Why become a member? ×

Squier Classic Vibe 50's P Bass Butterscocth Blonde

Grand Wazoo

If anyone here knows my bad habits, you will know that one of these filthy habits is to mod Classic Vibe Squiers till they are hardly recognizable. Some become pillars of my collections other are moved on to the next thrill seeking modding season! :) - My Fiesta Red Classic Vibe is one of those that was very good to start with and with a new maple neck, a Lollar pickup, Fender 70 Reissue reverse tuners and cts pots and quality wiring, became so good that only over my dead body can leave my fleet.

So now... without fail, my very good looking yet "mediocre-to-sh|te" sounding and average playing butterscotch P Bass is heading that way fast.

I thought to myself I have already tried Lollars, Seymour Duncan of many kind, Vintage, Quarter Pound, Antiquity II, Stacked Humbuckers, the lot! So this time I've decided to try something else, unfortunately I've emailed Wizard Pickups and they are not doing a single coil tele type pickups nor are they interested to do one.

So after many recommendations I have gone for a Lindy Frailin, the standard wind 6.5K not the extra hot one from 6K to 8K but I have gone for the split one, which is hum cancelling, one of the issues with these Tele basses is the hum they produce and I want to give this Frailin a go to see if it really does what it says on the tin.

From the Frailin Site:

[b][i]"Great single coil tone replacement for 50's and re-issues. Stock wind is 6.5K but can be wound from 6k-8k. Also available in "Split" version for hum- cancelling"[/i][/b]

The one I am getting is quite similar to this one but it's split in the middle with two separate coils on the same footprint, should ber interesting.

Also on order is a bone nut, a set of Vintage reissue tuners and bushings, also the usual set of waxed cloth wires, cts pots, switchkraft socket and shieding film.

Average wait for all the parts is of about 2-3 weeks, but by the time I've finished with it I am confident this will join the ranks of the Fiesta Red Classic Vibe and become another keeper rather than a passer-by

So far only a maple tug bar / finger rest has replaced the cheap hollow black plastic one

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='redstriper' post='1203908' date='Apr 18 2011, 06:29 PM']I look forward to seeing and hearing the results - will you fit period correct flat wound strings too?[/quote]

Unfortunately I am not a fan of flats, though I've tried them many times I just can't bond with them

[quote name='arsenic' post='1203916' date='Apr 18 2011, 06:35 PM']If the Lindy lives up to the reputation, that is going to sound immense.

Personally, the only other change I would change is the pickguard - maybe a black tortoise shell p just to add a a little interest to the expanse of black.

Have fun :)[/quote]

I have a black tortoise pickguard on my butterscotch Japanese Fender 51 RI. I like it, but I know that most people would prefer to keep to the original plain black.

I've also got two Seymour Duncan SPB3 pickups (Additional pickup in the bridge position) and a badass III bridge. I'm about to fit a switch to allow the options of using either or both pickups.

It's a very unique and interesting bass. Plays and sounds wonderfully.

These style of bassses are lovely things. Full of character. Yours is very pretty Grand Wazoo.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' post='1206562' date='Apr 20 2011, 11:06 PM']Why not try the Seymour Duncan SPB3?

Of course, I haven't heard the Fralin as a comparison, but I can tell you that the SPB3 sounds nice and fat but grindy. And the price is very reasonable.

Frank.[/quote]

I had one in my previous 50 Classic Vibe the blue one, I did like it a lot, but I want to try something else. Thanks, its ok I can wait that time. I mean its not as if i dont have anything else to play :)

[url="http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/Dingwall%20Collection/?albumview=slideshow"]SLIDESHOW[/url]

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1206638' date='Apr 21 2011, 12:25 AM']I had one in my previous 50 Classic Vibe the blue one, I did like it a lot, but I want to try something else. Thanks, its ok I can wait that time. I mean its not as if i dont have anything else to play :lol:

[url="http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/Dingwall%20Collection/?albumview=slideshow"]SLIDESHOW[/url][/quote]

"Mum, I want to go and play at GW's house. I promise I'll be back by tea time."

"Why do you want to go there?"

" He's got the nicest Toys."

:) :) :D

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1206638' date='Apr 21 2011, 12:25 AM']I had one in my previous 50 Classic Vibe the blue one, I did like it a lot, but I want to try something else. Thanks, its ok I can wait that time. I mean its not as if i dont have anything else to play :)

[url="http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/Dingwall%20Collection/?albumview=slideshow"]SLIDESHOW[/url][/quote]

Mate, I think there's something wrong with your camera. All your basses seem a bit wonky!

[quote name='Tait' post='1207030' date='Apr 21 2011, 01:16 PM']Mate, I think there's something wrong with your camera. All your basses seem a bit wonky![/quote]

If I had a quid for everytime someone's said that, I'd have probably made my money back on all them wonky basses by now :)

• 11 years later...

Unearthing this topic.

Did the Fralin split 51 eventually arrive and how did it sound ?

I am considering having the samed upgrade on the same lovely bass, and wondering if the magnet stagger is an issue or not. The flat profile on the original pickup sound just fine, and I would fear a volume varation between the strings with the raised pole pieces.

8 hours ago, claustra said:

Unearthing this topic.

Did the Fralin split 51 eventually arrive and how did it sound ?

I am considering having the samed upgrade on the same lovely bass, and wondering if the magnet stagger is an issue or not. The flat profile on the original pickup sound just fine, and I would fear a volume varation between the strings with the raised pole pieces.

I had one in my CIJ Fender 50 reissue.

Sounded better compared to the original and killed the hum which was my main reason for changing it.

That was a good few years back, the bass came and went but I have bought another 50's since then :) (stock pickup still)

• Thanks 1