Why become a member? ×

Amps with only one speaker output...

Bassmurf

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1209889' date='Apr 24 2011, 11:07 AM']Virtually all cabs have various inputs, well if they don't they should have![/quote]
+1 I havent seen a new cab that doesn't have parallel inputs for daisy chaining. Just don't buy cabs with one input.

Noticed something strange on the TC website....they show the BH500 linked up to 3 cabs in the suggested rigs section? Assuming they are all 8 ohm cabs and the BH500 minimum is 4 ohms this will overlaod the BH500. Or are the 210s 16 ohms?

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1209914' date='Apr 24 2011, 11:41 AM']TC state that their amps are compatible with three of their "8 ohm" cabs, but if using any other makes, to only use two 8 ohm cabs.

Talk about making this ohmage thing even more complicated![/quote]

So is this a marketing ploy, make an amp that's 3 ohm capable, but tell everyone it's 4 ohm that can magically work with 3 of their 8 ohm cabs?

Something like that.. My RH450 seems stable into 2 x EBS Proline 410's at a nominal 2 ohms without any issues after a loud three hour rehearsal... But of course that's my choice and I don't recommend this to anyone else...

Equally my HK Basebass 600 is clearly marked "4 ohms only" at the back, but the spec sheet quotes power at 2 ohms.. Again this seems happy driving my EBS rig at 2 ohms... Again this is my choice and I don't recommend anyone else try this in a carefree manner :-)

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='Sparky Mark' post='1209941' date='Apr 24 2011, 12:03 PM']So is this a marketing ploy, make an amp that's 3 ohm capable, but tell everyone it's 4 ohm that can magically work with 3 of their 8 ohm cabs?[/quote]

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='markstuk' post='1209874' date='Apr 24 2011, 10:42 AM']Or you can daisy chain cabs (subject to ohms etc) if your cab has input/output sockets like my EBS 410's do...[/quote]

You can daisy chain cabs? 20 years of playing and I didn't have a scooby doo about that! Knew I should've paid attention in Electronics class at school...doh!

On a similar line, I have an Eden WT405 with only one speakon output and jack output. Is there any difference between using the two outputs for each cab or daisy chain the cabs?

I know it may sound like a stupid question, but hey, I am stupid!

Cheers

Charla

Edited by Charla

[quote name='Charla' post='1210042' date='Apr 24 2011, 02:30 PM']On a similar line, I have an Eden WT405 with only one speakon output and jack output. Is there any difference between using the two outputs for each cab or daisy chain the cabs?

I know it may sound like a stupid question, but hey, I am stupid!

Cheers

Charla[/quote]

It's fairly likely that there's no difference - the different connectors are provided for convenience and most likely wired together (but there's always the faint possibility that they've wired them such that when you plug in to one it disconnects the other - do-able with 1/4" jacks - not sure about Speakons).

So, [u]probably[/u] electrically equivalent to daisy-chaining cabs. Hopefully the manual will tell you.

Not sure if there's any benefit using one method over the other. Personally I'd standardise with speakons and daisy-chain as I think they're a better speaker connector.

[quote name='Charla' post='1210141' date='Apr 24 2011, 05:11 PM']Thanks Mr Tinman, I to feel happier going for the speakon / daisy chain option.

Just wanted to check as i usually only use one 4 ohm cab with the WT405, but using 2 for a couple large out door venues coming up.

Cheers

Charla[/quote]

I don't think there is any difference between daisy chaining and using both outputs, but with the jack speaker output there is more of a risk of accidentally using an instrument cable instead of a proper speaker cable. On the other hand, if you daisy chain, the first cable (connected to the amp) needs to carry double the power/current, it might be worthwhile getting a heavy duty cable for this reason, although I've never heard of it being a problem.

[quote name='Sparky Mark' post='1209909' date='Apr 24 2011, 11:37 AM']I havent seen a new cab that doesn't have parallel inputs for daisy chaining. Just don't buy cabs with one input.[/quote]

A lot of cabs seem to have a single Speakon and a pair of jacks - most inconvenient.

[quote name='Charla' post='1210042' date='Apr 24 2011, 02:30 PM']On a similar line, I have an Eden WT405 with only one speakon output and jack output. Is there any difference between using the two outputs for each cab or daisy chain the cabs?[/quote]
One thing that I always consider is that if you daisy chain from a single output on the amp (assuming you have the option of two) and your first (amp to cab 1) speaker cable fails then you have no output from the amp to either cab and you are left flapping round the back of your rig mid gig/number. Whereas if you can use 2 outputs to 2 separate cabs then if one cable fails at least you have one cab running and can get to the end of the number/gig! Just my views based upon years of gigging where I have a fear of stuff going wrong. :)

Oh and btw none of the above counts if you are using a valve amp because if a speaker cable fails then chances are you'll have a secondary worry very soon! :)

Edited by warwickhunt