Why become a member? ×

Refinishing a bass body.. how much

bubinga5

Depends on how you do it. I refinished a bass in plain white for about £30 using some rattle-cans from Halfords. OTOH I remember reading a great quote from the Manchester Guitar Tech people that basically said that if you want them to re-finish your bass, it'd be cheaper to sell your bass and buy a new one in the right colour! :)

I fancy getting my Warwick re done at some point, so would also be interested in the answers. I leant her to a friend for a gig, and he didn't take off his belt like I always do, so she has a few battle scars on the back. I also wouldn't mind getting her done in warwick's green, as I'm a little tired of the blue. Would the paint need to be special to still see the figured maple top/swamp ash back?

When I was thinking about a refinish I was recommended to John Diggins and there's example prices on his website

[url="http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/repairs.html"]http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/repairs.html[/url]

In the end I decided against it.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1235078' date='May 17 2011, 11:43 PM']When I was thinking about a refinish I was recommended to John Diggins and there's example prices on his website

[url="http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/repairs.html"]http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/repairs.html[/url]

In the end I decided against it.[/quote]

Ouch they are expensive!

Yep, I've refinished a few of mine, and I can concur that if I was doing it for someone else I would charge through the nose for it. Especially if it had a bulletproof fender finish on it.
Nitormors and Halfords, 30 quid tops, oh and about a month of your life stinking and shouting at things. :)

Do you mean "do it yourself" price or "send it to someone who knows what they're doing price"? :)

I got a quote from Simms last year for refinishing a body in Burgundy Mist Metallic - £249, which I thought was pretty good considering the quality of their work.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1235659' date='May 18 2011, 01:26 PM']£249...???? :) :)[/quote]
[quote name='mart' post='1234535' date='May 17 2011, 04:38 PM']OTOH I remember reading a great quote from the Manchester Guitar Tech people that basically said that if you want them to re-finish your bass, it'd be cheaper to sell your bass and buy a new one in the right colour! :lol:[/quote]
IMO the Sims price is a good one considering the time and effort it takes.

How would I go about stripping a bass? One of the tough ones, not sure what its called, but a colour with a clear coating. Is it chemical, heat, sanding or a mixture of them all? And also how hard is it to get a good looking solid colour put back onto it?

[quote name='lobematt' post='1236970' date='May 19 2011, 03:09 PM']How would I go about stripping a bass? One of the tough ones, not sure what its called, but a colour with a clear coating. Is it chemical, heat, sanding or a mixture of them all? And also how hard is it to get a good looking solid colour put back onto it?[/quote]

Somebody with more expertise will probably come along and clarify this, but my understanding was that if you want to put a solid colour on, then you probably don't need to strip all the old coating off. You just need to sand it enough to make it rough so as to provide a good surface for the paint to grip to.

How hard it is to get a solid colour on will depend on 1) what experience you have of spraying, 2) how fussy you are - i.e., what you mean by "good looking". I found it quite easy spraying my bass, but a) I've done quite a bit of spray painting and :) I wasn't too fussy. Oh and c) I didn't mind spending a bit of time with t-cut rubbing the paint down after I'd finished spraying.

Edited by mart

[quote name='mart' post='1237013' date='May 19 2011, 03:50 PM']Yep, that's probably true. Although a bass that's "white with a hint of rose" would probably go down very well with the ladeez :)[/quote]

Haha you may have a point! Difficult to get the matched headstock I wanna give it as well haha. So just a LOT of sanding then? For respraing does it matter which type of paint you use?

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1237039' date='May 19 2011, 04:11 PM']Real poly sealer stripping sadly can't be done any other way. :)[/quote]

Except my way - using a poweful hairdryer and a paint scraper. Takes off the outer poly on a Fender and most of the sealer too

I stripped the poly finish from my bass with a gas blowtorch & a paint stripper. I heated the paint up gently (torch on lowest, unless you like scorched wood) & gently scraped with scraper. I then did the same again with the shellac that was under the paint & sanded the body down smooth with 40 grit, then 70, 120 & finally with 240 grit sandpaper & now in the process of coating the ash body in Danish oil (it reeks, but looks good!) I'm planning on doing 2-3 coats per day for the following 4-5 days (or whenever I get bored of not being able to play it). THen I'm gonna leave it for a week & then coat it with bees wax.

I'm still toying with the idea of adding some silver leaf, aluminium paint or some other colour to a section of the body.

If you can spraypaint, then finishing a bass isn't gonna be hard.