Why become a member? ×

Status Strings

oldslapper

I ordered some strings from Status 13 March, not arrived yet! I called them 2 weeks ago to ask about delivery, they said they would be with me soon, and implied that I was being a bit impatient??

Is this normal for Status strings? Is each set hand made from scratch, is this normal? Am I being unreasonable?

What's the normal lead time for Hotwires in your experience?

I ended up ordering a different make from another supplier in the end, and they have arrived at the luthiers' who is making me a bass.

John

[quote name='oldslapper' post='1202404' date='Apr 17 2011, 10:01 AM']I ordered some strings from Status 13 March, not arrived yet! I called them 2 weeks ago to ask about delivery, they said they would be with me soon, and implied that I was being a bit impatient??

Is this normal for Status strings? Is each set hand made from scratch, is this normal? Am I being unreasonable?

What's the normal lead time for Hotwires in your experience?

I ended up ordering a different make from another supplier in the end, and they have arrived at the luthiers' who is making me a bass.

John[/quote]

I always buy my strings from Rob and Dawn and yes sometimes it is a lil slow..... I've had to wait a couple of weeks before but normally delivery is around 4 days from order

Dunno about the strings, as I have not yet ordered any - but I bought a hard case from them a few weeks ago and it took over two weeks to arrive. Not too bad ten years ago maybe, but I ordered an espresso coffee machine on Amazon last November. Order placed 4pm on friday evening, delivered 9am the next day!!

Unusual maybe, but I think any delivery from within the UK that takes more than three or four days now is poor.

[quote name='oldslapper' post='1202404' date='Apr 17 2011, 10:01 AM']I ended up ordering a different make from another supplier in the end, and they have arrived at the luthiers' who is making me a bass.[/quote]

And that's the bottom line right there. Companies that cannot compete (on price, service, delivery times, etc.) will lose business. It's a tough world.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I thought they might have been hand rubbed on the thighs of Essex virgins, which was why they took so long. :)

The delay wouldn't be such an issue but the new build has been delayed as a result.

I heard good things about the Hotwires, however I can't see me using Status again......by the looks of things I'll never get to use Hotwires, full stop.

I do try and support Bristish manufacturers where possible, but come on...a month for a set of basic strings. Dawn was very pleasant when I called, but it didn't quicken the delivery time.

John

[quote name='Conan' post='1202407' date='Apr 17 2011, 10:05 AM']Dunno about the strings, as I have not yet ordered any - but I bought a hard case from them a few weeks ago and it took over two weeks to arrive. Not too bad ten years ago maybe, but I ordered an espresso coffee machine on Amazon last November. Order placed 4pm on friday evening, delivered 9am the next day!!

Unusual maybe, but I think any delivery from within the UK that takes more than three or four days now is poor.[/quote]

Bit of an unfair comparison.... a multi million pound organisation compared to a cottage industry company. I'd like to see how it would fair if you were trying to return your coffee machine.... I'm sure if you were returning something to Status they'd sort it much much quicker than Amazon would

[quote name='Conan' post='1202407' date='Apr 17 2011, 10:05 AM']Dunno about the strings, as I have not yet ordered any - but I bought a hard case from them a few weeks ago and it took over two weeks to arrive. Not too bad ten years ago maybe, but I ordered an espresso coffee machine on Amazon last November. Order placed 4pm on friday evening, delivered 9am the next day!!

Unusual maybe, but I think any delivery from within the UK that takes more than three or four days now is poor.[/quote]

MB1. :)
An espresso machine? but i bet you cant put your bass in it?..............Or maybe you can? :)

[quote name='MB1' post='1202534' date='Apr 17 2011, 12:19 PM']MB1. :)
An espresso machine? but i bet you cant put your bass in it?..............Or maybe you can? :)[/quote]

perhaps they were out of stock

I ordered a set of double ball online, i had an email from dawn the next day to say they had been dispatched. Arrived 2 days later

Im sending my S2 back to Status for a refinish next month im hoping not to be without it for to long

I've bought loads of sets from them & they've always been really good with posting them. Ordered some strings on Wednesday & had an e-mail on Thursday saying they're in the post so expecting them over the next couple of days.

I think they're quite a small operation now in terms of staff, but considering how much they charge for their strings it's worth giving them another chance - I'm really impressed with mine!

Cheers,

B.

Every company, no matter how large or small, is going to have a glitch in supply from time to time. In my experience Amazon is no exception to that either. I have ordered many sets from Status and I think only once had to wait more than a few days. Status only has Dawn to handle the despatch of all goods and is very efficient at it too. They have bent over backwards for me once in the past so I will naturally defend them. Rob and his team make the best basses as well.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='BassBus' post='1209009' date='Apr 23 2011, 10:47 AM']Every company, no matter how large or small, is going to have a glitch in supply from time to time. In my experience Amazon is no exception to that either. I have ordered many sets from Status and I think only once had to wait more than a few days. Status only has Dawn to handle the despatch of all goods and is very efficient at it too. They have bent over backwards for me once in the past so I will naturally defend them. Rob and his team make the best basses as well.[/quote]

Rob has been very helpful with information on Status basses I have owned in the past. Dawn was very polite and pleasant when I called 2 weeks after not receiving the strings. I'm sure everyone is lovely and I know there basses are top notch.

But it has held up the new build by 2-3 weeks, and I gave the maker a definite time scale. Fortunately another supplier have provided strings and it looks like I'll get the bass before the tour, but no thanks to Status.
My OP was to inquire whether 2 weeks was normal. It clearly isn't. Maybe I was unlucky, but no communication from Status during the process is poor.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1209108' date='Apr 23 2011, 12:32 PM']I've never had a problem with ordering from them. Maybe it's the actual postal service ?[/quote]

Yeah, the service levels on standard mail are not what you'd expect - I think it's fifteen working days before you can register something as lost. Luckily my latest Status order turned up today despite the bank holiday...

Cheers,

B.