Why become a member? ×

What strings do you use on your fretless?

gub

[quote name='Rob MacKillop' post='1230377' date='May 13 2011, 08:22 PM']I put those La Bella Deep Talkin strings on my fretless today - what a great sound! But I am aiming for a double-bass sound, which might not be what the OP is looking for.[/quote]
no i suppose i am looking for something with more bite as will be using it in a covers band doing rock numbers , i will take my fretted aswell and prob go between the two but am hoping to do more on the fretless

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1230229' date='May 13 2011, 05:59 PM']IIRC tension is to do with core gauge rather than total string gauge. As a rule of thumb a thicker string will generally have a thicker core, but it's not foolproof, strings can have thinner cores and thicker windings. :)[/quote]

Aye, which is why I wrote "apparent" heavy gauge :lol:. These strings were recommended to me and I was initially shocked by the numbers on the packet. However, my fear was unfounded :).

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1230188' date='May 13 2011, 05:34 PM']I can see this is going to be a long list of all the string makes.[/quote]

It would be useful if players wrote a few words describing their experience with each brand/model of string. A list of strings used is about as much use as a price list without the prices!

[quote name='muttley' post='1231110' date='May 14 2011, 05:11 PM']It would be useful if players wrote a few words describing their experience with each brand/model of string. A list of strings used is about as much use as a price list without the prices![/quote]
There's lots of threads with that information already. Including one that is live at the moment. What might have been more effective is if the OP had said what it was he was interested in sound or feel wise rather than just asking 'what strings do you use?'

IME it doesn't matter what people say about strings the only way you can find out what suits you is to try them on your bass for yourself.

Even a load of positive recommendations from others doesn't mean that you are going to like the sound or feel. As I've said before on similar threads DR strings get a lot of love here so I went out and bought several different sets to see what all the fuss was about. None of them suited me or the basses I put them on. To me they sounded dull and both the E and low B felt sloppy.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1231192' date='May 14 2011, 06:15 PM']IME it doesn't matter what people say about strings the only way you can find out what suits you is to try them on your bass for yourself.

Even a load of positive recommendations from others doesn't mean that you are going to like the sound or feel. As I've said before on similar threads DR strings get a lot of love here so I went out and bought several different sets to see what all the fuss was about. None of them suited me or the basses I put them on. To me they sounded dull and both the E and low B felt sloppy.[/quote]
I agree. There's no substitute for trying them out on the bass and playing the material.

[quote name='gub' post='1236438' date='May 18 2011, 10:58 PM']Well i have gone for DR NMR 45 SUNBEAMS in the end cost me £25 on e bay ,most i have ever paid for strings so hope they are worth it! :)[/quote]

Mate you wont regret your choice, esp at that price!