Why become a member? ×

RH750 v RH450 First impressions

Muppet

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1212241' date='Apr 27 2011, 01:06 AM']Whats deterring me is: weight and sound.
8lbs is a little heavier than some other amps that are rated for more watts...[/quote]

I think we've reached a new level here - is an 8lb amp which is louder than anyone's ears can cope with too heavy now? Blimey. :)

I can just see us all in Tesco, fainting at the thought of lifting the shopping, standing outside our cars because the door's too heavy to open. God forbid we're ever asked to move the Hoover or put the bins out... :)

[quote name='Muzz' post='1212312' date='Apr 27 2011, 08:46 AM']I can just see us all in Tesco, fainting at the thought of lifting the shopping, standing outside our cars because the door's too heavy to open.[/quote]

Off topic - Volkswagen have thought of that in their new Passat. Wave your foot under the bumper and the boot opens!

Every kilogram counts when you are a public transport user or have to beg for lifts to places with a rig on your back.

After checking everything out the RH750 seems like a sensible choice. I just have to hear it in person with my cabs, to seal the deal.

At the minute I rack up my cab, amp head then another bag full of cables and the like. If the rh750 can fit in my gig bag then that will make it even better.

I do have another question.
As I've been using the LMtube it has both SS and tube preamps so now I fully understand when people talk about tube dynamics. Tube preamps just do something or me that SS I feel will never do.
Does the RH750 emulate this aswell? And how well?

If I can get some holidays in at work soon then I'm on the wu down to London to puck up a bass so may have to take you up on the RH450 offer, if I can try it at Lear at a rehearsal it'll confirm my fears or exceed expectation.

FWIW, I tried a lot of the small heads with tubes in when I moved from my LMIII, and although I tried various Shuttles, the LM Tube and The LM Rocker, surprisingly the one which sounded best was the one without the tube in at all - the TC Classic. I moved onto the RH450 for the bells and whistles (which reduced the carry to a single box - if you're chasing every kg, then you'll be wanting to get rid of any other pedals like tuners, compressors and their associated power supplies, etc) while keeping the core sound. I'm amp-GAS free. YMMV, etc, etc, but the point about built-in tuner and (very good) compression is relevant if weight's so critical to you.

Cause I'm bored On my day off I put everything in the bag I usually use, including a compressor I don't use and a drive I don't use, also relevant power supply and cables.

12lbs all in. With just a tuner 11.6lbs

So I may be saving weight with a RH750. Going to have a look on the web see if any where local will have one for me to try.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1217182' date='May 2 2011, 08:25 AM']Hope to buy a 750 today - it's the future. Thanks for your review Steve, great to see you gracing the board again.[/quote]

Good to hear from you too Alan. If you're successful today I'd be really interested obviously in your thoughts.

Cheers

S

Well well, I used my new 750 on a blues dep and first impressions are extremely impressive. Coming from a Markbass LM Tube 500, this think has so much more punch - especially in the low mids, grunt and presence. I love the built in tuner and the compressor is good too.

This thing oozes quality and feels like it's built for the gigging bassist, it's bloody loud too.

I just used everything flat and didn't have time to experiment with any settings or use the Tweetertone knob - my Stingray 5 just sounded so good plugged straight in. I was using my 8ohm Epifani UL410.

I've got a rehearsal with my 80s trib band tonight so that'll give me an opportunity to have a fiddle with the settings and tomorrow, I've got a theatre gig with my folk rock band so more knob twiddling then.

Really really pleased with it so far and love using it to practice in my den with the 'phones on and no cab. Probably going to order the footswitch today and I'm even thinking of buying an RS210 to try.

I'll do an update on Sunday after the gig,

The footswitch IS worth it with this amp. I sometimes find they are just expensive luxuries, but this pedal oozes quality like the amp! Great to have three presets, a more precise tuner and a mute at your feet!

I didnt know what to expect with the RS cabs, as they, at first, were quite low prices. Now they have caught on that they are actually well praised, the prices have increased a little.

I still think the RS210 is a fantastic cabinet. Small, fairly light, smooth treble response, and looks like a well engineered product. Try and look for the new finish if possible. Even the covers are cheap compared to other cabinets.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1221913' date='May 6 2011, 08:37 AM']I've got a rehearsal with my 80s trib band tonight so that'll give me an opportunity to have a fiddle with the settings and tomorrow, I've got a theatre gig with my folk rock band so more knob twiddling then.[/quote]

Mate, I though you were saying recently that you were done gigging, now you seem to be holding down three bands!
Really interested in hearing about the RH750

Last night was a one-off dep Paul, Silver Dogs do their last gig tomorrow night and the 80s band is just a bit of fun at the moment and I'm just helping them while they get it off the ground. My gigging days are coming to an end - tomorrow could well be my last gig.

I had another blast with the RH750 tonight and I really hope it was the room, but the sound was possibly the worst sound I've ever had and no amount of knob twiddling would make it any better.

It was so bad, I'm going to try and borrow a rig for tomorrow night.

As I said, it could have been the room, it could be a bad match with my UL410...I don't know what the problem is but I'm seriously unhappy as I sit and type this.

Really hope it works out for you.
Don't forget to have a play with the eq points as can make a significant difference.

I had a similar experience on my first gig with an RH450 straight out the box. I struggled to raise a smile all the way through, having lost some definition to what I'd been used to from the likes of EBS and a few other heads.
Wasn't till a few gigs down the line and some experimenting I realised what this amp was about.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1222716' date='May 6 2011, 11:01 PM']....My gigging days are coming to an end - tomorrow could well be my last gig....[/quote]
That's a lot of investment for a "last gig"! I'll have the amp when you're done.

The Epifani puts out a lot of bass so you might need to take bass off from the amp or instrument.

Edited by chris_b