Why become a member? ×

anyone recommend a courier who will collect a bass not in a hard case and i can insure it?

gub

[quote name='gub' post='1233273' date='May 16 2011, 04:56 PM']Sorry i know this is in the wrong place but i am getting desperate and nobody has answered it in the correct section.[/quote]
If it's worth insuring surely it's worth packing properly & not chancing it to ANY couriers :)

[quote name='gub' post='1233273' date='May 16 2011, 04:56 PM']Sorry i know this is in the wrong place but i am getting desperate and nobody has answered it in the correct section.[/quote]
I suspect the problem is that so many couriers have small print that excludes guitars yet they will still take your premium to insure them, thus it's a bit of a minefield establishing who does.

Check the start of the thread that you originally posted in and you may be able to glean a courier that will accept your package BUT (and that is a big 'J Low' sized BUT), I personally would phone the courier and after establishing the name of the person you are speaking to (for later reference if there should be a problem), ask if they insure instruments that aren't in cases. There is no easy answer afaik!

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1233283' date='May 16 2011, 05:06 PM']If it's worth insuring surely it's worth packing properly & not chancing it to ANY couriers :)[/quote]

very true i may go up on the train and get it .

[quote name='gub' post='1233295' date='May 16 2011, 05:16 PM']very true i may go up on the train and get it .[/quote]
We should start our own BC network, if you're coming up to say Newcastle from Cornwall; you could collect a bass for me from down South (ie on route) and I'd meet you half way... just got to go and find someone selling a bass in Cornwall now. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1233299' date='May 16 2011, 05:19 PM']We should start our own BC network, if you're coming up to say Newcastle from Cornwall; you could collect a bass for me from down South (ie on route) and I'd meet you half way... just got to go and find someone selling a bass in Cornwall now. :)[/quote]
Sounds like a bloomin good idea to me mate ! :)

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1233415' date='May 16 2011, 06:48 PM']I have recently sent basses in gig bags, but also well packed in proper cardboard boxes. No problems.

Are you the buyer or seller ??

S[/quote]

i am the buyer stew, been quoted £61 so far insured for £300 and looked into train fair to rochester from cornwall and that is coming in at around £40 .

Edited by gub

Interparcel will do a UPS next day delivery for £6.99 + vat including 50 quid insurance. An extra tenner will get you £500. Always use them now but I do pack in a bombproof kinda way and stick fragile tape all over the place as anyone who has dealt with me will verify.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1233950' date='May 17 2011, 08:58 AM']I think you'll find that if it isn't packed properly then the insurance won't cover it - it will be in the small print of the contract.[/quote]

Yes, I found this out when sending my last bass - the small print on most of these sites (parcel2go, interparcel etc) states insurance only covers if packed in a hard case.

For £40 on the train, I`d collect.

The train option looks good to me; a nice day out, you get to see and try the bass before completing the deal, you're in complete control and won't be worrying about what state it may be in if a courier delivers it, plus you won't have any insurance hassles if it all goes wrong - and I'd reckon you can guarantee insurance hassles on anything not properly packaged.