Why become a member? ×

John Paul Jones playing bass for Seasick Steve

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1234232' date='May 17 2011, 01:05 PM']I never got the Seasick Steve adulation... Isn't he Country Blues for people who buy CDs from ASDA?[/quote]

I saw him in the 12 Bar club in Denmark St. years ago (didn't go to see him, he was supporting somebody else) & he was absolute f***ing rubbish.
Haven't seen or heard anything that has made me think otherwise to this day.

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1234343' date='May 17 2011, 02:33 PM']I kind of admire SS's schtick and self-invention but does the music really compare...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_DOnKJ232M"]RL Burnside somewhere in a field in 1978[/url][/quote]
That's exactly what I'm talkin' about...

Fair play to SS, though - he's done alright out of it...

I couldn't understand why somebody of JPJ's calibre would be backing this f***wit, then I realised he's had extensive experience of playing with sloppy blues guitarists whose ability is far exceeded by the level of adoration they command..... :)

[quote name='RhysP' post='1234358' date='May 17 2011, 02:43 PM']I couldn't understand why somebody of JPJ's calibre would be backing this f***wit, then I realised he's had extensive experience of playing with sloppy blues guitarists whose ability is far exceeded by the level of adoration they command..... :)[/quote]

Oh, I see what you did there... :)

[quote name='KingPrawn' post='1235012' date='May 17 2011, 10:26 PM']Just watched JP Jones playing with sea sick steve, only think was I could see his hands running all over the neck. Cool rig etc. But could not hear a bass sound. What has just happened.[/quote]
Not a lot. Did wonder why in the first place as SS and Animal on the kit seem to have it pretty much covered. Then JH said it was Animals suggestion :)

'tube link:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beXuw-x166o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beXuw-x166o[/url]

The bass was mixed way too low, IMHO. Does JPJ always leave the pickup covers on? Guess it's ok if you pluck right on the end of the fingerboard.

Edited by OzMike

[quote name='stonecoldbass' post='1235142' date='May 18 2011, 04:14 AM']Anyone else think that JPJ looks like 'Bishop' (Lance Henriksson) from the 'Aliens' movie??![/quote]

DING

Thank you for that I was busting my head trying to think where I recognised his face from

PS I think the drummer was giving it so much the bass got lost