Why become a member? ×

RH750 v RH450 First impressions

Muppet

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1206366' date='Apr 20 2011, 08:20 PM']Yep, currently busy sorting a Tesco order so havent had time to sort them. From first impressions of just quickly opening the Streamliner, it looks VERY cool. No doubt the RH will be awesome.[/quote]
For all the squabbling on bc both of them amp should be ace, I would be happy with either. Your a lucky boy Gareth :)

Tubetone is distortion and Tweetertone is a treble control. You have to look through the bullshit a little bit. :) Thoroughly enjoying my 450 Classic. The compressor is superb and the 'bloom' (dare I say muddiness) of my Trace Elliot has disappeared.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1206467' date='Apr 20 2011, 09:46 PM']For all the squabbling on bc both of them amp should be ace, I would be happy with either. Your a lucky boy Gareth :)[/quote]

I am! Sold two amps, luckily they were mint condition as I am super super crazy about my gear staying nice...so a fair price....then just waited and got a deal whilst I was ordering my Musicmans....so overall I am VERY lucky.

I would like to do a comparison video soon.

[quote name='stevie' post='1206515' date='Apr 20 2011, 10:20 PM']Tubetone is distortion and Tweetertone is a treble control. You have to look through the bullshit a little bit. :)[/quote]

Agreed, but the Tubetone adds something more than distortion....I dont know how....its pretty cool but yeah its like tube grind basically!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1206520' date='Apr 20 2011, 10:22 PM']Agreed, but the Tubetone adds something more than distortion....I dont know how....its pretty cool but yeah its like tube grind basically![/quote]
Yes, I can appreciate what it does, and it's well executed. But valves only add second harmonic distortion - they don't add any other magical ingredient, no matter what toob fans would like to believe. [edit] They also add compression, but that's already sorted on this amp.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1206516' date='Apr 20 2011, 10:21 PM']I am! Sold two amps, luckily they were mint condition as I am super super crazy about my gear staying nice...so a fair price....then just waited and got a deal whilst I was ordering my Musicmans....so overall I am VERY lucky.

I would like to do a comparison video soon.[/quote]
The drummer in my old band scratched the top of my shuttle, I'm thinking of a custom finish or stickers to hide it! I will never sell it anyway even if I bought a new shuttle 9 (or 9.2 is it now ?) for what it would sell for I would rather keep it as a backup head.

What's the EBMM lineup like right now Gareth? :)

It's missing...

3 x presets / support for RC4 footswitch
Inbuilt Tuner
Digital out
And you can't shift the frequency mid points of the tone controls..

[quote name='fretmeister' post='1207264' date='Apr 21 2011, 05:03 PM']Forgive my ignorance here - what is the difference between the RH450 and the Classic?

Is it just the light up controls?[/quote]

[quote name='stevie' post='1206525' date='Apr 20 2011, 10:26 PM']Yes, I can appreciate what it does, and it's well executed. But valves only add second harmonic distortion - they don't add any other magical ingredient, no matter what toob fans would like to believe. [edit] They also add compression, but that's already sorted on this amp.[/quote]

Second harmonic distortion?????pm me so
We don't clutter up this thread.

This tweetertone I'm not convinced about. I have an attenuator on my cab, so if I want it off I turn it off if I want full on high sizzle I turn it up. I'm yet to use a cab that needs an amp to control the tweeter. What if the can has no tweeter, do you have a useless knob?

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1208818' date='Apr 23 2011, 12:44 AM']This tweetertone I'm not convinced about. I have an attenuator on my cab, so if I want it off I turn it off if I want full on high sizzle I turn it up. I'm yet to use a cab that needs an amp to control the tweeter. What if the can has no tweeter, do you have a useless knob?[/quote]
The 450 has a low pass filter built in to it, at 5k, so I've read, the tweetertone controls that, moving it higher or lower, should help with getting brighter more modern tones.

Tweetertone is kind of a silly name for what it is.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1211558' date='Apr 26 2011, 11:33 AM']I think I understand now. Just opens the taps on the high, but useless if your cab doesn't do anything higher than say 3k?
Would have been better calling it hi-fi-tone or modern-tone, but then that doesn't begin with T.[/quote]
I think the logic is that it lets you dial down the tweeter (if you have one) to emulate a vintage cab.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1211562' date='Apr 26 2011, 11:38 AM']I think the logic is that it lets you dial down the tweeter (if you have one) to emulate a vintage cab.[/quote]

I guess there are cabs out there without an attenuator for the tweeter so it does sort of make sense.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1205335' date='Apr 19 2011, 11:01 PM']Mine is due tomorrow. I upgraded simply for the tweetertone and just having the latest one! Sad, isnt it![/quote]
How are you getting on with it? You mentioned on TB that you were having problems with it..?

You arent even going to believe it, because I cant. The mute makes a pop and loud click everytime you engage it. I asked the OP and he hasnt had this, and my 450 never did this. I checked all variables, and even did it without the lead plugged in. Still got a pop everytime.

Weird, so that has to be exchanged as well now.

Next time Ill just stick to what Ive got, this has been very hard work just to get two working amps.

For what it's worth I can tell you how the two compare. I can't compare it with the Streamliner as I've only played one once for a short time and I'd need to have the two side by side to really compare but for what its's worth....

I've done three gigs with the RH750 now. I'm keeping up with a single volume DW-playing drummer and two guitarists pushing Marshall monoblocks through corresponding 4x12s. At the same gig (and approx amp) volumes the 750 is noticeably clearer and brighter, even with the same tone settings and the tweetertone turned off. I found myself tuning the cab attenuator off and back off the high mids slightly. Dialling in the tubetone with the 750 produced the same excellent tube sound as with the 450 but for the same volume it was cutting through much more obviously. My drummer did mention that the 750 sounded a little more clinical to him than the 450. From my point of view I think the 750 has a sharper, tighter definition all round, at the volumes I'm playing at.

As I am fortunate to have the choice to use either of the two units, I prefer the 750. The sound is just a little more what I'm looking for and there's more flexibility in tone adjustment at volume. I don't need the extra power but it's nice to know it's there and I do like the revised compressor placement and the tweetertone.

Whats deterring me is: weight and sound.
8lbs is a little heavier than some other amps that are rated for more watts. The sound, well I'm so used to the LMtube that I love and I haven't heard anything but the GB shuttle 8 in person that comes close.

However, a lot of days when practicing I feel I need a quality compressor, and I'm always taking my TU-2 every where (having a comp and a tuner plus relevant power supply and cables may add up to over 8lbs) but at 9 out of 10 gigs they DI and over compress my sound anyway.

What would be great is if I could try one of these out for a week or 2.

Anyone??? :)

Oh Gareth, you don't get much in the way of good luck anymore do you?.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1212241' date='Apr 27 2011, 01:06 AM']Whats deterring me is: weight and sound.
8lbs is a little heavier than some other amps that are rated for more watts. The sound, well I'm so used to the LMtube that I love and I haven't heard anything but the GB shuttle 8 in person that comes close.

However, a lot of days when practicing I feel I need a quality compressor, and I'm always taking my TU-2 every where (having a comp and a tuner plus relevant power supply and cables may add up to over 8lbs) but at 9 out of 10 gigs they DI and over compress my sound anyway.[/quote]

When it comes down to amps of this size I'm not going to argue about a kilo here and there. I've moved from a SVT4Pro and 610HLF so this amp/cab combination is a breeze. Carrying 4kg v 2kg to and from the boot of my car is not going to break my back, though I'll concede if you're lugging your stuff around on the Tube then every kilo will make a difference.

The compressor and tuner was also a big factor for me (for both the RH450 and RH750) - I was using a Keely compressor and either a rack mounted DTR2000 or a Pitchblack stomp box. These have now gone, to be replaced with the footswitch.

The sound is always going to be subjective, however and the only way as you say is for you to try it out. I tried with the Markbass stuff and failed and at the end of the day, you can find the lightest, most function packed, most powerful amp in the world but if it just doesn't do it for your ears then no amounts of internet reviews will change your mind!

If you want to borrow my RH450 for a week or so come and get it.