Why become a member? ×

Excellent letter in latest BGM

obbm

I've not bought a magazine for years as I just read the internet. Most magazines I have looked recently have been 50% adverts although some of the adverts at the back are more interesting than the ones at the front :)

Is BGM still worth getting? Does it have lots of interesting articles or is it mostly adverts? Is Dood one of the boring adverts at the front or more interesting adverts at the back :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='1242027' date='May 23 2011, 06:52 PM']Is Dood one of the boring adverts at the front or more interesting adverts at the back :)[/quote]

I chuckled!! - I want to say that mine is like the 'and finally' story you get on regional news programs after a particularly dry politics report!

[quote name='dood' post='1242040' date='May 23 2011, 07:01 PM']I chuckled!! - I want to say that mine is like the 'and finally' story you get on regional news programs after a particularly dry politics report![/quote]

So just to confirn, there's no picture of you at the back with your rack out :):)

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='ern500evo' post='1241656' date='May 23 2011, 02:33 PM']I have to agree with Yorks5stringer that the writer may has slighly missed the point. Out of curiosity, i wonder if the writer is the same Geoff Livermore that plays in a Foo Fighters tribute band, and if it is, would he be so outraged if Nate Mendel gave the same answers! :)[/quote]
I live around the corner from Geoff - will check next time I see him (possibly in the pub tomorrow night)...!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='silddx' post='1242017' date='May 23 2011, 06:43 PM']Ooh, the Lemmy BP is on my coffee table, who are you in it?[/quote]

Page 12, the "Let's get copy straight from facebook" feature. Look for the fretless Stingray! Not very exciting really.

Back in the day, I threw together a bassist's useful links web site (long gone) when HTML was easy in the mid-90s. BP must have been either hard up for material or eager to embrace the internet age, as they mentioned it in the opening pages of the magazine.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1242027' date='May 23 2011, 06:52 PM']Is BGM still worth getting? Does it have lots of interesting articles or is it mostly adverts? Is Dood one of the boring adverts at the front or more interesting adverts at the back :)[/quote]
It has improved I think, there are a lot of adverts but in not im comparison to Bass Player (that US thing) which I flicked through in WHSMiths and I mistook it for a brochure, there seemed to be hardly anything readable in it, the first 8 pages i'm sure were just ads.

The adverts in BGM do get a bit repetitive though (like that stupid advert for a bass course with the kid with a Precision and an eagle coming out of his head). That's been in most copies for the last few years ! Bored of it now.

I've got this months copy, have flicked through it quickly to have a laugh at dood but will read it at lunchtime today.

[quote]I was in the first edition of Keraang[/quote]

Bizarrely, my 14 y.o. daughter is in this month's. In one of the little vox-pop reviews "Izzy from Reading" says how much she thinks Twin Atlantic ( who? ) have matured in their latest album

[quote name='peteb' post='1242091' date='May 23 2011, 07:24 PM']I live around the corner from Geoff - will check next time I see him (possibly in the pub tomorrow night)...![/quote]

He makes some really good points in the letter, i can see where he's coming from. Like someone else has said, the bassically speaking feature in BGM does appear lazy, with most players featured being predominantly 4 stringers who's music has no call for slap etc. Again a point raised in this thread, you only have to look at how many of them give the same answer to the gear used question, precision/ampeg. My Nate Mendel reference was a bit of harmless banter, Geoff's Foo's tribute band are really really good and i for one sure as hell wouldn't mind Nate's job!! :)