Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie Bass 400+

Volume

Hi guys

Further to my previous sales, I have to let this beast go, in order to fund my VW Bus project. This amp has been my in backup rig for a while now, and has never let me down. It has stayed at my home for 95% of the time, only being used for personal practise - both at low, and high volumes.

Mesa Boogie Bass 400+s have always recieved good press, and are always hailed as one of the iconic bass heads across the board. They are now discontinued, and are quite rare to find in the used gear marketplace.

The amp which I'm selling was hand-built in Petaluma, California, and the serial number reads B3298 - the amp is currently setup with Handtested Mesa Boogie 5881 6L6 Vaccuum tubes in the poweramp section (12 thereof!!) and Four 12AX7 tubes in the preamp section. It is also housed in an original Mesa Boogie Diesel wood/tolex 4U flightcase for protection.

Contrary to some belief, the tubes in these amps last for years... and I'm assured that the ones currently installed in this amp have a lot of life left in them.

The amp produces 600w of power, and produces this 600w with any combination of speakers - from a single 8ohm cab, through to a pair of 4ohm cabs. There's also a 'Slave out' incase you need any more power (but trust me... unless you're playing Wembley, you'll be okay - This thing really rattles the windows!)

On the front panel, features include a nice shiney blue 'power' LED, a Power switch, Standby switch, fx send & return, rotary dials for Middle, Bass, Treble and Master Volume, and also two inupts (essentially there's one for passive basses and one for active basses) each of which has it's own Volume control (I believe these are similar to more modern amp's 'gain' dials...) Also, a number of the EQ and Volume dials pull-out to produce punchier tone, and for tonal shifts...

Aswell as all of the above mentioned EQ features, there's also a Graphic EQ section which can be activated by a front-panel mounted switch, or via a seperate footswitch.

On the back we have a balanced XLR out, the speaker outputs, Slave out, fx send & return, and a switch for the cooling fans - Low, Off and High.

Anyway - here are a couple of pics of the amp... feel free to PM me, or leave a post if you need any specific pictures, or have any questions about the amp, and I'll do my best to answer.

[u][b]Firstly, the front panel[/b][/u]

[u][b]...And the back panel[/b][/u]

Finally... a price... Well, I've consulted a few people on the forums, and have had a number of figures suggested. Considering the amp's good condition, and the fact that they're now discontinued, and getting quite scarce.... I'm going to ask for [u][b]£850[/b][/u] for the amp... Couriered delivery is not out-of-question, but please bare in mind that this amp weighs A LOT... I may be able to deliver the amp myself for petrol cost, though, or I'll gladly come and meet you somewhere.

Again - feel free to PM me if you need any more specific info, or need any more pictures of the amp

Many thanks

Rich

Looks like a superb example of a truly fantastic amplifier.

Just a quick heads up about the wattage, as it has 12 6l6 tubes then it actually produces around 300w roughly speaking. I can't remember the reason for Mesa saying it produces more, but obviously it will vary with tube life and condition, bias settings etc etc. In actual fact the 'paper' wattage is immaterial - huge thunderous tone when you want it, or huge smooth and detailed tone too. A true classic!

Good luck with the sale. It looks like a winner, this one!

ped

[quote name='ped' post='138876' date='Feb 12 2008, 02:27 PM']It can indeed do a 2ohm load! I never tried it though...

[Edit] - I am PRETTY sure it can, I remember reading up on it when I had one - but not 100% sure. Can anyone correct me?[/quote]

As I say this is just from memory, I seem to recall that I thought it a shame when it was released that it didn't do 2 ohms. The back of the amp indicates 4 & 8 ohm operation but TBH it is a bit confusing with 6 x 1/4" outs! Owners on HC seem to indicate that it will drive a pair of 4 ohm cabs but I'd want it in writing from MB before I tried it :)

I'm not knocking it, nice amp and looks in great condition; it's just that I'd make sure that the operating parameters are specific in case a prospective owner frys things!

[quote name='ped' post='138876' date='Feb 12 2008, 02:27 PM']It can indeed do a 2ohm load! I never tried it though...

[Edit] - I am PRETTY sure it can, I remember reading up on it when I had one - but not 100% sure. Can anyone correct me?[/quote]

It does indeed do 2 ohms.
They're the 2 speaker sockets above the 4 & 8 ohm ones, they are just labelled 'over the edge' above them.

I love mine to bits and it is indeed a powerful old beast. You could do a lot worse!

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='138885' date='Feb 12 2008, 02:40 PM']Use mine at 2 ohms all the time sounds scary :) I wish I had the scratch to buy this but god knows why I need 2 400+'s[/quote]

Do the maths - 400+ 400+ Tayste = HAPPY TAYSTE

Thanks for the kind words folks. The amp is really in excellent condition - I can't see a mark on it... it's lived in the Mesa flightcase all it's life... just a few marks/scuffs on the case itself, but that's what it's built for...

There are no hums, no crackles, no fizzing noises...

tayste - you know you want to!!

Rich

Edited by Volume

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='138903' date='Feb 12 2008, 02:56 PM']I read that and, for one glorious second, I thought "what an amazing piece of labelling" ...

:huh:[/quote]

It should really be labelled "extra push over the cliff" :)

Woah, thats a bargain price too.
I have just bought a 400+
I have seen these go for silly money on the bay. I won't tell you how much I paid for mine....
If you are looking for an amp at the moment, look no further! THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT!!!

*I like mine :)

[quote name='gusto' post='140292' date='Feb 14 2008, 01:42 PM']Woah, thats a bargain price too.
I have just bought a 400+
I have seen these go for silly money on the bay. I won't tell you how much I paid for mine....
If you are looking for an amp at the moment, look no further! THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT!!![/quote]
.....Stoppppp itttt.....

I think I'm developing a problem.

Me too! Ive had two 400+ heads in rigs over the last 10 years and wished I never sold them, but when you need some cash they have to go. I was tempted to buy this sweet looking one, but I cant keep it as a back up to the TFB550-A

Or could I ????????????????

Good luck with the sale, come on guys. Ther must be a metal bassist out there wanting this baby!

[quote name='RIM Basses' post='141252' date='Feb 15 2008, 06:12 PM']Me too! Ive had two 400+ heads in rigs over the last 10 years and wished I never sold them, but when you need some cash they have to go. I was tempted to buy this sweet looking one, but I cant keep it as a back up to the TFB550-A

Good luck with the sale, come on guys. Ther must be a metal bassist out there wanting this baby![/quote]

Yeah i want it but i have just bought an SVT4 Pro! I cant justify owning both,