damage, however you do state later in the description that it shows signs of time. I question weather the item in the pictures is the same one you describe.? Thanks - destined_hero

Dear destined_hero, Hi, OK, it's in 'mint' condition for it's age, but as it's over 30 years old and never been repaired or resprayed you can see the signs of use, worn-out lacquer, some small dents, the usual thing that happens to most guitars being used daily. By 'mint' I mean no cracks to the body or neck, no repairs done to the instrument, no alterations, and so on... feel free to ask if you need any extra info.[/quote]
Aw he's redefining "mint" for us.
Sounds like a helpful enough chap and probably a treat to deal with and no mistake..... none of your wishy-washy "the customer is always right" from this bastion of the English language. :)

Matt, as resident pedant would you care to instruct our "I know I'm right but I'll ask anyway" questioner (destined_hero) in the differences between "weather" and "whether"? :)

The point here though is that when you look at the pics it is obvious that the bass has done some work, which is to be expected, but did that guy really have to bother to e-mail the seller to complain?? Some people must have more time on their hands than me!!!

[quote name='neepheid' post='1243372' date='May 24 2011, 08:05 PM']If it's described as "mint" then I expect it to be "mint" - the age is irrelevant. You do get basses which have been forgotten in a shop stock room, or bought for someone who had no interest in bass then mothballed for years. Rare, but it can happen. But in short, I expect a 32 year old "mint condition" bass to be in "mint condition". I'm quite the pedant that way.[/quote]

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1243458' date='May 24 2011, 09:02 PM']Matt, as resident pedant would you care to instruct our "I know I'm right but I'll ask anyway" questioner (destined_hero) in the differences between "weather" and "whether"? :)[/quote]
As a proper pedant, I shall point out that "it's age" should be "its age". Possessive its has no apostrophe.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1243482' date='May 24 2011, 09:16 PM']The point here though is that when you look at the pics it is obvious that the bass has done some work, which is to be expected, but did that guy really have to bother to e-mail the seller to complain??[b] Some people must have more time on their hands than me!!![/b][/quote]

he probably doesnt use basschat?

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1243482' date='May 24 2011, 09:16 PM']The point here though is that when you look at the pics it is obvious that the bass has done some work, which is to be expected, but did that guy really have to bother to e-mail the seller to complain?? Some people must have more time on their hands than me!!![/quote]

The point is it's a barefaced lie.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1244106' date='May 25 2011, 12:01 PM']The point is it's a barefaced lie.[/quote]

I don't think it's meant as a lie, just a mis-use of the word, and if he'd meant to deceive then the photos swiftly put paid to that anyway. Maybe a little dumb but not devious IMO.

Edited by Maverick

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1248591' date='May 28 2011, 08:05 PM']The preamp looks like a replacement, they should be covered in black epoxy, the cavity has been copper screened, so techically it has been repaired and it's too expensive for what it is, condition wise, I'd say fair.[/quote]
The pre is fine - they stopped using epoxy on the pre's '79 onwards. I think the copper shielding is a nice (non-invasive) touch. :)