Why become a member? ×

New Orleans Funk - anyone know any of these bands?

molan

I'm in N'Awlins at the moment and checking the local gigs.

Already have tickets for Lucinda Williams on Friday and thinking about Greg Allman tomorrow.

Just spotted a 'funk night' full of bands that I know a little bit about but not a huge amount. Anyone know much about all of these?

A local guy told me Dumpstaphunk were 'the nuts' :)

[quote name='molan' post='1219447' date='May 4 2011, 04:35 AM']I'm in N'Awlins at the moment and checking the local gigs.

Already have tickets for Lucinda Williams on Friday and thinking about Greg Allman tomorrow.

Just spotted a 'funk night' full of bands that I know a little bit about but not a huge amount. Anyone know much about all of these?

A local guy told me Dumpstaphunk were 'the nuts' :)[/quote]

Lettuce is one of my favourite funk bands, I highly recommend them!...Dumpstaphunk sound really well too.

Sounds like you're looking at name performers, but if I were you Barrie I'd be walking down a few side streets checking out the bars (Bourbon St and that area IIRC) for at least a few evenings. NO is the best town for live music in the World, you used to be able to walk bar to bar and see a truly fantastic band in every single one. Given what happened in 2005, I'd be interested to hear how things are now.
Enjoy it
C

Go to that gig!!! Lettuce are an outrageously good band and really should be more widely appreciated than they are! I went to see them play in New York on a ferry boat that went up the Hudson and round the statue of Liberty, one of the best gigs (and nights!) of my life. Soulive are a v cool organ trio with some of the guys from Lettuce and Nigel Hall is a name in his own right I think, but I know him as the guy that sings some stuff for lettuce.
Also, I recently went to see the 'Funky Meters' down here in Melbourne with none other than Mr. Porter Jnr on bass, it's defo worth going to check out one of Nawlins masters at work!
Have a great trip man, I'm jealous!!
Craig

Any gig with Stanton Moore on drums is usually worth a look, particularly Galactic:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAJtmDQBvF8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAJtmDQBvF8[/url]

(this clip has George Porter on it too)

Edited by Fat Rich

Lettuce and Soulive are great-both have Eric Krasno on guitar.
Soulive are an organ trio without a strict bass player,but check them out because Neil Evans plays some of the funkiest left hand bass parts.
Lettuce have got a cool funky horn thing going on,but with a kind of hip hop influence in Adam Deitch's drumming.Seriously good.

Dumpstaphunk uses 2 bass players, Tony Hall and Nick Daniels, both ex Neville Brothers.

You probably already know this, but on the 5th May they are at the Contemporary Arts Centre with Soulive and Lettuce. 3 birds with 1 stone!

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' post='1219636' date='May 4 2011, 10:59 AM']Dumpstaphunk uses 2 bass players, Tony Hall and Nick Daniels, both ex Neville Brothers.

You probably already know this, but on the 5th May they are at the Contemporary Arts Centre with Soulive and Lettuce. 3 birds with 1 stone![/quote]

That's the gig I saw - it's actually all of the bands in my title post!

Bit of confused info flying around locally though - some places say it's 2 gigs on the same night. Others suggesting it's a post Jazz Fest thing so won't start until really late at night :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='1219585' date='May 4 2011, 09:15 AM']Hey Barrie, can you get me a copy of the Dumpstaphunk CD? They only sell them at the gigs. Please..................[/quote]

Local shop has 2 for sale - Listen Hear at $11 and Want Sum at $17

First one may be either an EP or an album with a few long tracks!