Why become a member? ×

playing fretless

gub

Only downside I've had with mine is simple paranoia, whenever my guitarist goes out of tune (and he does, a lot) I find myself sliding out my perfect intonation, thinking it's probably me. It isn't, and the sequenced synth track lets me know, fairly quickly. :)

I love the sound of a fretless P bass when used with minimal vibrato, dead strings/flats and a high action. Woody thump, great for trad rock, blues, funk, all sorts really. I still prefer fretted basses for loud rock music though, the attack sits better I think.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1224969' date='May 9 2011, 12:12 PM']Only downside I've had with mine is simple paranoia, whenever my guitarist goes out of tune (and he does, a lot) I find myself sliding out my perfect intonation, thinking it's probably me. It isn't, and the sequenced synth track lets me know, fairly quickly. :)[/quote]

I've had that problem..... I once did a recording for a singer/songwriter,playing fretless and upright.Anyway,
I laid down the bass at the same time as the drums and a scratch guitar/vocal,then went home. I got a call
the next day telling me that my tracks were out of tune!! Oh :)
He called me again a couple of hours later to apologise,and that actually it was the intonation on his Strat
copy that was out.

My thruppence for what it is worth. I went from 34" fretted to 35" fretless (unlined) on a whim, well it was my 60th birthday ......I got Chris at Overwater to put dots on the fretboard similar to the NS Uprights for sight assistance. I then pursuaded myself I needed a 35" fretted, I though that same scale would assist me, it did I practised on the fretted and gigged on the Fretless whilst experiencing similar issues with 'sound' and 'tone' as mentioned in previous posts in this thread. I use nylon flats and as it does'nt suit every tune I use the fretted. IMO lined would'nt be the way to go, as also mentioned your ear will tell you when notes are #/b. Do it...

10,000,000 string players can't all be wrong.

I have to say, I do smile when people say 'wow! its a fretless'. There is a tacit assumption that fretless players are in some way a cut above fretted players. Its nonsense. The 'additional' skills required to played fretless over fretted bass are about 1% of the whole package. The big issue is learning to listen to what you play rather than to assume that becasue you are on the thrid fret, you muct be in tune (I have heard plenty of fretted basses played out of tune. A fret is no guarantee!! :)). If you can't hear what you are playing on a fretless, you may experience problems. However, IME, if I can't hear it, noone else can either so it matters not a jot :)

Don't be frightened of it. Its not hard. Just different.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1225086' date='May 9 2011, 01:53 PM']I have to say, I do smile when people say 'wow! its a fretless'. There is a tacit assumption that fretless players are in some way a cut above fretted players. Its nonsense. The 'additional' skills required to played fretless over fretted bass are about 1% of the whole package. The big issue is learning to listen to what you play rather than to assume that becasue you are on the thrid fret, you muct be in tune (I have heard plenty of fretted basses played out of tune. A fret is no guarantee!! :)). If you can't hear what you are playing on a fretless, you may experience problems. However, IME, if I can't hear it, noone else can either so it matters not a jot :)

Don't be frightened of it. Its not hard. Just different.[/quote]

Yep, couldn't agree more!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1224625' date='May 8 2011, 10:54 PM']Yes, yes, yes, YES, YES and a thousand times YES. Fretless + piezo + filter preamp = hot fretless sex.[/quote]

Yeah. I've got a fretless Stingray with 3-band EQ and piezo. I can probably count on all of my thumbs the number of times a bassist has said to me after a gig "um so why's your Stingray got 5 knobs then"

Agree with most - trust your ears and you won't need lines.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1225086' date='May 9 2011, 01:53 PM']10,000,000 string players can't all be wrong.

I have to say, I do smile when people say 'wow! its a fretless'. There is a tacit assumption that fretless players are in some way a cut above fretted players. Its nonsense. The 'additional' skills required to played fretless over fretted bass are about 1% of the whole package. The big issue is learning to listen to what you play rather than to assume that becasue you are on the thrid fret, you muct be in tune (I have heard plenty of fretted basses played out of tune. A fret is no guarantee!! :)). If you can't hear what you are playing on a fretless, you may experience problems. However, IME, if I can't hear it, noone else can either so it matters not a jot :)

Don't be frightened of it. Its not hard. Just different.[/quote]

Don't let guitarists and the general public find out though, it's nice to look like you're clever when you're not. :lol:

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1225086' date='May 9 2011, 01:53 PM']10,000,000 string players can't all be wrong.

I have to say, I do smile when people say 'wow! its a fretless'. There is a tacit assumption that fretless players are in some way a cut above fretted players. Its nonsense. The 'additional' skills required to played fretless over fretted bass are about 1% of the whole package. The big issue is learning to listen to what you play rather than to assume that becasue you are on the thrid fret, you muct be in tune (I have heard plenty of fretted basses played out of tune. A fret is no guarantee!! :)). If you can't hear what you are playing on a fretless, you may experience problems. However, IME, if I can't hear it, noone else can either so it matters not a jot :lol:

[b]Do[/b][b]n't be frightened of it. Its not hard. Just different.[/b][u][/u][/quote]

I think this sums it up very nicely with the last comment being spot on. Different rather than hard is far more accurate description.
Thanks
Dave
:)

Edited by dmccombe7

• 2 weeks later...

Well i took all the advice in guys and went and got this little lovely , enjoying the new experience so far and looking forward at getting it into rehersals next week.
[attachment=80612:226772_1...071626_s.jpg]

[attachment=80611:248738_1...892435_n.jpg]

Cheers eskimo ,its a mij about 96 i think ,just changed the scratchplate to a torty one as love the look of it with the cream ,looks better than the white it came with imo . :)

[quote name='gub' post='1240457' date='May 22 2011, 04:18 PM']Cheers eskimo ,its a mij about 96 i think ,just changed the scratchplate to a torty one as love the look of it with the cream ,looks better than the white it came with imo . :)[/quote]

Well it is indeed a thing of beauty, I feel the monsters of jealously and GAS rearing themselves inside me!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1241529' date='May 23 2011, 01:11 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=136517"]Ahem...[/url] :)[/quote]
:)

Theres some amazing basses on there! Thats it I'm selling my fretted!! Who needs frets when you have the 'less.

Dan