Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day!

attackbass

So after a week of it sitting in the Parcelforce depot down the road I finally had my FGN Custom Shop Jazz Bass delivered this morning.

My first impressions were this is the nicest instrument I have ever played and the build work is exemplary, I haven't found a dead spot on the neck, each note rings out clearly with a bell like 'piano' tone, really 'fast' neck and it just looks stylish. I think I may be putting my 75 reissue Jazz into retirement as main bass!

I had the bass built to my specifications, tho with a Jazz there isn't a whole lot you can do but it's finished in Metallic Charcoal Grey with matching headstock, rosewood board/maple neck, ash body, Hipshot bridge and d-tuner, Seymour Duncan SJB-1 pickups and CTS-pots. It has a really cool feature that I think they used to do on old fenders where they leave a bump in the wood at the neck join on the lower hord for stability, I know Alleva Coppolo do this too... if it makes a big difference or not I dont know.

Anyway I thought I wold post a pic they had put up on their twitter before they sent it to me. [url="http://twitpic.com/4o0951"]FGN Twittpic Page[/url]

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1220281' date='May 4 2011, 08:59 PM']Nice bass, a mate of mine has a couple of FGN guitars, very good quality.

Reserved for Attack Attack - this is you guys?

[/quote]

Jesus Christ. I have just nearly destroyed my laptop. That is the worst youtube video I have ever seen. First of all, we have 'the crab' playing bass there, these limp wristed synchronised dance moves etc etc. Some knob playing keys and the dance music breakdown with the autotuned vocals. What utter crap. If I ever see these bellends I will run them over with a Range Rover and do us all a favour.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1220281' date='May 4 2011, 08:59 PM']Nice bass, a mate of mine has a couple of FGN guitars, very good quality.

[/quote]

Thats the second time i've had to endure sitting through watching that video and hearing that song, Just to see if it was as bad as i remember...

...i stand corrected, It was worse.

As for the bass, Love it, colour matching headstock, and a very interesting Bridge type, any close up photos of the hardware etc,
Im sure it plays even better than it looks though. :)

Edited by son of frog

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1220476' date='May 5 2011, 12:15 AM']Where are these basses made?[/quote]
FGN = Fujigen Gakki, probably best known for MIJ Fenders from the early 80s to late 90s, & pretty much all Japanese-made Ibanez & Greco from the 70s onwards.

Fantastic quality instruments whatever the badge, personally I'm a little disappointed the FGN bass range is so conservative & anonymous - some of their guitars are jaw-dropping.

Jon.

These are great looking instruments from one of the finest factories in the world. Hopefully someone will start bringing them into the uk soon. I've heard great things about them. Hope the first gig proves to be blinding with it!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1220464' date='May 5 2011, 12:09 AM']Jesus Christ. I have just nearly destroyed my laptop. That is the worst youtube video I have ever seen. First of all, we have 'the crab' playing bass there, these limp wristed synchronised dance moves etc etc. Some knob playing keys and the dance music breakdown with the autotuned vocals. What utter crap. If I ever see these bellends I will run them over with a Range Rover and do us all a favour.[/quote]

You know, I had - [b]had[/b] - to watch it after that.

Congratulations on the new bass, looks very fine indeed.

[/quote]

That made my eyes bleed in pain...

[quote name='monkeynuts' post='1220929' date='May 5 2011, 12:38 PM']Nom Nom Nom

(The bass that is not that god awful video! Just to clarify!!!)[/quote]

Cheers. That picture really doesn't do the bass justice - it looks 10 times better in the 'flesh'! It just feels solid when I pick it up compared to my Fender. I've never had a custom shop bass for and I'm so appreciative and honoured FGN built and gave me one! It's got a really great snap and punch, lots of low end and warm but with a really nice high end that you can get to 'bite' if you dig in.. which i do!

I'm hoping somebody will start to distribute them in the UK, they really deserve and have blown previous 'high end' bass I have used out of the water!

Oh and yeahhh we ain't the attack attack from the us. thank f***.